Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Reliving Fond Memories Through Easter Worship on the Radio


Dear Fellow Children of God,



Do you remember ever getting in trouble?  I still find troubles as an adult, but, when I was a young child, it seems I was always being disciplined, usually with good cause, for something I had done.  One memorable spanking I received was on the front steps of the church we attended when I was a small child, Trinity Lutheran Church in Easthampton, MA.  For years, my parents’ normal practice was to sit up front during the worship service, on the left side of the church.  One Sunday, when I was 4 years old, I was sitting in the pew with my parents and my little brother, and I started swinging my legs, which didn’t yet reach the floor. As I swung my legs I kicked the pew, making quite a bit of noise.  My dad, sitting next to me, told me to stop.  But, I continued  making noise.  My dad told me again, “Stop that.”  But, I don’t know, I guess I just wanted to do what I wanted to do.  I was headstrong.  And, in my family that willful disobedience was worse than any actual transgression.  I was willingly dis-obeying my dad’s direct orders.  So, the third time I swung my legs, kicked the pew, and disturbed others, my dad didn’t tell me to stop any more.  He picked me up during the worship service, carried me out the front door. and gave me a spanking on the front steps of the church, in front of God and everybody, as they say.



However, that is not the end of my story.  In those days our congregation broadcast our 10:30 a.m. worship services over WHMP, the most listened to radio station in our area at that time.  After my spanking, my dad and I couldn’t return to the church building because I was now making noise with my crying.  So, he took me to the car.  Dad started our vehicle and turned on the church service on the radio.  Even outside the church building, I still ended up listening to church through the broadcast of that service.



I look back on this personal experience now with a smile, even though 62 years ago I responded with tears. “Training up a child in the way he should go” (Proverbs 22:6) is an important job of a parent. Children, children of all ages, need to know that they are not the center of the universe.  God is the LORD of all. Therefore, our loving Father calls children to learn to obey at an early age.  It is easier to learn that lesson of humility and obedience early in life.  God calls parents to bring their children up in the “discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4) in order to teach this lesson. This does not mean parents are to abuse their children, or to administer discipline out of anger. But, children do need to know the difference between right and wrong.  More importantly, we all need to know that we break God’s law, but that our Heavenly Father calls us back, in repentance and in faith, to His love and to His forgiveness in Jesus.  



The event which brought this personal story back to mind was Easter worship this past week at St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer.  All churches are scrambling during our coronavirus response of social distancing.  When our government, seeking to provide protection for it’s people, requires citizens not to gather in groups larger than 10, and when our government requires those gathered to keep at least 6-10 feet of separation, churches can no longer meet in their traditional manner.  One way that St. John met this challenge was that people gathered in cars in the parking lot of St. John as Easter Sunrise worship was broadcast live over KVRF, 89.7 FM, Radio Free Palmer - Big Cabbage Radio.  (Thank you to Mike Chmieleski for making this possible!)  Actually, Kathy and I listened to this worship service live, by computer, from where we are sheltering in place in FL. Then, on Monday, we watched the 10:00 a.m. worship service on St. John’s Facebook page.



The day I was disciplined in worship my dad taught me a lesson.  The lesson I learned was that worship is important, and, if possible we attend church services.  When I was a child, our family did not just attend in order to obey God’s law and keep the Sabbath.  We participated in the ministry of God’s Church because that gave us a chance to grow and to practice who we were, children of God.  It seems, when the doors of the church opened, my family was there.  Yet, I don’t remember ever resenting church attendance.  God’s family was where I found real purpose in life, where I had friends who cared about me.  Our congregation was where I served, where I grew, and where God blessed us. 



So, worship is important.  As I was kept from the live service by an act of discipline over 60 years ago, I still participated in worship on the radio.  A similar thing happened last Sunday.  People were kept from Easter worship in the church building by the community response to an epidemic.  But, God’s children at St. John, and hopefully many other people in the community as well, still got to participate in praising God and receiving His blessings by the old technology of FM radio.



The writer to the Hebrews instructed those Christians, in God inspired words, saying, 23 “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”  (Hebrews 10:23-25) Worship is not just between believers and God.  Gathering together for worship is a way that God’s children help one another.  Worship IS important!  That is why we don’t neglect to gather.



Jesus told His disciples, “Because I live, you also will live.” (John 14:19)  The Easter event is the core of the Christian faith.  God’s own Son confronted our rebellion and our sin.  Jesus waged battle against the consequences of our sin.  He fought against death and judgement, and defeated these enemies of ours, with His death on the cross, paying for our sins.  Jesus defeated our enemies of sin, death, and judgment with His resurrection from the dead, overcoming death.  The core of the Christian faith IS Easter.  “Because I live, you also will live.”



I can’t think of a better reason than Easter to find a creative way to worship.  Thanks to all who made Easter worship possible over the radio!  It even brought back some fond memories of worship.  He is risen!  He is risen indeed!  Alleluia!!



A Child of God, Reliving Fond Memories Through Easter Worship on the Radio,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.   Wouldn’t it be neat if St. John worship services were broadcast EVERY Sunday?



P.P.S.  Here are some pictures from Easter Sunrise service at St. John, and even some short video from that service.  These were taken by our daughter, Mary.  I love the response to “He is risen!  He is risen indeed!  Alleluia!”  Listen for the honks!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/oDTNAFGLzk4BKtiJ6



P.P.P.S. While in Florida I have done some gardening.  Here are pictures of tomatoes we have raised.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/y41YGfzLe29FHD1D8



P.P.P.P.S.  I do continue to fish.  Here is a picture from a fishing trip with my brother Stephen on Lake Henderson in Inverness, FL.  Thunder storms prevented our trip on Tuesday.  It is not smart to get into an aluminum boat during thunder and lightning!   On Thursday’s trip, we caught 2 mudfish, 2 bass, and had other bites.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZgqYXWT4rTRtpYSp6











*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I will now call it "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked o receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving them.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive them, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.

No comments:

Post a Comment