Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Trusting God and His Wisdom Over the Leaders of This World

 Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

In Lifelight Bible Class last Wednesday, January 6, a group of us were speaking about the political unrest in our country during the past year.  We had not even gotten home that evening to learn the extent of the troubling events of the day; the rioting, the destruction, and even the death of people in the nation’s Capitol.  In my minimal knowledge about what was happening, I shared with those with whom I was speaking that Hezekiah had been an exceptionally good ruler for Judah.  He was a man of God!  However, Hezekiah’s father Ahaz, had been a horrible, evil ruler, by God’s standards.  (See 2 Chronicles 28.) I shared that I am hoping and praying for a Hezekiah.

 

Then I received a phone call on Friday from friend, Pastor George Rakos.  George shared with me, “I’m praying for you, Jonathan, as you write your devotion for next week.”  George was assuming that I would write something about the recent unrest in our country.  But, the truth is, I try to stay away from sharing political opinions.  I do have very definite thoughts on the politics of the day, informed by my faith and by Scripture.  But, there is a danger in sharing those opinions.  If someone were to hear me, a pastor, stand up for a specific leader or politician, the person listening to me could assume that I think this leader is God’s person.  Unfortunately, all leaders and politicians are human. Like the rest of us, our politicians and are weak, and sinful, and make bad choices.  I have intentionally refrained from arguing for and defending individual leaders, even if they are following policies with which I agree.  You see, when these politicians fail, people can ask, “So, that’s how GOD wants a leader to act?”  The bad choices of our leaders are not what God intends.  Therefore, I have chosen to speak favorably more about policies which seem to accomplish God’s will, than about individual politicians.

 

We are in an unusual and troubling time in the history of our country.  How DOES a follower of Jesus respond to the events of the day?  Personally, I trust God’s wisdom in Scripture about the events of history and the leaders we have.  I am using a new devotional book and last Friday my devotions had me reading from Isaiah 40.  Right after the chaos in our nation’s capitol I read what God speaks through Isaiah.  (I suggest you read Isaiah 40:13-31.)  The words of verses 23-24 spoke to me about the politics of today. “23 He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing. 24 No sooner are they planted, no sooner are they sown, no sooner do they take root in the ground, than he blows on them and they wither, and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff.”  This prophecy in Isaiah 40, this word of God, spoke to my mind and heart in the wake of current events.  Kings and presidents and leaders will come and go.  God is the ultimate Lord of history.  Jesus is “the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  (Revelation 19:16)

 

Then the devotion for the next day included a meditation on The Lord’s Prayer.  In the Small Catechism Martin Luther teaches what is included in ‘Daily Bread.”  Daily bread includes everything that has to do with the support and needs of the body, such as food, drink, clothing, shoes, house, home, land, animals, money, goods, a devout husband or wife, devout children, devout workers, devout and faithful rulers, good government, good weather, peace, health, self-control, good reputation, good friends, faithful neighbors, and the like.”  Good government is a gift from God!  In the prayer for that day’s devotion we prayed, “The bird will trust Thee this day to give its morsel of meat, and the flower will trust Thee for raiment; so may we trust Thee this day for all the needs of the body, the soul, and the spirit.  Give us this day our daily bread.  Amen.”  Yes, Lord, send good leaders!

 

In the middle of today’s unrest, I trust my Lord for His care in the midst of our national chaos.  God has cared for me eternally.  The Father sent His Son.  Jesus, in the ultimate gift of love, suffered and died to pay the price for my sins, and for the sins of all.  Jesus overcame sin and death by rising after His death.  Jesus calls all people to receive His love and eternal life through faith in Him.  God has given me eternal life and He takes care of me in this world. 

 

Therefore, I will trust the Lord of all, the One who saved me, before I trust the leaders of this world.  And I trust the God of love to bring His blessings in the midst of the political chaos of our nation and our world.  I am also praying that God will bring a Samuel, or a David, or a Hezekiah for our country.

 

A Child of God, Trusting God and His Wisdom Over the Leaders of This World,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  I included Isaiah 40:13-31 below.

 

P.P.S.  I preached in Funny River on Sunday, January 10.  But, on January 9 I went fishing with friend, Wayne Mize, in the Swanson River Wilderness area.  We went to a place called “Dolly Varden Lake.”  You can guess that by the fish we caught.      https://photos.app.goo.gl/qSB3jefTNbpiQH7B9

 

P.P.P.S.  I went skiing on December 31 with my son Josh, and his oldest son, Jake.  I neglected to include these pictures in last week’s e-mail.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/rifzeJXBJV6bf8Nh8

 

 

*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I WAS only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

        HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.

Perhaps you ALSO know, or perhaps not, that I “killed” my computer on November 7.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it. 

          I have received my computer back, but lost data from April 2019 to the present.  I have tried to rebuild my distribution list, but am not sure how accurate I have been.  But this may be inaccurate.

          So, If you had stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  If you are receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly take your name off my distribution list.

          When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued.  My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 



Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


Isaiah 40:13-31

13 Who has understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his counselor? 14 Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding? 15 Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded as dust on the scales; he weighs the islands as though they were fine dust. 16 Lebanon is not sufficient for altar fires, nor its animals enough for burnt offerings. 17 Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing. 18 To whom, then, will you compare God? What image will you compare him to? 19 As for an idol, a craftsman casts it, and a goldsmith overlays it with gold and fashions silver chains for it. 20 A man too poor to present such an offering selects wood that will not rot. He looks for a skilled craftsman to set up an idol that will not topple. 21 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? 22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. 23 He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing. 24 No sooner are they planted, no sooner are they sown, no sooner do they take root in the ground, than he blows on them and they wither, and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff.

25 "To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One. 26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. 27 Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God"? 28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment