Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Trying Not to be Anxious, or Frustrated, or "Freaked Out," but AT PEACE in Jesus!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Kathy and I have grandkids visiting us in Florida for 3 weeks.  Then we all return home.  We recently had a conversation with our granddaughter, Emma.  She talked about something she didn’t like, saying that she would “freak out.”  Kathy and I, with the patience coming from Kathy, discussed the problems of “freaking out,” or having a “panic attack,” for every little frustration in life.  I suggested that “freaking out” may be immature.  Instead, I shared, it is mature behavior to instead face the issues that arise in life.  Relying on others to rescue us all the time would make life difficult, or unpleasant, as an adult.  But, we have all over-reacted at times.  It’s good not to make this our life’s pattern.

 

I had an interesting day on Tuesday that some might consider a day of frustration.  Our plan for the grandchildren all along had been for me to take them fishing on Tuesday.  I’d like them to actually catch some fish.  However, with Jake and Emma going to school through virtual learning on their computers, there are some challenges.  It seems they had gotten behind in their school work.  So, Kathy suggested they stay home on Tuesday and do school work, and that I should go fishing.  When your wife tells you to go fishing, who can argue? (grin)

 

For the fishing trip I had looked at “bite times and tide charts and had decided to take Jake and Emma to a local river.  When I got there, by myself, I was surprised by how strong the current was on Tuesday.  High tide was supposed to be at 10:00 a.m., but there was foam on the river from the outflow of water.  I decided to go upstream and to fish floating downstream, but when fish bit my line, I didn’t have time to let them take the bait. I was floating too fast with the river.  I finally caught a fish on a new pole I had, but, when I took the fish off, I noticed my nice new pole was broken.  Anyway, I kept fishing. But moving upstream much of the day was taking a toll on my battery.  By the end of the day my trolling battery was about dead.  Actually, the battery charger that night said “1%!”  I docked the boat, backed the boat trailer into the water, and took the boat out.  But, when I prepared the boat to go home, and cleaned it up, I left the radio on in the car so I could listen to music, and I left my phone plugged in to charge the battery.  So then, when I jumped into my vehicle to drive home, the car battery was dead, and no one else was in the parking lot.  I called my sister and brother in law for help.  However, while they were on the way another person drove up and jumped my battery and the car started.  Alarmingly, now my gas gage read “EMPTY!”  Yes, I had check the gas before I left.  So, I didn’t want to turn off my car now, in order to save gas, because I might not be able to start it again.  Thankfully, after a few minutes my gas gage said I said I had a third of a tank of gas, plenty to get home.  I made it home safely.  The only damage for all this frustration was a broken pole.  And, I did catch 4 fish!

 

When I shared with my sister and brother in law about the day they responded, “You should have stayed home.” When I did get home, my neighbor noticed that I had been fishing and commented.  I told her about the day and her response was “That sounds frustrating!”  My response to her, and to my sister and brother in law was, “It’s an adventure.”  The trip truly was an adventure.  However, Kathy will tell you I’m not always that calm, or patient, in times of frustration.  There are times I can act impatiently, or even in anger.  Maybe that is how I freak out.

 

Christians can actually face all of life, even the issues that cause frustration, or anger, or “freaking out,” with a calm spirit of peace.  God inspired St. Paul to write this word of encouragement to the believers in Philippi, “6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)  Paul tells us we don’t have to be anxious, or worried, or frustrated, or angry, or “freaked out.”  We can pray to the Lord who loves us.  We can go to our heavenly Father who saved us through Jesus’ life and death and resurrection.  We can petition God, and He promises to answer.  We don’t have to be anxious, or worried, or frustrated, or angry, or “freaked out.”  Knowing God’s presence, and love, and that after this life we have eternal life with Him in heaven, even in the midst of life’s frustrations, we can instead give thanks for the blessings we do have.

 

You might say that you expect Paul to say that.  But, he was in prison when he wrote this letter.  In fact, right before Paul wrote these words about not being anxious, he called the Philippians to joy.  “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”  (Philippians 4:4)  From prison, Paul joyfully calls others to rejoice.  Their joy is not found in their circumstances.  Being “in the Lord,” and knowing the sure love of God brings joy in the frustrations, and in the persecutions, and even in the tragedies of life. 

 

When a Christian becomes anxious, or “freaks out,” they are acting like they do not have a choice about how to react to life’s challenges.  But, we do have a choice in how to respond to life’s trials and challenges and adventures.  When we know God loves us and saves us in Jesus we can rejoice. We need not be anxious.  We can rejoice in the peace of God.

 

Is there some frustration, or challenge, or tragedy you are facing that feels larger than you are?  Are you ready, like my granddaughter, to freak out?  Remember Paul’s words.  6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Our challenge may be bigger than we are.  It is not bigger than God’s saving love for us in Jesus.

 

A Child of God, Trying not to be Anxious, or Frustrated, or “Freaked Out,” but at Peace in Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  Here are some pictures of time with our grandkids in FL this past week and a half. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCuN3C395ApAP6hC9

 

P.P.S.  Of course I went fishing.  The kids did not want to get up early, and had homework, so I had two trips on my own.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/KxeLAfEf9ideGhdm9

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

No comments:

Post a Comment