Wednesday, August 3, 2022

WHERE is God in My Life??

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you ever wonder “Where is God in my life?”  Perhaps the storms of life are such that you are totally overwhelmed. But, you don’t see the hand nor the help of God, the Lord whom you trust.  Perhaps life rolls on and on with nothing exciting happening, nor anything to give you joy, or hope.  Yet, perhaps you have also been a Christian, a “person of Christ,” a believer, your whole life.  “Why don’t I see God?  Why don’t I feel His presence.  Where IS the Lord in the ebb and flow of my daily life?”

 

Few know that this past Tuesday, August 2, was an anniversary in my life.  Few if any who were present at the time are alive today.  All present on that day have since passed on.  But, having been born on May 10, 1953, I was baptized at Trinity Lutheran Church in Easthampton, Massachusetts, on August 2, 1953.  I don’t remember the event, but I do have pictures.  My mom and dad were present, obviously.  My dad’s brother, whom I knew as Uncle Sonny, was my god-father.  My mom’s aunt, my Aunt Geri, served faithfully as long as she lived as my god-mother.  Those are the outward signs of my baptism.

 

But, for those who wonder where God is in their lives, our Lord makes promises of His on-going, saving presence and work in our lives through our baptisms.  In Acts 2:38-39, Peter was moved by the Holy Spirit on Pentecost Day to proclaim, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-- for all whom the Lord our God will call." In other words, when people are baptized, God forgives.  In baptism, our Lord gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Through our baptisms, our Creator and Savior calls us to Himself.  We are NOT alone!  The Lord of the Universe is with us to strengthen us and to save us.  (See also Colossians 2:10-14)

 

In Romans 6:3-4, we are told that when we are baptized we are joined to Jesus’ saving work for us in His death and His resurrection. “3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”  We are not alone through our days in this life.  Our Good Shepherd has brought us into His forgiving and saving death through baptism.  He has raised us from death in His resurrection victory, through baptism.  Christ IS with us!  (See also 1 Peter 3:20-21)  No wonder in his Small Catechism Dr. Martin Luther encourages Christians to rise in the morning, and to go to bed in the evening, “making the sign of the cross,” remembering one’s baptism.

 

Yes, Scripture is full of the promises of God for our lives.  The Word of God should give us all of the hope and the strength which we need for the trials of life in this sinful world.  But, sometimes we sinful and doubting people need more than just words.  We need to be able to see, and to touch, and to hear what God is doing.  So, knowing our weakness, God has given us special signs, or mysteries (sacraments), such as our baptism.  God works powerfully to forgive and to save and to strengthen us in this gift of grace and love.

 

Do you know when you were baptized?  Do you have any pictures, or a certificate?  Take strength to know that, on the day of your baptism, our Lord reached out and called you to His saving love.  He continues to be with you today, because you are baptized, through all the trials which you face.

 

A Child of God, Thankful For God’s Gifts of Love, of Forgiveness, and Salvation in My Baptism!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are some pictures from my baptism.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/SQ89Z2okjXoMoyBa8

 

P.P.S.  Family time – Josh and Erin and family, and Mary, traveled with us to the Kenai Peninsula.  We spent time with them on Saturday, July 30, at Captain Cook State Park.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/bPqskw6qXRev1nqRA

 

P.P.P.S.  Yes, I did a little fishing.

·       I went fishing on the Kenai River on Wednesday evening, July 27.  Here is a picture.  It was a nice evening, but I caught no fish.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5UpHdjCB3UjbSmW6

 

·       On Thursday, after a day of errands, I went fishing on the Kenai again.  I caught this red salmon.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ef8gwZoTdexH3NoQ7

 

·       I went fishing with Josh and Jake and Henry on the Kenai River.  In this picture, Josh is fishing in the background.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/asHiJV2m7XcKbQjY9

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment