Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Praying for the Church of Jesus, For the Relationships Between Pastor and People

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

A couple of months ago I received a phone call from a former member of St. John.  The lady told me, “I want you to do my funeral.”  Well, first of all, she is still alive.  Some may consider it odd that someone who is alive is nevertheless thinking about the service held at the time of their death.  Yet, I’ve also had other people who are currently living ask that favor from me.  In reality, preparing ahead of time for the details that surround our death is a gift and a blessing to loved ones.  Then our family or friends don’t have to make those difficult decisions in a time of emotional loss and turmoil.

 

But, the part of this conversation that was perhaps more interesting to me is that this lady was a former member of St. John.  She had left the congregation where I was pastor and joined another church, actually a number of other churches.  When I met with her to discuss the possibility and plans for her funeral, she even made a further statement that really surprised me.  “When we belonged to St. John we were the happiest we were in any congregation.”  I wanted to ask, “Then why did you leave?”  But, in truth I knew some of the circumstances around their search for a new faith home.  I didn’t think, and I am now sure, that it was nothing I personally did to make this family seek another church home.  But, I will be honest.  Disagreements with members are one of the biggest struggles for Christian pastors.  When I served as pastor and folks were upset with me, and when I knew of the disagreement, those bruised feelings would often keep me awake at night. 

 

I once read an article in one of our Lutheran magazines that talked about pastor-people conflict.  One assertion was that a large majority of pastors had even considered resigning, or changing professions, in the previous 6 months.  An article I read from Ministry Magazine in preparing for this devotion said, “Conflicts between churches and their pastors are becoming more frequent. Reasons are many and varied. Whatever the causes, pastor-parishioner conflicts are so frequent that they absorb too much time and energy and inhibit God's work at many levels.

 

We should not be surprised that such conflict occurs.  Pastors, church leaders, and all Christians are in the church because we are sinful people who need a Savior, who need the grace and the forgiveness of Jesus.  In every one of the New Testament Epistles, or letters in the Bible, disagreements are addressed and dealt with.  So, even though we are often surprised to find disagreement in God’s church which preaches faith and love, it should not be a shock to find conflict in today’s churches.

 

I experienced the flip side of this coin with an e-mail this week from the people of Anchorage Lutheran Church.  The e-mail had a fall picture declaring, “October is Pastor Appreciation Month.”  1 Thessalonian 5:12-13 was referenced.  These verses from God’s word say, 12 Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other.”

 

In my personal devotions on Wednesday, October 14, I read through 1 Timothy 5, where Paul instructs Pastor Timothy and the church in Ephesus, 17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18 For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."  19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.”  Paul is encouraging a healthy relationship between pastor and people.

 

The letter to the Hebrews instructs that congregation, 17 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.”  If you read this verse you can see that God’s church is made up of fallen people.  Both people and pastors may struggle.  But, the responsibility of a pastor is overwhelming: to give an account to God for the souls of those people whom he is called to shepherd!  It doesn’t help when this large responsibility becomes burdensome, rather than a joyful service of for Lord.

 

The word “pastor” comes from the Greek word which means “shepherd.”  A good pastor seeks to shepherd or care for the people of God.  A good pastor does not “lord it over” their people  (1 Peter 5:1-4), but serves God’s people with a life of Christian service.  Ultimately, the goal of a pastor is to help God’s people to grow in the one who THE Good Shepherd, Jesus.  As Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)  The pastor is not the savior.  Jesus is the savior of the Sheep of God’s flock.  The pastor is a fellow sinner who needs Jesus himself, and whose job is to point others to the Savior and the Good Shepherd.

 

I was surprised to hear from this former member that she was most happy in a church when attending St. John.  But how about you?  As a member of the family of God, have you ever caused issues of conflict for your pastor? (I can write this question now that I am in retirement.)  Have you thanked your pastor for taking on the enormous responsibility which God gives him?   How in your church can members and pastor best work together to further the Gospel of Jesus?  These are good questions for Pastor Appreciation Month.

 

A Child of God, Praying for the Church of Jesus, for the Relationships between Pastors and People,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Last Sunday, October 11, St. John celebrated 85 years of God’s blessings at St. John, and through St. John.  Here is the video presentation prepared for this celebration.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WM37dc8bEkfB58NR8

 

P.P.S.  Instead of fishing I went hiking with a friend up Castle Mountain on Monday, October 12.  (I go fishing this week on Thursday, October 15)  Here are some pictures of the hike.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/ctS235JjiugymP8L8

 

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.

 

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment