Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Desiring to Break My Alabaster Jar, To Serve Jesus With My Life

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

I not only write devotions, but I read devotions written by other Christian writers, sometimes quite a few in a single day.  One devotion, which struck me recently, I read from my current morning devotion book, “For All the Saints.”  One of the Scripture readings for that day was from Mark 14:1-11, which relates the account of the lady who anointed Jesus’ feet with a very costly jar of ointment, or perfume.  Chinese Evangelist, John Sung, pointed out what Jesus said about the woman in verse 9, I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."  Sung wrote, “The fragrance of what this woman did has persisted all down the years until the present.  Of all the events that have occurred throughout the world, all through the centuries, the vast majority are not worth remembering.  Yet whenever the gospel is preached we shall remember this woman.”

 

Sung continues his devotion, “Jesus gave His life for us.  In what way, apart from hearing, can we bring Him comfort? . . . if we are to be remembered in a way that endures there is only one way to do it.  We must for the Lord’s sake break the alabaster jar. And we must offer ourselves entirely to God. . . The time will come, and perhaps soon, when you must pass on.  What will you do now for the Lord?  The Lord broke the alabaster jar – in other words He shed His blood and died for our redemption.  He did all that for us.  What, then, shall we do for Him?”(“For All the Saints,” Volume II, pages 793-795.)

 

I’m not sure what specifically about this devotion struck me, but I do know that I haven’t heard this account of the woman explained in this way before.  Yet, the bottom line is that Jesus gave His life for us.  He willingly suffered injustice and died the cruel death of a convicted criminal on the cross to pay for our sins.  How WILL we serve Him?  My service of Jesus is a response to His sacrifice for me.

 

The concluding prayer in this devotion also really touched me.  The prayer was written by Ignatius Loyola, a Roman Catholic priest from the 1500’s who is famous for his mission fervor, and famous for his role in The Counter-Reformation.  Loyola’s prayer also especially spoke to my mind and to my soul.

 

“Teach us, good Lord, to serve Thee as Thou deservest, to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds, to toil and not to ask for rest; to labour and not to ask for any reward, save that of knowing that we do Thy will.  Through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

 

I want to live like St. Ignatius prayed, to serve the Lord with all my life.  Or, as Pastor Sung wrote, because Jesus broke the alabaster jar for me, I want to be willing to break my jar for Him.

 

How about you?  Do you want to live your life for Jesus? As John Sung wrote, The Lord broke the alabaster jar – in other words He shed His blood and died for our redemption.  He did all that for us.  What, then, shall we do for Him?”

 

A Child of God, Desiring to Break My Alabaster Jar, to Serve Jesus With My Whole Life,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.      St. John News:

·       SUNDAY SCHOOL STARTED LAST SUNDAY

o   Sunday School Classes began last Sunday at 9:45 for children of all ages, from birth through adulthood.

 

o   ADULT CLASSES –

§  We want to see Jesus” – Taught by Pastor Schultz in the Fellowship Hall is looking at the book of Mark.

 

§  Basic Teachings of Scripture - Adult Membership Class” – Taught by Pastor Jonathan Rockey in the library.

 

P.P.S. Here are some personal pictures from the past week.

·       My sister, Martha Reaves, and her husband, Mark, were in town for 2 weeks.  Here are a few pictures of their last two days with us.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tys2jCCoQNoQYTb97

·       In spite of much rain and higher rivers, I did go fishing with former St. John member and friend, Ron Hawkins, on Friday, September 10.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/MgxPTaHGjUHwrxKWA

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment