Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Standing on THE ROCK - Our Lord - Through the Storms of Life

Dear Fellow Children of God,

The national elections seem to be concluded.   But, (wink, wink) to my surprise the coronavirus is still with us.  And, even though the campaigns are concluded, our nation still faces partisan bickering and fighting.  I had heard (I really did hear this in some places, but did not believe the assertion) that, when the results of the election came in, all these problems would be over.  Who would have imagined?  We still face the natural disaster caused by this pandemic.  Who would have imagined?  We still live in times of political turmoil!


I read an excellent devotion from Dr. Jerry Kieschnick about a month ago which meditated on the problems we face in America because we have been spoiled by political stability, by religious freedom, and by economic affluence.  Dr. Kieschnich quoted a young lady writer in the Twin Cities area who pointed out that our poverty line in America is far above the standard of living in most of the rest of the world.  Yet politicians have decried the fact that our present generation will never see a time of prosperity again.  We have come to expect the uncommon blessings we have, rather than being thankful for such grace.  It is hard to have a heart of thankfulness when having a lot is still not having enough.


To look at it from another perspective, the Christian Church in America has been blessed by freedom of worship which our Constitution enshrines.  Yet, such freedom has not always been the experience of God's people throughout history.  Even today, a large number of Christians worldwide face persecution for following Jesus.  Nevertheless, instead of being thankful for our religious freedom and political stability of the past decades, God's people can seem like children whining when we face trials, trials which have been the norm through much of history, but trials we ourselves have not had to face in recent history.


Political turmoil and the COVID-19 pandemic may cause tribulations today.  But, we are not spilling our blood in persecution.   The Christian Church may face opposition and questioning.  But we still do have freedom to speak our faith in Jesus.  God's people have great reason to be filled with thanks and to be active in witnessing to the grace and saving love of God in Jesus.


On October 25 I attended the installation of Pastor Andrew Carlson as Senior Pastor at Zion Lutheran Church in Fairbanks, AK.  We sang a song which I cherish, "Built on the Rock", written by Nicolai Gruntvig.  

Built on the Rock the Church shall stand, Even when steeples are falling;

Crumbled have spires in every land, Bells still are chiming and calling

Calling the young and old to rest, Calling the souls of those distressed,

Longing for life everlasting.

The church may live in difficult times.  But, when "spires crumble," God still calls His children to rest given in His gracious forgiveness and salvation.  Tribulation is the norm for Christ's Church throughout history, not the exception .  We should not be surprised when trials come.  But, we have this assurance. that life and faith are built on the firm foundation of THE Rock, our Lord.  God speaks through David in Psalm 18 to assure us, "2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,  my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." (Psalm 18:2-3)  God and His love are The Rock on which we build our lives in a changing and shifting world.


Jesus also teaches that lesson in The Sermon on the Mount, calling His followers to build their lives on the truth and the rock of God's Word.  24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock."  (Matthew 7:24-25)


I also recently attended the ordination of Pastor Albino Y Kong at Anchorage Lutheran Church on November 2.  Pastor Kong was born in The Sudan, and spent many years in the refugee camps of East Africa.  He will be serving the Sudanese population in Anchorage.  At Pastor Kong's ordination we sang another favorite hymn of mine, also appropriate for this time of turmoil, The Church's One Foundation.

Verse 1 The church’s one foundation Is Jesus Christ her Lord;

        She is his new creation By water and the Word.

        From heaven he came and sought her To be his holy bride; 

                        With his own blood he bought her, And for her life he died.


Verse 4 ‘Mid toil and tribulation, And tumult of her war,

         She waits the consummation Of peace forevermore;

         Till, with the vision glorious, Her longing eyes are blest,

        And the great church victorious Shall be the church at rest.

