Friday, November 11, 2016

Thankful the Lord is God


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

This past week I visited the homes of a number of people who were seriously ill, or home bound for some reason.  In order to bring strength in the midst of trials I read Psalm 46, one of my favorite Psalms.  When we look at verses 1-3 of Psalm 46, I think a person can see why these words of God are appropriate in times of personal crisis.

 

1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”

 

In other words, when I am in trouble God has not left me.  In fact, God is “an ever-present help in trouble.”  When I really need Him, He doesn’t just help.  He is an ever-present help.  When my world is falling apart and it seems “the earth gives way”, God has not forgotten me.  His love in this life and His gift of eternal life in Jesus can be, and should be, my “refuge and strength!”  Ultimately, when trouble comes I can face those trials because God loves and strengthens and helps me.

 

Sometimes we are all surprised by the trials of life.  But, the Lord has not promised us a world with no troubles.  The world God originally created was good.  But God’s children, through the deceit and encouragement of our enemy, the devil, rebelled and acted in pride.  Through this rebellion and pride, our world was afflicted and cursed with selfishness, disobedience, pain, trouble, and death. 

 

God knows we face suffering, pain, and trouble because we live in a sinful and rebellious world.  (For example read Psalm 50:15, John 14:1-2, John 16:33, Romans 8:35-39, 2 Corinthians 1:3-5.)  So, knowing we live in a world of trouble, true wisdom is not found in trying to escape reality.  True wisdom is finding how we can live with integrity, with faithfulness, and with character in those times of trouble.  Again, God says we can face life’s troubles because HE is our refuge and strength.

 

As I was reading through Psalm 46 with our people this week, in the background to their trials was the whole drama of the national election.  I was struck with how this Psalm also spoke to the election surprise many experienced this week.

 

“6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.  7 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.  8 Come and see the works of the LORD, the desolations he has brought on the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.”

 

In other words, kingdoms rise and fall.  Leaders come and go.  Political turmoil and surprises are nothing new.

 

In the midst of this turmoil, however, God acts.  Our Heavenly Father sent His Son to save the world from its selfishness and sin.  When we rebelled, God fought that rebellion in love.  As kings and nations move to exert power in acts of war, God acts in Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross to defeat the forces of sin and death.  In fact, the ultimate reality for life is the love of God.   So, we can face the trials of life in the strength of His love.  We can face illness, we can face life or death, we can face political turmoil and nations rising and falling, because God is “an ever-present help.”

 

That is why God tells us, 10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." 11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

 

Life can overwhelm us.  Many can and do claim power.  But, only the Lord is God.  So we can be still in the noise of this world.  11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

 

A Child of God, Thankful The Lord is GOD!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment