Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Blessed by the Prayers of Other Christians

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,  

 

Every once in a while a Christian is surprised by an unexpected act of grace and faith in on our behalf.  This happened to me on Tuesday, August 8, in of all places the parking lot at the Palmer 3 Bears.  I was leaving the store with a small bag of groceries when I saw Stan Guthrie, the owner Stan’s Country Cutts where I have gone for the last few years in order for them to cut the little hair left on my head.  Stan is an active Christian in our community, whom I consider a friend. 

 

As we saw each other Stan reached out to shake my hand.  I stopped him.  I have been ill with some form of stomach flu for 5 days and I did not want to pass the disease on by shaking Stan’s hand.  I explained my symptoms and he shared a similar affliction he suffered earlier this year.  As we conversed, Stan offered, “I’ll pray for you.  I’ll put you on my prayer chain.”  I believe him.

 

I have shared previously in my devotional writings that I keep an active prayer list.  My list changes as people I know and care about have joys and trials in their lives.  I believe the Lord hears each prayer.  I further believe the Lord answers all prayers in wisdom and in love.  I often contact those for whom I’m praying to see how they are doing, to see how God is responding to our prayers.  In addition, I know that people pray for me.  But, sometimes the gift of the prayers of others is a pleasant surprise.  Just imagine how God answers!

 

Our greatest gift in this world is God’s gracious love and mercy given in the life and death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus.  But God also gives love, encouragement, and help for our lives and for our faith through fellow believers.  One of those great helps is found in the prayers of other Christians.  Consider, please, the words of God through St. Paul as God prepares us for the spiritual battles of life.  12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. . . .17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.”  (Ephesians 10:12-13, 17-18)

 

Life has always been a journey of trials and suffering.  There are spiritual battles as well as the struggles of life.  And, in recent years, our world has been turning more and more away from our Lord, and away from His guidance for life.  We need help!  Jesus has defeated the devil.  God helps us in this life.  He gives other Christians to walk beside us, and to pray for us.

 

Who are you praying for?  Who is praying for you?

 

A Child of God, Blessed by the Prayers of Other Christians,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Last week I shared that I received a phone call from the Florida-Georgia District President (my brother, James) on Monday, July 24, asking me to consider serving as vacancy pastor at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL, until they get their next permanent pastor.  This is the congregation where I grew up. 

I gave prayerful consideration to the request to serve as their vacancy pastor.  I actually tried to find reasons to say no. But, Kathy and I saw the offer as an answer to previous prayers. And, for every objection we had, the Lord seemed to have an answer.  Therefore, we said “Yes” to the opportunity to serve First Lutheran Church on a six month renewable contract, beginning in September. 

The tough part is the people and opportunities to serve we leave behind. But again, seeking to following the leading of God, we said “Yes” to Gainesville.

 

P.P.S.  I only went fishing once in the past week.  While Gerry Zellar and I did not have any bites, we did see some “tracks” on the beach downstream from the landing on the Little Susitna.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/eXWfwDvtiuSB9fdR7

 

P.P.P.S. Our garden is in full production.  Here are a few pictures

·       I picked the end of the strawberries and beginning of our raspberries recently.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/baZfrCWk3YZHnsc17

·       I picked cabbage and broccoli on August 7. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NkHZW7mhCfJE3N9k8

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior  full-time pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it. 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)


No comments:

Post a Comment