In this time of "toil and tribulation", as the hymn writer puts it, Jesus is the foundation on which we build.  God's love, our Lord's forgiveness and grace, our Savior's Salvation, are eternal and sure.  When the world shifts, God reminds us that He and His grace are the rock and the foundation on which we build our lives and work in His church.  As God inspired Paul to write in 1 Corinthians 3, "10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. 11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."   ( 1 Corinthians 3:10-11)


My wife and I face another "storm" as I write this devotion.  As we relax in Gainesville, FL, Tropical Storm / Hurricane Eta is forecast to pass right over us Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m.  (And I was hoping to go fishing on Thursday.  Darn!)  For the storms of life, however they may rear their ugly heads, we have The Firm Foundation.  God's Word is Sure.  God's Love in Jesus is everlasting.  We can face whatever trials life may bring and stand on The Rock of our Lord and His love.  God's people even see the blessings from our Lord in those trials.


A Child of God, Standing on The Rock - Our Lord - Through the Storms of Life

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  I'm having computer issues again.  I guess I shouldn't nod off with my computer in my lap and a glass of water in my hand.  :-)   So, I am sending this e-mail using my wife's computer.  You'll find this devotion on Facebook.  I do hope my data is saved when my computer returns.



*****


ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

        HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.



P.P.S.  Here is the full text of Psalm 18:1-6

Psalm 18 - 18 I love you, O Lord, my strength.

2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,

    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,

    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

3 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,

    and I am saved from my enemies.

4 The cords of death encompassed me;

    the torrents of destruction assailed me;[a]

5 the cords of Sheol entangled me;

    the snares of death confronted me.

6 In my distress I called upon the Lord;

    to my God I cried for help.

From his temple he heard my voice,

    and my cry to him reached his ears.


P.P.P.S.  Here are all the word of the hymn, "Built on the Rock."

Verse 1

Built on the Rock the Church shall stand, Even when steeples are falling;

Crumbled have spires in every land, Bells still are chiming and calling

Calling the young and old to rest, Calling the souls of those distressed,

Longing for life everlasting.


Verse 2 Not in our temples made with hands God, the Almighty, is dwelling;

High in the heav’ns His temple stands, All earthly temples excelling.

Yet He who dwells in heav’n above Deigns to abide with us in love,

Making our bodies His temple.


Verse 3 We are God’s house of living stones, Built for His own habitation;

He fills our hearts, His humble thrones, Granting us life and salvation.

Were two or three to seek His face, He in their midst would show His grace,

Blessings upon them bestowing.


Verse 4 Yet in this house, an earthly frame, Jesus His children is blessing;

Hither we come to praise His name, Faith in our Savior confessing.

Jesus to us His Spirit sent, Making with us His covenant,

Granting His children the kingdom.


Verse 5 Thro‘ all the passing years, O Lord, Grant that, when church bells are ringing,

Many may come to hear God’s Word Where He this promise is bringing:

I know My own, My own know Me: You, not the world, My face shall see;

My peace I leave with you. Amen.


P.P.P.S.  Here are all the words for the Hymn, "The Church's One Foundation.


verse 1 The church’s one foundation Is Jesus Christ her Lord;

She is his new creation By water and the Word.

From heaven he came and sought her To be his holy bride;

With his own blood he bought her, And for her life he died.


Verse 2 Elect from every nation, Yet one o’er all the earth;

Her charter of salvation, One Lord, one faith, one birth;

One holy name she blesses, Partakes one holy food,

And to one hope she presses, With every grace endued.


Verse 3 Though with a scornful wonder Men see her sore oppressed,

Though foes would rend asunder, The Rock where she doth rest,

Yet saints their faith are keeping; Their cry goes up, “How long?”

And soon the night of weeping Shall be the morn of song.


Verse 4 ‘Mid toil and tribulation, And tumult of her war,

She waits the consummation Of peace forevermore;

Till, with the vision glorious, Her longing eyes are blest,

And the great church victorious Shall be the church at rest.


Verse 5 Yet she on earth hath union   With God the Three in One,

And mystic sweet communion  With those whose rest is won:

O happy ones and holy!   Lord, give us grace that we,

Like them, the meek and lowly, In love may dwell with Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment