Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Finding Strength in the Presence of God


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

Last week was quite a week.  I’m sure you all felt it.

 

But, in addition to the earthquake, first, for me was preparation for our yearly Voters’ Meeting.  This is an important meeting for our work at St. John dealing with issues like elections and people committed to doing God’s work in the congregation, dealing with issues like a budget and church finances, dealing with important issues like building repairs.

 

On top of the preparation for that meeting, I was personally facing the emotional stress of announcing my retirement date.  I have really struggled with this decision.  I believe I made the right decision, at least I believe so right now.  Someone did later text me a message of support.  They facetiously said they would not stay mad at me for long. I replied that, “In some ways I’m mad at me.”  The stress of that announcement was present for me all week.

 

And then on Friday the earthquake hit.  It was the biggest earthquake I’ve experienced.  Perhaps you read my devotion last Friday.  There was a shaking and quaking in the roads and buildings and homes which we all experienced.  Then, there are all the nerves and emotions that were shaken up.  Our dogs are still in the “extremely needy” category.  The nerves of many people are still on edge, as well, as each new aftershock hits.

 

So, when all these issues are tugging on our minds and hearts, how does God help us?  Where does God send us?  The Lord simply tells us that . . . He is with us.

 

In last week’s Old Testament Lesson God promises the struggling people of Israel that He really is coming.  14 "'The days are coming,' declares the LORD, 'when I will fulfill the gracious promise I made to the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. 15 "'In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David's line; he will do what is just and right in the land. 16 In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. This is the name by which it will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.' Jesus is the righteous branch who came from David’s line and brings salvation and safety to God’s people with His presence.  As God says, "'The days are coming,” (Jeremiah 33:14-16)

 

When Jesus was with His disciples, getting ready to leave this world, He nevertheless promised that He is always with them.  “ . . . surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." With the knowledge of Jesus’ presence, the disciples could themselves “make disciples of all nations.”  (Matthew 28:20 b)

 

When Jesus left this earth and ascended into heaven, He promised to physically come again.  Angels told the disciples, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)  Jesus IS coming again!

 

When a mother leaves a child with someone else so she can go to work, so she can go shopping, or simply so she can do some other chore, often the baby will reach out to mom, crying.  Baby wants the one they trust.  Baby wants mom.

 

When we face the stresses of life we not only want God, we need God.  And, throughout history, God promises He is with us.  So, in this Advent-Christmas season, it might help simply to remember the words of the angel about the name of Jesus.  22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:22-23)

 

When important issues stress us, when the earth shakes, when life changes, God is with us.  He came as Jesus.  He is with us today.  He is coming again to take us to be with Himself forever in heaven.  God is with us in His love.  God is with us with His grace and forgiveness and strength.  God is with us promising eternal life in His presence.  God’s presence in our lives gives us strength to go forward in the stresses, in the disasters, and in the changes we face.

 

A Child of God, Finding Strength in the Presence of God,

Pastor Jonathan   

 

P.S.  Ethan now has an Alaskan phone number.  You might want to put this in your records: 907-982-2074.

 

P.P.S.  Tuesday I read the Christmas story to the Parent Share Preschool Cubs class.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9FNdFASxh3UzrDvU7

 

P.P.P.S.  I took Mary and some grandkids fishing on Monday.  Lots of fishing, no catching.  We left too late.  Here are some beautiful pictures taken by Mary.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gQWKiiDWmbELipbG9

 

P.P.P.P.S.  For those who were not at the Voters’ Meeting, I am including at the end of this devotion the statement I read at that meeting concerning my retirement.

 

P.P.P.P.P.S.  Also included at the end of this message is an excerpt from our denomination concerning spiritual resources in time of a disaster, like an earthquake.

 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment