Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Are You Looking for Help in Giving CHRISTmas Gifts This Year? - Suggesting a Way That You Can Give the Gift of God’s Love Again this Christmas!"

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Christmas Day is approaching, quickly.  So . . . are you ready with all the gifts which you hope to give to others?  Kathy and I scheduled our gift shopping this year for Thursday, December 7.  But, we always wonder about which gifts to give for those on our list.  Do you ever struggle with what to give for Christmas?  When our family was younger, Kathy and I would work hard to give appropriate, faithful gifts to our children.  Sure, our children received some toys or sports equipment.  But, I / we did not want to just give them what everyone else was also getting.  We did not want to give a gift that would be exciting on Christmas Day, but forgotten a week later.  We did not want to give a gift which was cheaply made and would break easily.  We also did not want to give a gift which could give the wrong kind of message.  We tried not to give toys or gifts which spoke of values different than those to which Jesus calls us.  Instead, we tried to give gifts which lasted, gifts which could educate, gifts which shared positive values, gifts which even spoke of the love of Jesus.  I’m not sure we always succeeded in our goals, but we tried to give gifts at the celebration of the Savior’s birth which would help our children grow as Christians.  In many ways, we have the same goals today for our grandchildren.

 

How about you?  Do you ever struggle with which gifts to give?  Do you have some of the same struggles and questions which Kathy and I had?  If you have those questions in your mind and heart I have a suggestion for you. This gift suggestion does not cost a lot of money, but gives wonderful blessings.  My Christmas gift suggestion is this: ask your loved one what is on their heart for which they would like you to pray.  Then faithfully pray for your friend or loved one daily concerning that issue in the coming year.

 

When you pray for someone else, you are praying that God would act in His love, in His power and His mercy in their lives.  You are asking God to be with them, and to accomplish His purposes of love for them.  Could we give any better gift than God’s love in our lives today, or any better gift than God’s love for eternity?

 

Paul asked the gift of prayer from the Christians in Ephesus.  After encouraging these believers to “Put on the whole armor of God,” he then asks help for himself.  19 Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.”  (Ephesians 6:19-20) Paul asks the Ephesians to pray that God would help him in sharing the good news of Jesus.  Perhaps the scripture record of Paul’s effective missionary work shares with us how well God did answer these prayers.  Prayer is powerful. And God answers prayer!

I share this recommendation with you after a conversation I had on Sunday evening, November 27 with friends Wayne and Mary Mize.  I had led worship at two churches on the Kenai Peninsula that day, made a couple of home calls, and taught an evening class.  On past trips, after serving in these peninsula churches I drove home in the evening, even though it is a three and a half hour drive through the mountains.  But, it was November, and dark, and I remembered a drive of terror last December.  So I stayed the night in Sterling with the Mizes.

 

In November 2021 Wayne and Mary kept our dog, Mat, while we were in Florida.  I drove down in early December to bring Mat home.  After a short visit, I climbed in my truck with Mat and we started driving toward Palmer.  Around Cooper Landing the snow began falling.  I was delayed for about an hour as rescue workers took care of a serious accident.  Then I drove the 50 miles over Turnagain Pass.  It was snowing so hard I could not see the road in front of me, nor the tracks of others.  I thought of stopping, but what if someone else could not see me, and hit me from behind?  I tried to turn off into some of the rest areas I knew, but twice I almost got stuck in the deep snow berms.  My wipers kept the snow off my windshield, but when I would hit a drift, the snow exploded, covering my windshield with deep piles of snow.  Driving about 25 miles hour, or a little more, or less, my hands gripped the steering wheel.  As I started down out of the pass, I saw another vehicle, coming straight at me in the only tire tracks there were.  But, since we were both traveling only 15 miles an hour at that time, we were able to drive around one another.  Finally, after about two hours or more of tension, I made it down the mountain pass, surprisingly safely.

 

As I visited with the Mizes this November 27, we discussed that I would spend Sunday night with them.  I did not want a repeat of last year’s drive.  Mary then said something that, when I later thought about it, really struck me.  “When you left last year I kept praying for you all the way home.”  I have many people on my own personal prayer list.  I have rejoiced many times in God’s gracious answers to these prayers.  But, it surprised me to think of being the recipient of the blessings from someone else’s prayer for me.  As I thought about that drive again, I am sure the Lord was with me, and He was answering Mary’s prayers.

 

Do you ever struggle with which gifts to give to loved ones as you celebrate Jesus’ birth?  Again, my Christmas gift suggestion is that you ask your loved one what is on their heart. Ask them what they would like you to pray about to God for them.  This does not have to be a cheap way to get out of giving other gifts.  You can still buy them beautiful material presents.  But, perhaps you can give a card, speak your love, and then ask, “What’s on your heart? What would you like me to pray about to God for you?”  Give time for them to respond in a personal way.  Then faithfully pray for them daily concerning that issue in the coming year.  Christmas after all celebrates the gift of God’s love.  You may give no better gift this Christmas!

 

A Child of God, Suggesting a Way That You Can Give the Gift of God’s Love Again this Christmas!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  St. John prepares for Jesus’ Christmas coming with Wednesday evening Advent meals and worship services.  On Wednesday, December 7, there is an Advent meal at 5:30 p.m., and Advent worship at 6:30 p.m.  Come and join others in preparing to receive the Christmas gift of Jesus.

 

P.P.S.  I saw some beauty in God’s winter creation again this past week.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/qbrD8fQDNCfEesEu6

 

P.P.P.S.  I went ice fishing on Monday, December 5 with Kym Miller. We did well.  We caught 20 or more nice trout, and kept 7.  The Rockey family ate trout for supper on Monday night.  J  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/31divwkYR3Jer61o9

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment