Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Biblical Trash-Talking?

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

What do you think of ‘trash-talking?’  This phenomenon began in our sports world, but is now part of politics and all our public life.  Our world has changed.  When I grew up I was taught to show good sportsmanship.  I was encouraged to show humility about my own talents and accomplishments, and to give credit to my opponents.  Cassius Clay (soon after, Mohamed Ali) shocked our society in the 1960’s by declaring, “I am the GREATEST!”  Actually, he was arguably the greatest boxer we have seen.  However, I am still offended when people seek to build themselves up by putting others down.

 

I ask these questions because, in my daily devotions on Tuesday, June 20, I again read the Biblical account of David and Goliath.  You see, trash-talking is not new.  Listen to the Goliath’s words as he elevated himself by putting David down.  42 He [Goliath] looked David over and saw that he was only a boy, ruddy and handsome, and he despised him. 43 He said to David, ‘Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?’ And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.  44 ‘Come here,’ he said, ‘and I'll give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!’" (1 Samuel 17:42-44) These words sounded threatening when spoken, but ultimately they ring hollow because David killed Goliath and then the Israelite army routed the Philistines.

 

There are many other similar examples in Scripture of people speaking empty words of self-elevation.  Do you remember the taunts and claims of the Assyrian King, Sennacherib, against the Jewish king, Hezekiah, and against the Lord himself?  (Isaiah 36)  The Lord, however, won a great victory for Judah over the larger and stronger Assyrian army.  Perhaps we can name Satan as the ultimate trash talker.  We see him speak badly about God’s servant, Job, in Job 1 and 2.  But, during the devil’s temptation and duel with Jesus in the wilderness, he made great personal claims of power and greatness (Matthew 4:1-11, Luke 4:1-13).  Make no mistake.  The devil is indeed strong, as were Goliath, and Sennacherib, and other proud men.  But, Jesus proved Satan’s claims empty and He defeated the devil by living a sinless life which overcame the temptations of Satan.  Jesus proved the devil’s claims empty as He overcame Satan’s power by rising from the dead. Jesus showed the claims of the devil to be empty as offers forgiveness and eternal life in heaven to all who believe in Him.

 

If a person reads 1 Samuel 17 again, they might say that David also spoke words of confidence and expected victory, a kind of trash-talking.  But, the other trash-talkers all pridefully proclaimed their own praises.  David does not elevate himself, but instead proclaims the power and glory of the Lord, God.  45 David said to the Philistine, ‘You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel.’”  (1 Samuel 17:45-46)

 

Pride can be deadly.  When we trust ourselves we often forget that we are sinful people with our own weaknesses.  When pride fills our hearts we forget that the blessings and accomplishments we have were given to us by the Lord Himself.  I have heard people say, “Anyone can show character when life is going well.  But, how does a person live when faced with adversity?”  However, it may actually be even more difficult for a person to keep proper perspective when life goes well!  That is when a person can develop a big head, the kind of empty pride shown by Goliath, shown by Sennacherib, and shown by Satan.  I am thankful that my wife, Kathy, tells me “My job is to keep you humble.” J

 

God shares the truth of life which we need to know.  In Romans 3:23-24 the Lord teaches us  “. . . all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.   24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”  Because we are corrupted by sin we cannot boast in ourselves.  But, we can trust in the Lord and His love and grace for us in Jesus.  We do have reason for faith, or confidence.  As we hear in Romans 8:37-39, “37 . . . in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  We have the victory over this world and our own weaknesses in Jesus.  Perhaps Paul sums up our best approach to life.  “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14)

       

I am a sports fan.  I recently watched the pro basketball and hockey playoffs.  There may have been less trash-talking during the games this year.  But, if you heard the words spoken during the victory parades and celebrations, well some of those claims may prove empty if the teams do not repeat again. 

 

Personally, as a child of God I strive to be humble through the challenges of life. I strive to trust in, to boast in, my Lord, who sees me through adversity and through success, who brings me to eternal life.  “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Refrain from Trash-talking, But to Boast in the LORD!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  I may have made it through the work of getting our gardens finally prepared for summer growth.  There will still be work.

·     Here are some pictures from my vegetable garden. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gK6EMRn4qo8RBNh9

·     Here are pictures from our flower gardens. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LsRPHD9x2WxBUGVK6

 

P.P.S.  I did finally go salmon fishing.  The last time I fished on the Russian River was 25-30 years ago with friend, Pastor Paul Birner.  But, I enjoyed the “combat fishing” experience on Friday, June 16, even though I had to learn fishing that location again, and even though I did slip and fall.  Also, I did not see the bears, but others near me saw a sow and cub brown bear.  Here is a picture of the fish I caught.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/R7KaG1y8EGSv34qP6

 

P.P.P.S.  I am also spending much time getting my daughter’s house ready for move-in.  J

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior  full-time pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it. 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment