Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Thankful That The Master's Touch Has Changed and Blessed My Life!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On Saturday, March 19, my devotional readings included the poem, “The Master’s Touch.” I have read this poem before, and it had meaning for me.  And, as I considered the words this time, this poem touched my heart and soul again.

 

            ‘Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer

            Thought it scarcely worth his while

            To waste much time on the old violin,

            But he held it up with a smile.

            “What am I bidden, good folks” he cried.

            “Who’ll start the bidding for me?”

            “A dollar, a dollar, now two, only two,

            Two dollars, and who’ll make it three?

 

            “Three dollars once, three dollars twice

            Going for three.” But no –

            From the room far back, a gray haired man

            Came forward and picked up the bow.

            Then wiping the dust from the old violin

            And tightening up all the strings

            He played a melody pure and sweet,

            As sweet as the angel sings.

 

            The music ceased and the auctioneer

            With a voice that was quiet and low

            Said, “What am I bid for this old violin?”

            And he held it up with the bow.

            “A thousand dollars, and who’ll make it two?

            Two thousand and who’ll make it three?

            Three thousand once, three thousand twice

            And going, and gone,” said he.

 

            The people cheered, but some of them cried,

            “We do not quite understand –

            What changed its worth?” Swift came the reply,

            “The touch of the master’s hand.”

And many a man with life out of tune,

And battered and torn with sin

Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd,

Much like the old violin.

 

A mess of pottage, a life of shame,

A game and he travels on.

He’s going once, and going twice,

He’s going and almost gone.

But the Master comes and the foolish crowd

Never can quite understand

The worth of a soul and the change that’s wrought

By the touch of the Master’s hand.”

“The Touch of the Master’s Hand”, Anonymous, “For All the Saints” Volume III, pages 893-4.

 

This poem is not just some sentimental verse.  The poem illustrates the truth of God’s life-changing love for us in Jesus.  St. Paul teaches in 2 Corinthians 5:17-19.  17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!  18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.”

 

There are at least two important applications to the truth of God’s life changing love in these words of God from Paul.  First, do you look down on someone because they are torn and tattered by the sin of this world, the sin in their life? Remember, this person too is a child of God, created in wisdom, power, and love. God hates the sin, but He still loves and He longs for His child.  Imagine what the touch of The Master might do!

 

Second, do you personally feel lost in the grime and destruction of the sin and shame in your own life?  You are not hopeless.  Neither is your life hopeless.  The love of God in Jesus is true for you.  17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!  18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ. . .” Pray for and expect the gracious, forgiving, touch of your Lord and Master!

 

Jesus performed many miracles in His time on earth.  I am convinced that, greater than calming the storm, greater than the feeding of the 5000, is when Jesus melts a hard heart with His undeserved forgiveness and love and changes a life.  May you know the gracious, forgiving, loving, touch of The Master’s hand in the dark corners of your life.  May you share that touch in the lives of others.

 

A Child of God, Thankful that The Master’s Touch Has Changed and Blessed My Life!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  On Sunday, March 27, I will be preaching at First Lutheran while Pastor John Glover is visiting colleges with his daughter, Naomi.  This just happens to be the 55th anniversary of the day I and 6 others were confirmed at First Lutheran.  Here are some pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbQhq7G86zsZuDsA7

 

P.P.S.  A favorite Gospel hymn of mine is “He Touched Me,” by Bill Gaither.  Here is a video of the song by Gaither.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m--ptwd_iI  Here is another version by Joey+Rory Feek.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9DXlfsSGGc

 

P.P.P.S.  Last Saturday, March 19, I visited with some childhood friends I have not seen in perhaps 40 years.  I grew up in Gainesville, FL, near the Craig Family.  James was my age, David a year younger.  Robert (not present) was two years older.  As we reminisced our wives and the Craig’s mother, Ginni, remarked, “It’s amazing you guys are still alive.”  Here are some pictures of our time together.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/jCN4VCHTBQvW5yBM6

 

P.P.P.P.S.  Yes, I went fishing again this past week.  In fact, I fished 7 days out of 8.  The day I didn’t fish, I golfed.  Retirement Life is good!  J

·       On Thursday, March 17, I went fishing with Mark Hoyer, who attends First Lutheran Church in Gainesville where I grew up and where Kathy and I attend.  We fished for Crappie, or ‘specs.’  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXVgquJx7ERBMf778

·       On Friday, March 18, Kathy and I went to Crescent Beach.  I caught this fish (a pompano?) https://photos.app.goo.gl/MqWEzuTX62UN1aw89

·       On Saturday evening, March 19, I went fishing at Rodman Reservoir.  I caught these 2 bass.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8ncEXUS45kBP1r18

·       On Sunday afternoon, March 20, after worship, Brother in law, Mark Reaves, and son, Shawn, joined me in fishing on the Wacassassa River.  We did not keep any fish, but did catch one mudfish.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9VLs3P3ikASbam1d9

 

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment