Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Can You See the Power and Love of God in Your Life?

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Have you ever been frustrated? Have you ever been so frustrated that you threw up your hands saying, “I give up.  I can’t do this anymore!”?  In frustration, or because you were overwhelmed, have you ever said with some truth in your words, “Lord, take me!”?  I know everyone faces frustration.  So, I want you to know that when you face frustration you are in good company.  Even more, I want you to know there is strength and help to carry you in these difficult times.

 

In my devotions on Tuesday, March 21, I read from Numbers 11 and 12.  In Numbers 11 the people of God complained because they were tired of the same old food.  “We never see anything but this manna.” (Numbers 11:4) Consider, however, that this manna was an amazing gift from God to feed the whole nation of Israel in the wilderness!  The people wanted meat! Moses responded to God in the following verses. “Why have you brought this trouble on your servant? . . . The burden is too heavy for me.  If this is how you are going to treat me, put me to death right now.” (Numbers 11:10, 14-15) Then, when God told Moses that the people would indeed eat meat, Moses replied in frustrated disbelief.  “Here I am among 600,000 men on foot, and you say, ‘I will give them meat to eat for a whole month?’ . . . Would they have enough if all the fish in the sea were caught for them?” (Numbers 11:21-22)  Moses heard the complaints of the people. He knew that he could not fill their wishes.  He was overwhelmed!

 

What frustrates you right now?  What feels too big for even God to fix?  What scares you about the present or the future?  Personally, I look at the direction of our nation, and our world, and I am seriously concerned for my children and grandchildren.  Also, I have some friends and know of others with cancer, and the diagnosis does not look good.  In addition, I pray for people and their relationships, but sometimes those relationships seem beyond repair, or almost beyond repair.  Life can seem overwhelming.

 

Please also consider that our Lord Himself reached a time where he was overwhelmed.  In the Garden of Gethsemane, knowing of His coming arrest, of His sham trial, of His scourging, crucifixion, and death, Jesus prayed for relief.  Jesus tells His disciples, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.” (Matthew 26:38)  Then Jesus prayed to the Heavenly Father, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.”  (Matthew 26:39 a) Jesus knew that His suffering and death was near, and Jesus the man was overwhelmed.

 

However, when Moses went to God, frustrated and overwhelmed, God had a sharp answer for  Moses’ complaint.  “Is the Lord’s arm too short?  You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.” (Numbers 11:23)  The Lord’s arm was NOT too short.  He sent a wind which drove quail to the Israelite camp for “a day’s walk” around the camp.  God did provide, not only for the needs but also for the wants of His people.  In fact, they grew sick of all the quail.  God’s power and love are greater than our troubles, and greater than our frustrations.

 

Jesus’ prayer in the garden was not only that He could escape His coming suffering and death.  He also prayed to His Father in these words. “Yet not as I will, but as you will.”  (Matthew 26:39 b) Jesus was overwhelmed, but He put His life into His Father’s hands.  Jesus’ prayer was answered.  The cup was not taken away, but neither was God’s arm too short.  The Heavenly Father  accomplished His divine will.  In Jesus’ suffering and death, He paid for the sin of the whole world, for my sin and your sin.  Then, according to the wisdom and the will of the Father, Jesus rose on the third day from the dead, defeating the sin and death which overwhelm us in this world. 

 

Have you been frustrated recently? Have you perhaps been so frustrated that you threw up your hands saying, “I give up.  I can’t do this anymore!”?  The arm of God is not too short.  In love He shows His power, even in our trouble, even in our pain, even in death. God accomplishes His love for us through Jesus.  Can you see the power and love of God in your life?

 

A Child of God, Trusting the Love and Power of God through Life’s Overwhelming Frustrations,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Long-time friends, Rick and Kristi Armstrong, visited us March 15-18.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures of all of us together.  However, I did get some pictures when Rick and I went fishing on the Suwannee River, Friday, March 17.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/iMeqmzwX118nNf5r5

 

P.P.S.  I was scheduled to fish with my brother Stephen on Saturday, March 18.  However, the forecast was for thunder storms from 3:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., so we cancelled.  But, the weather forecast was wrong.  So, Stephen and I met at 1:30 p.m. at Orange Lake, in the hard rain.  But, when the rain started to let up, we went fishing.  In about 2 hours of fishing we caught 3 nice bass.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fDr6LjTDXXGLzvkh8

 

P.P.P.S.  Finally, because I had choir scheduled for Tuesday evening, and I had many errands to run, I did not plan on fishing on Tuesday.  I accomplished all my errands, and then choir was cancelled.  So, guess what?  I went fishing at Rodman Reservoir.  It wasn’t a full day, but I returned with 2 nice bass.  Here are some more pictures.  J https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxAD4QkQSNhWLPVW8

 

*****

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

“1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment