Wednesday, October 19, 2022

How Do You Deal with the 'Changes and Chances' of Life?

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Tuesday, October 18, I went fishing on Rodman Reservoir in Florida.  The boat ramp at this location includes about a quarter of a mile run of water, through the lily pads, from the boat ramp to the main reservoir. This run is protected by trees on both sides.  As I launched my boat on Tuesday morning to fish in this favorite spot there was little wind, until I reached the main reservoir.  But, in the area not protected by trees, the wind was blowing and gusting.  Radio weather reported that the gusts were 15-20 miles an hour. While fishing in the protected area of the boat launch, the waters were calm and my casts went where I aimed.  But, when I entered the main body of water, I planned my fishing route so that the wind was at my back.  I also needed to make allowance in my casts for the wind to affect the direction my line traveled.  However, when I finished fishing on the main body of water, and returned to fish in the run by the boat launch, the wind was again a non-factor, and my casts landed where I aimed.

 

Sometimes certain events stand out in my life, or our lives, and demand attention.  Our attention can be primarily focused on happy events like a wedding, or a new birth, or a new job.  On the other hand, our lives can be dominated by bad news like a scary medical diagnosis, or a national disaster, or a death of a family member or a friend.  In such circumstances we are focused on these major events.

 

But, then there are times that we go from day to day experiencing the blessings and the tragedies, the love and the conflicts, of every day life.  Nothing big dominates our lives, nor directs our thinking.  We deal with life as it comes.  It can go, as my fishing trip did, from balmy, to stormy, to balmy again.  We’re never quite sure what may come along.

 

In truth, life in this world is a mystery.  Life itself is a gift from our Heavenly Father, who created us in wisdom and love, and Who promises His presence and His help.  What a wonderful reason for thanks and praise!  But, we also daily face challenges, tragedies, and trials, which are the result of sin and rebellion against our Creator and Lord.  It can seem that there is a schizophrenic nature to dealing with blessings and trials of our lives.  So, how do we face the uncertainties of life?

 

In spite of the lack of a shared morality in the world around us, there is a right way for God’s people to live.  You can find various verses of guidance from God for our lives in a number of places throughout the Word of God.  (For example, on your own read Micah 6:8, Mark 12:28-31, or Romans 12:9-21, and other places.) One of my favorite set of directions from God, calling His children to a holy life, is found at the end of 1 Thessalonians, in chapter 5, verses 14-24.  Listen to these words of wise guidance from our Lord.  “14 And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. 16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not put out the Spirit's fire; 20 do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21 Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22 Avoid every kind of evil. 23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

 

How do you face your life on a daily basis, especially knowing the unpredictable nature of what can come?  Following the basic tenets of these Bible verses, I will share with you my personal practice.  First, I seek to begin my day with the reading of Scripture. (See verses 19-21)  I need God’s assurance and His guidance. Secondly, I bring my coming day, my concerns, my joys, and my heartaches, to my Lord in prayer.  (See verses 17-18.) I trust Him to listen to me and to answer in love and wisdom.  Next, I seek to live my day with others in our world in wisdom and love as a child of God.  (See verses 14-16).  But, finally, I live in faith. I live trusting God to give His guidance, to answer my prayers, and to give me strength me for life as His child.  I trust My Lord to forgive me, and ultimately to save me for the sake of Jesus.  (See verses 22-24.) “The one who calls you in faithful, and he will do it!”

 

My practice is not earth shattering wisdom.  But, God Himself provides a framework for living steady lives which face the changes and chances of the world.  Knowing God’s guidance, and trusting His love can give us direction and peace as we live.  With this in mind, I appreciate the prayer found at the end of the evening worship service, The Order of Compline.  Be present, merciful God, and protect us through the hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of life may find our rest in You; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.”  I trust God, not just through the hours of the night, but through all of life.

 

How do you face the uncertainties, the changes and chances of life?  I begin with God in Scripture and prayer, seek to live for Him, and trust His presence of power and love.  Perhaps this practice can be a help in your life as a child of God.

 

A Child of God, Trusting God’s Love and Power Through the Changes and Chances of Life,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  On Sunday, October 16, St. John met to pray and seek God’s guidance in calling a new full-time settled pastor for the congregation.  St. John extended a call to Pastor Matt Gulseth of Pullman, WA.  Please keep St. John and Pastor Gulseth in your prayers.

 

P.P.S. I have recently experienced, and discussed with others, the reality of aging.  I thought you might find this prayer by a Mother Superior in the 1600’s helpful.  It brought a nod to my head and a smile to my face.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXpxsd5th3Av2PAi6

 

P.P.P.S. On Saturday, October 15 many of the Florida Rockeys gathered.  I did not take many pictures, but did get this one of 3 ladies on a couch.  J   https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhEUqBcAza4QKv3o6

 

P.P.P.P.S.  I did find some time for fishing in Florida during the past week.

·       Thursday, October 13 I fished with brother-in-law, Mark, on the Suwannee River. https://photos.app.goo.gl/o19513ZcWQPYEsXj7

 

·       Sunday, October 16 I went fishing after church in a local lake. https://photos.app.goo.gl/L2wpr7TQDfkhwKiL7

 

·       Tuesday, October 18 I went fishing in a local reservoir. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fnoz1BD2sq3goq3D7

 

P.P.P.P.P.S. Anchorage Lutheran Church is hosting a special Organ Concert on October 23.  Here is the announcement.

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment