Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Thankful that Our Lord Walks With Us Through the Trials of Life

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On December 8, my personal devotions included readings from Amos 8, Revelation 2, and Matthew 23, verses which talked about struggles which God’s people face.  Some of life’s trials occur because we live in a sinful world.  But, these Scripture lessons also pointed out that some of the struggles God’s people face we bring on ourselves through selfish, rebellious, or sinful behavior.  Also included in the devotion was a reading from Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s “Letters from Prison” which struck me.  I, therefore, saved this thought to share with you.  I had no idea how these thoughts might also apply to me and my family in quick order.  In his writing Bonhoeffer wrote, “We have to learn that personal suffering is a more effective key, a more rewarding principle for exploring the world in thought and action than personal good fortune.”  (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison; For All the Saints, Volume III, pages 41-42)  Please remember, Bonhoeffer wrote these words while in the Dachau concentration camp where he died under Adolf Hitler.

 

Pastors have the call and the opportunity to stand beside the children of God as they go through the trials of life.  We seek to be present with the Lord’s love when people are hurting and suffering, and as they are asking “Why?” Often pastors do not have answers about “Why?”.  All we know is that our heavenly Father has loved us in Jesus and that He is with us.  Pastors try to share comfort and strengthen the people of God through these painful times, especially remembering the forgiveness and salvation God won for us in the dying and rising of Jesus.  Sometimes our efforts seem feeble, but we trust God’s eternal wisdom and love.  I know I seek to trust Him.

 

The truth is that pastors and church workers also experience the trials of life.  We also ask, “Why?”  We seek faith to trust God’s wisdom and power and love when life seems crazy.  Pastors are not above the fray of life, but are fellow sinners, also needing God’s saving love in Jesus, along with other children of God,

 

The following Scripture verses which St. Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome remind me of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s words.  3 . . .  we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”  (Romans 5:3-5)  So, suffering teaches us lessons.  Life’s tribulations help us to grow.  Primarily we are taught that our real treasure and our real goal is God’s love, which we find perfected in heaven.  But, do you, do I, really rejoice when we face trial and pain?  I want to grow, but I’m not sure I want the tribulation it takes to grow, no matter what Bonhoeffer wrote.

 

I’m convinced that nobody enjoys the difficult times in life when we are in the midst of those trials.  But often we do look back on what took place and realize that, in those tribulations, we had to lean on our Lord’s love and deliverance.  And, even though we might have been in distress in the midst of these difficulties, looking back we can see the hand of God, and we have grown.

 

St. Paul also wrote to the Christians in Corinth, “8 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9 Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us.”  (2 Corinthians 1:8-10)  Paul and his companions were under great distress, even fearing death.  The lesson they learned was not to rely on themselves, or their strength or wisdom, but to “rely . . . on God.”  And the Lord did deliver them!

 

Many of the members of St. John helped our family through a recent difficulty.  THANK YOU to all who helped us.  But, now that we have made it through this trial, with many questions and much prayer, I can personally share that I have seen the hand of the Lord.  He has produced perseverance and hope in my life, and I pray I have also grown in Christian character.  I have seen God’ answer to prayer, again.

 

To a certain extent I already knew the lesson of which Bonhoeffer wrote, “We have to learn that personal suffering is a more effective key, a more rewarding principle for exploring the world in thought and action than personal good fortune.”  I really did not want to re-learn the lesson.  But, along with St. Paul I have found out that my Lord who has saved me for eternal life love through His Son, is also with me through the trials of life in this world.  And, to a certain extent I feel I can shout praise with King David, The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?”  (Psalm 27:1)

 

A Child of God, Thankful that Our Lord Walks With Us Through the Trials of Life,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I did go ice fishing twice this past week.

·       On Thursday, January 20 I went fishing with Pastor Schultz.  We caught 2 limits of fish.  J  Here are pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/vhbw9uZb3Fsh3w4o7

 

·       On Monday, January 24, I went fishing by myself.  I got away from the clouds in Palmer to a lake with no wind and LOTS of fish!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/EE3mMBRDnhvhwr9S6

 

P.P.S.  Last week I mentioned I would send pictures of home repairs from the wind storm.  Then, I neglected to include the link and then send the pictures.  I’m Sorry for this oversight!  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/NY8nkRQhsUJd5cJt7

 

 

P.P.P.S.  Having put the call process for a new permanent full-time pastor on hold because of COVID in March of 2020, St. John re-started the call process with a meeting of The Call Committee last Saturday, January 22.  Dave Nufer is Call Committee Chairman.  Feel free to share your thoughts with Dave or ask him any questions you have.

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

No comments:

Post a Comment