Wednesday, February 10, 2021

What Distracts You from the Real Treasure of Life - Jesus?

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Wednesday, February 10, as I left the Palmer Post Office, I walked to my vehicle and went to get in and drive back to St. John.  My view was somewhat blocked, but I knew where my car was parked, so I walked to the maroon SUV.  However, . . . that SUV wasn’t my vehicle!  My vehicle was next to the SUV I approached.  Both vehicles were maroon.  Both had a similar shape and size.  My vehicle is a Dodge, and the other SUV was a General Motors car.  But, if I hadn’t looked up and noticed where I was going, I might have tried to get into the wrong car.

 

And guess what?  This is not the first time I have approached a vehicle which wasn’t mine.  Last summer I tried to open the door of another SUV parked near me, which again looked surprisingly similar.  When a dog in that car started barking, it got my attention.  Realizing I did not have my dog with me I took a closer look.  Nope, this wasn’t my vehicle.  In fact, after this incident I started looking around and realized how many vehicles look alike.  It is easy, especially for someone not that knowledgeable about different cars, to go choose a vehicle which is not the one I own, or the one I want.

 

We talked in two Bible Classes this past week at St. John about the issue of choosing the wrong treasure.  We discussed being distracted or fooled by treasure, which isn’t the real prize.  In our Tuesday evening Promise Keepers’ Men’s Bible study we read Joshua 1:6-9 and asked ourselves, “What brings real success or make us truly prosperous?  What is the right “way” to live?  What are the real treasures of life?”

 

Then on Wednesday our Lifelight Class on the book of Genesis asked the following question. “Christians are . . . challenged to leave their excess baggage behind in exchange for something better.  How does this challenge apply to you?”  As we considered the answer to this inquiry, we then read Jesus’ explanation to the parable of the sower, or the planter.  Concerning seed which fell among the weeds, Jesus taught, 18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.  (Mark 4:18-19) Earthly possessions are deceitful.  The things of this world can seem like treasure.  But, do the seeming treasures of this life choke the treasure of God’s word and of His love from our lives?

 

The love God gives us in His Son, the grace and forgiveness we receive through Jesus in this life, the sure promise of eternal life in heaven, are so precious we do not want to miss these gifts.  Consider 2 Corinthians 8:9.  For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.  We have the riches of heaven because of Jesus.  The real treasure of life is Jesus!  But, is there something in your life which seems important, which might really be important, but distracts you from what is most important?  Is there any pleasure, any life goal, any person, which causes you to forget God’s love, or even turn away from Him, even for a little while?

 

Hebrews 12:1-3 gives good advice about throwing off “sin that entangles.”  1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”   Jesus endured the cross to save us.  Jesus gives the real treasures of life.  It is vital not to be distracted by other treasures that can seem important, which might really be treasure on earth, so that we miss the real prize – the love of God in Jesus.  To think that God Himself went through this for me grabs my attention and points me to what is most important of all.  When I consider the price God paid and the gifts He offers, that “fixes my eyes on Jesus.”  Those are the treasures I want!

 

Other maroon vehicles look like mine.  At times I have tried to go to someone else’s SUV.  But, the car I want is the one I chose, the one I paid for, the one I legally own.  I don’t want someone else’s vehicle, I want mine.  What I want for my life is the love, the grace, the salvation God gives me in Jesus.  I don’t want some other seemingly important thing to draw me away from my Savior.  What distracts you from the real treasure of Life – Jesus?

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Not Be Distracted from Jesus By Other Treasures in Life,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  Here is a picture of 2 vehicles next to one another in the parking lot of the post office on Wednesday, February 10.  Mine is the Dodge on the right.  But, when I came out of the post office I went toward the GM vehicle on the left. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E4zfwM8rePYeKstMA

 

P.P.S.  The St. John Promise Keepers are sponsoring the Shane Woods Memorial Ice Fishing Outing on Saturday, February 20.  WE WILL MEET AT NOON AT SEVENTEEN MILE LAKE, north of town off the Glenn Highway.  This outing is for families of all ages and sizes!  

Here is an ADFG map with directions.  Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Also, we are looking for people who would like to help make this a great outing for the kids at St. John.  If you can help, or if you have a snow machine with which you could give rides to children, please contact Eric Wyatt or Pastor Rockey.

 

P.P.P.S.  I went fishing quite a bit this week.

·       On Thursday, February 4, I went to a favorite lake.  I caught no fish ( I did get one to the surface.) but helped some other guys drill a hole, and got my auger full of water.  Here are pictures of the setting.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGRnwJwbA16L4HJW9

 

·       On Friday, February 5, I took Pastor Craig Schultz fishing.  We caught 2 limits of rainbow trout.  But, it was windy and cold and I frostbit my index finger putting frozen bait on the hook.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/TAEtmi3WQdsroSUo8

 

·       On Saturday, February 6, I went with Rod and Adam Christiansen to check out a lake for our Shane Woods Ice Fishing Outing.  We fished at Seventeen Mile Lake.  Here are pictures from that outing.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/mYXvJU5a2KPSyEny5

 

·       On Monday, February 8, Kym Miller texted and wanted to go fishing.  Another adventure.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/BMPpPJb6Wy4KDWKV7

 

P.P.P.P.S.  I urge all of you who receive this e-mail to make sure you get a Red Letter Challenge devotional book from St. John to use during the Lenten season with other Christians throughout this penitential season (time of repentance).  You can pick up a book when you attend worship.  Or, you can stop by St. John to get a book.  Or you can even ask to have a book delivered.  The books cost St. John $10.00 each, but the church is trying to get everyone to participate, so only asking $5.00 for each book.  You can donate, or not donate, for your book as you decide is right.  The idea is that everyone is in God’s Word together.

 

 

 

 

*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 



Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

No comments:

Post a Comment