Tuesday, May 2, 2023

It's VITAL! It's IMPORTANT - 'The Lord is Your Life!'

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

A number of years ago I had a Christian friend in Alaska who suffered from high blood pressure.  He made the decision to stop taking his medication, and . . . he ended up in the hospital with a stroke.  I cared about this friend, so I tried to impress upon him how vital and important it was for him to take his medicine.  I did not want the situation to get worse. I prayed for his health.

 

As Confirmation Day 2023 approaches for St. John Lutheran in Palmer, I have similar concerns.  Every year I was pastor, in whichever church I served, I looked at the young people committing themselves as disciples to Jesus and hoped they understood just how important Jesus is for their lives in this world, and for their eternal life.  Sometimes this concern gets even more personal, depending on who is confirmed, like when one of my children was confirmed, or grandchildren.  This year two of my grandchildren will stand up and confess their faith. They will share how they want to follow Jesus.  I hope and pray that the words they speak travel from their head to their heart, and that they do understand how important Jesus is to their lives, now and eternally.

 

On Tuesday morning, May 2, I finished reading through Deuteronomy again in my daily devotions.  Deuteronomy is a book of Moses’ last words to the people whom he has led, and prayed for, and struggled with, for 40 years on their journey through the wilderness.  In this book Moses continues to remind the people of Israel of God’s goodness, His grace, and His law.  Moses also reminds the people of their unfaithfulness and disobedience, and tells them that when they stray from God, there are serious consequences.

 

In Moses’ effort to get across to the Israelites just how important their relationship with the Creator and Lord of all is, he speaks these words, hoping and praying to touch their hearts.  19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” (Deuteronomy 30:19-20) Did you hear that?  “Choose life!”  The Lord is your life!”  In other words, amidst all the other choices one makes in life, Moses is sharing his heart once again that the most important choice is to respond faithfully to the lordship and the love of God!  That is vital.  It is important.  It’s personal!

 

As grandparents, Kathy and I have purchased gifts for our grandchildren, Jackson and Emma, who are being confirmed on May 7 at St. John.  As with an older grandchild, Jake, we purchased bible covers.  These covers are not as expensive as Jake’s was, so we bought another gift for each of them.  We bought Jackson a study bible, which he did not own personally.  And, we chose a single pearl on a gold chain for our granddaughter, Emma.  (I can share with you that we are giving these gifts because Jackson and Emma do not read these devotions, yet.)

 

I am pleased with both of these gifts we are giving for specific reasons.  Paul was spiritual father to young Pastor Timothy.  As Timothy faced the trials of life, Paul encouraged him, 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”  (2 Timothy 3:14-17)  In other words, it is the Scriptures, it is the Bible, through which God makes a person “wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” That is vital.  It is important.  It’s personal!  So, Jackson receives a Bible.

 

As Jesus is telling “kingdom parables” in Matthew 13, He works to get through the distractions of this world to the hearts of those listening.  "45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” (Matthew 13:45-46) Jesus lived for us. He suffered and died for us. He rose for us that we might receive the kingdom of God.  Through Jesus we receive love and peace and joy in the trials of this world.  Through Jesus we receive eternal life in heaven.  Through Jesus we receive the kingdom of God. Our relationship with our Lord Jesus is the pearl of great price.  It’s vital.  It is important.  It’s personal!  So, Emma receives a pearl.

 

God does not just speak to the people of Israel in the wilderness through Moses. Jesus doesn’t just speak to the people gathered around to hear Him teach.  Paul does not just share this heart-felt encouragement with Timothy.  God is speaking through these verses TO US today.  19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life!”

 

Have these words of love and life entered your heart?

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Share With Those I Love How Vitally Important Jesus Is!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  We are preparing to return to Alaska, and are spending time with family and friends.

·       On Thursday, April 27, I had one last fishing trip with my brother-in-law, Mark Reaves.  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lw9nGrWVRMdVbWaH8

 

·       On Saturday, we held our now annual fish fry.  Even though rain threatened, and did arrive after we prepared to eat, we did have about 35 people attend the fish fry and we had a great time.  I didn’t take many pictures because I was cooking and serving.  However, here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/obGh5zsa6ERCoM1p9

 

·       On Sunday I preached at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL, while Pastor John Glover was out of town.  First Lutheran is home, the church where I grew up in FL, and the place I was confirmed.

 

·       On Monday and Wednesday I spent time with golf friends.

 

·       On Tuesday, we had an afternoon meal with Pastor Bob and Elaine Besalski.  Pastor B. has been my pastor since my family moved from Massachusetts to Florida in 1965.  J  He turns 90 in July.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxRxqr9M5duwBq8bA

 

P.P.S.  As we prepare to leave Florida, some things are just coming to life.

·       The birds have found our bird feeder BIG TIME!  Here are a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uHCxEJtwmHxP4LeMA

 

·       Flowers and tomatoes are blooming and bearing fruit.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/VAKZF8vUobwUJgmW7

 

P.P.P.S.  I also went fishing one other time at Orange Lake on Friday, April 28, thinking that maybe I needed just a few more fish for the fish fry. (I was wrong . . .again!)  We had 60 bass in the freezer, but we had also invited over 50 people to our home.  However, the wind blew so badly, I could not fish with my trolling motor; it would not push the boat against the wind.  In fact, when I threw in my anchor, it dragged on the bottom in the wind the boat still moved.  I tried hiding behind trees and bushes, but that did not work.  I caught no fish, and took no pictures.  L

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it. 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment