Friday, May 16, 2014

Bearing Fruit in God's Kingdom


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

This week I bought vegetable starts and ran a roto-tiller over my garden.  I know it is early.  I have often been told not to plant before Memorial Day.  I actually remember one year planting vegetables on May 11, and that night after I planted it froze.  I bought my vegetables this year where I have bought them for over 20 years.  Buying early gave me a good selection.  But, as we were talking about gardening this year the owner of the nursery told me, “You can buy them now, BUT, I recommend you still don’t plant till Memorial Day.” 

 

There is something wholesome and soul-restoring about tilling the soil, pulling weeds, fertilizing and composting, planting and harvesting.  Growing vegetables and other plants teaches patience.  Working with vegetables and plants also teaches that we rely on the Lord for the warmth, the rain, and the growth in our gardens.  There was a time, not so long ago in the history of our country, when the majority of people made their living by farming.  That’s not the case today.  In fact, today if you ask a child where food comes from they will often answer, “The store.”  When we lose the opportunity and experience of farming, the opportunity of waiting on and trusting in the Lord to provide, we can also lose the ability to see that God really does provide.

 

There are also other lessons to learn from farming.  I don’t just plant a garden because I like getting my hands dirty (though that does give me enjoyment).  I also plant my vegetable garden because I expect to harvest cabbage, and carrots and radishes.  I plan to eat potatoes, lettuce, swiss chard, and broccoli.  I am hoping that the labor I invest will result in fruits from my labor. 

 

God has similar expectations.  Jesus said in John 15, "1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. . . 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”  Jesus said that God expects fruit.  He cuts off branches that don’t bear fruit.  God even prunes those that do bear fruit. 

 

God has given His Son, Jesus.  Jesus gave His blood to pay for our sins and to save us for eternal life.  God calls us to faith as He plants the Word in our hearts, and He expects a response to His love.  Galatians says that fruit in God’s kingdom is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control.”  In other words, God doesn’t just lavish us with His sacrificial love. God also expects to see us respond to His love.  Have others commented about your integrity?  Has anyone said they would like the peace and joy you exhibit?  Has anyone told you that you make a difference for good in the world? 

 

I put a lot of time and even some financial investment into my garden (I probably spend more on the garden than the vegetables I harvest would cost at the store.)  But, I do expect a return on the investment of my work and my resources.  God has given the blood of His Son Jesus to love us, to save us, to call us as His forgiven children, and to send us as His redeemed disciples.  Is God’s love bearing fruit in your life?  This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”  (John 15:8)

 

A Child of God, Desiring to respond to God’s love with Fruit for His kingdom,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I still have not planted my garden . . . YET!

 

P.P.S.  Here is a picture I cherish from a fishing trip this past Monday.  Do you see the smiles?  I think this kind of investment bears fruit in other ways.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6014205872188209249/6014205878911802162?banner=pwa&pid=6014205878911802162&oid=114993745799525883148

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment