Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Thankful for the Wisdom of Jesus' Cross in our MESSY Lives


Dear Friends and Fellow Children of God,

 

Last weekend Kathy and I used a Christmas gift we received in 2018.  Our daughter, Mary, gave us tickets on the Alaska Railroad to Seward, for September 13 and 14.  So, on Friday morning, in the rain, we rode down to Seward on the train.  But, Saturday was an exceptionally beautiful day.  We walked around town in the warmth and the sun.  We visited some shops, ate some seafood, talked to a few fishermen, and generally took it easy.  I even bought a fishing lure.  J  Saturday evening, we enjoyed a ride on the train through the beauty of the Alaskan fall, returning home around 10:00 p.m.

 

As our trip concluded, the conductor came on the microphone and said some of the things conductors and flight attendants are supposed to say at the end of a trip.  “We know that you had other options for travel.  Thank you for choosing us.”  But, then our  conductor gave a little personal commentary.  He stated a conviction he had come to, and he made a request.  The conductor continued, “Our country seems to be heading in the wrong direction.  We are not as kind to one another as we once were as a nation.  I have made a decision, and I ask you to consider doing the same.  Would you please consider treating one another the way you would like to be treated?  We would all be better for it.”

 

Christians recognize this request from the conductor as what we call “The Golden Rule.”  In the sermon on the Mount Jesus teaches His followers.  “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,” (Matthew 7:12)  There is wisdom in these words of Jesus.  Imagine if people in our world actually thought about others before acting.  Imagine if we did not act in selfishness, or greed, or with a mean spirit.  There would be no more crime, no more racism, no more abuse.  If people treated each other the way they wish to be treated themselves, our country, our world, and our homes would much more be places of love and peace.

 

As I write this devotion I confess to you that I have been the recipient of such kindness.  I have been trying to get down to our cabin in Sterling since July.  But work and travel and fires have kept me away.  One reason I wanted to visit the cabin was to get in some fishing.  However, I also have had some work to do on our cabin.  The cabin was moved onto our property in May.  But, I have never yet put up the skirting around the bottom of the cabin. The skirting is insulated, so it helps keep the cabin warm in the winter.  I have dealt with the electric, with the gas or the propane, and with some decorating and supplies.  I have also painted the cabin.  But, I never got the time to do this pretty big job of measuring and cutting the skirting to fit the cabin’s new location. 

 

So, I left home on Tuesday morning for our cabin, and on the way I called Wayne Mize.  Wayne is a member of Star of the North Lutheran Church in Kenai.  We’ve known each other for 20-25 years.  Wayne lives near our cabin, and is a little more ‘handy’ than I am.  He has already given me some advice.  That’s why, on the way down to the cabin Tuesday afternoon I called Wayne to let him know I was driving down, and that I would be working on the skirting.  I needed a few supplies for the job, so I went to the store.  When I returned from the buying supplies, who was already at my cabin, but Wayne!  We worked in the rain on Tuesday evening and, in spite of a few challenges, we got the skirting up around the front of the cabin.  And, as I was washing dishes on Wednesday morning, Wayne showed up again around 8:00 a.m.!  His knowledge and advice, his help and his extra tools, helped us finish the skirting around 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon.  Now, I did not ask Wayne to show up.  I did not specifically ask him to help.  But, I guess you could say that Wayne knew the job I was facing and he followed the teachings of Jesus.  “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,”

 

Wayne is not the only one who has helped me on these projects, either.  Harvey Kolberg stopped by in June and helped me with the appliances.  Pastor George Rakos has visited and given me helpful advice.  Pastor Tony Schultz offered to come down in September and help me paint.  (But I had already done the painting in June.)  It is such a blessing to have friends who offer to help, even when they are not asked.  Our world would be a much better place if we all followed the wisdom of God.

 

However, while it would be good if everyone acted in kindness, thinking of others, we know that this is not the case.  In fact, even Christians who know Jesus’ teaching, still fail to act in faith and love.  Even when we want to follow Jesus, we can and do fail.  We all struggle with our sinful nature.  That is why our world is in such a mess.

 

So, God’s even greater wisdom is vital.  Paul wrote to the believers in Corinth, “22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.”  (1 Corinthians 1:22-25) 

 

For a world that is truly “a mess”, God’s greatest wisdom is the cross of Christ!  Jesus was not just kind, He sacrificed His life to pay for the sin and evil in our world, to bring love and salvation from God.  When we have failed to act in kindness, we can and do have a new start in the forgiveness of Jesus won on the cross.  When others do not treat us with love or civility, we can act as Jesus did; we can pick up our cross and love even those who have not loved us.  This wisdom of the cross not only makes the world a better place to live, it saves us from ourselves!

 

It was a pleasant surprise to hear the train conductor share the teachings of Jesus at the end of our trip.  I’m not even sure if he knew that He was sharing the wisdom of God.  But, we all need God’s wisdom, especially the wisdom of the cross.

 

A Child of God, Thankful for the Wisdom of Jesus’ Cross in our Messy Lives,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are some pictures from the cabin. 

·       This picture is some decorating I did.  We received many thoughtful gifts at my retirement.  I was able to hang some artwork, including the cutouts of salmon, trout, char, and grayling. (Thank you Grieses and Hecks for the fish!  J )  https://photos.app.goo.gl/QTK5iVAsXX5cSXgp8

 

·       These are the four sides if the cabin with the skirting up.  I still have some trim to do and steps to install.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/A5VsKsBgrivSHjR9A

 

 

 

******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION – I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, “Thoughts from the Pastor.”  However, with life’s changes I will now call it, “Journeys Through Life as a Child of God.”  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

 

******

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment