Wednesday, July 14, 2021

What I want My Loved Ones to Know

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

Do you ever lose sleep?  I confess that sometimes I have trouble sleeping.  Sometimes I lose sleep because I drank too much coffee.  But, sometimes I am concerned, or I’m worried.  I have worried about the churches where I have served, and have been concerned for the members.  I have lost sleep at times over the direction of our country and our world.  But, most often I have had trouble sleeping over concerns for family; for my parents, my siblings, my children, my grandchildren.  When I have trouble sleeping at night, I lay in bed and pray.  But, sometimes even after prayer I still can’t sleep, so I get up and find something to do.

 

Last week, in my devotion, I wrote encouraging others to be a godly influence for children.  I suggested that one way you might act as a godly influence is to take a child fishing.  However, my wife might suggest you could also spend time cooking with a child, or take them to a movie, or sew with a child, or read to a child. These are Kathy’s choices.  Spending time with someone shows love.  And, actions are more important than words.  But, it is also important to share important truths, with actions and with words.  Therefore, below I am sharing what is important to me, truths which I want my loved ones to know.

 

First, “Jesus is Lord.”  These are the God-inspired words of St. Paul in Philippians 2.  Paul says that, at the end, every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father”. (Philippians 2:11)  Jesus, with the Father and with the Spirit is God.  Jesus is the Creator of all, the Ruler of all.  I want my loved ones to know that “Jesus is Lord.”

 

Second, even being Lord, Jesus is our Savior from sin.  “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”  (John 3:17)  Jesus is not only the ruler of the universe.  Jesus’ ultimate identity is grace and love.  The Son of God, God Himself, The Lord of all, in love gave His life on the cross to pay for our sin.  We can trust the Lord of all as our Savior from sin.  I believe, and I want my loved ones to believe that Jesus is our Savior.

 

Third, because Jesus is Lord, and because He is our Savior, His words are true, and worth believing and following.  We find these words of Jesus in Scripture.  Paul was spiritual father to Timothy.  Here is what Paul wrote to His spiritual son.  14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”  (2 Timothy 3:14-17)  God’s word is worth not just knowing, but believing. God’s word is worth following and doing.  Jesus said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." (Luke 11:28)

 

Fourth, my relationship with Jesus is my most important relationship of all.  When I conduct pre-marital preparation with a couple who is preparing for their wedding, we look at Genesis 2 and I discuss how the relationship of husband and wife is the most important human relationship.  But, our relationship with God, through Jesus, is most important.  Our faith, and the following of the Lord and Savior of all is most important.  Faith in Jesus is what makes my life most healthy, and fulfilling. 

 

Finally, knowing who Jesus is, we nevertheless all fail in our faith and our life.  Jesus is the holy Lord of all.  We are His sheep and lambs. We are weak and sinful.  I am not a perfect child of God, but I am loved and forgiven.  The same is true for those I love.  Because of our weakness, we need one another as fellow children of God.  Therefore, God gives His church.  The church is God’s family to grow and to support our faith and our relationship with Jesus.  Therefore, regular Sunday worship and participation in a church is important for my life.  Remember, Christian congregations are made up of sinners who need and who follow their Savior.  So, being part of a Christian congregation is frustrating. But, being an active part of a Christian congregation is part of God’s plan for us.  We need Jesus’ church to be the people Jesus made us to be.

 

I have two similar fishing pictures.  One picture shows my daughter, Mary, holding a red salmon at age 6 on Kalgin Island in Cook Inlet.  With a big toothless grin Mary is holding up the bloody fish.  The other picture shows my granddaughter, Annie, holding a trout at age 8 on Finger Lake.  She too has a smile from one side of her face to the other.  I love my family, my children and my grandchildren, and I want what is best for them.  I hope they remember our time together.  I will. I love my family, and I want Jesus for them. 

 

A Child of God, Praying That My Loved Ones Know Jesus,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are pictures of Mary and of Annie.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/4V1v5otdq6zJNM4a7

 

P.P.S.  I was on the Kenai Peninsula this week to conduct worship at Funny River Community Lutheran Church, and to help with a one day Vacation Bible School.  My only fishing this past week was dip-netting on the Kasilof River.  But, thanks to friend Wayne Mize, the trip was very successful.  We brought home 23 red salmon in 2 – 2 ½ hours of dipping.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/e5SbAwskU7ysfyxP6

 

P.P.P.S.  – The flowers in our front yard are especially beautiful right now.  Here are a few of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3pXxegSX75BW9SM7

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment