Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Surprised And Thankful At God's Answers to Our Prayers

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

On Wednesday, October 4, I was reading my Bible and praying during my personal devotional time.  The reading was from Nehemiah 2 and 3.  The previous day in chapter 1, Nehemiah receives word that, “The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and it’s gates destroyed.” (Nehemiah 1:3)  Nehemiah wept.  In chapter two the Persian king asks Nehemiah, his cup bearer, “Why is your face sad, seeing you are not sick?  This is nothing but sadness of the heart.” (Nehemiah 2:2)  After Nehemiah’s answer, the Persian king sends him to rebuild the city and the temple.  The devotional writer comments concerning Nehemiah’s prayer of the heart, “More often than you might think, God uses us as part of His answer to our own prayers.”  Or, perhaps you have also heard the tongue-in-cheek saying, “Watch what you pray for.”

 

I personally know the truth of those sayings.  Over 30 years ago, when I served as pastor in Jacksonville, FL, we had been facing a long hot, dry spell.  I prayed in our worship service for rain.  Hmmm! You know what happened.  It rained and rained and rained.  One of my members asked me, “Pastor, please stop praying for rain!” 

 

The words of my devotional writer, however, reminded me of my recent prayer experience.  My prayer list includes many individuals and situations.  I pray for those in need. I also give thanks to God for answers to prayers.  Among my prayers for God’s church was a prayer for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.  This is the congregation my family and I attended as I grew up in Florida.  It is also where Kathy and I worship when we visit Florida and our family there.  COVID was tough on First Lutheran, so I have been praying for them.  In addition, as I prayed for myself, my prayer was that God would use my retirement for ministry in his church. 

 

Well, in July, while at our fishing cabin in Alaska, I received a phone call from my brother, James.  I thought this was a “brother phone call.”  But, James is also District President for the Florida-Georgia District of the Lutheran Church.  It was not a “brother phone call.”  It was a “church business phone call.”  James informed me that the people of First Lutheran Church had asked for me to serve as their vacancy pastor.  When Kathy and I left Florida in May, Pastor John Glover was still serving First Lutheran.  In fact, Pastor Glover’s family stayed at our Florida home for the graduation of his daughter from high school.  Nevertheless, the Lord led Pastor Glover to take a call to serve elsewhere, and now First Lutheran needed a pastor to serve until they get a permanent full-time pastor.  I was shocked.  However remember, “More often than you might think, God uses us as part of His answer to our own prayers.”  Or, “Watch what you pray for!”

 

In all honesty, these sayings are good news.  Jesus teaches in The Sermon on the Mount, 7Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8).  Our Heavenly Father hears our prayers and answers them.  Another assurance of God’s love comes from Romans 8:31-2, 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?”  Our Lord gives His Son, and all that we need.

 

It is good news that God loves us, that He listens to our prayers, and that our Lord’s answer to those prayers are found in Jesus.  Ultimately, God’s forgiving and saving love in Jesus is exactly what we need.  It IS good news that God listens.  It IS good news that our Lord uses us to do His ministry.  It really IS good news that God says yes to us through His saving Love in Jesus1

 

What are you praying about?  How might God use you?

 

A Child of God, Surprised and Thankful at God’s Answers to Our Prayers.

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and I received our $1312.00 Permanent Fund Dividend checks from Alaska on Tuesday, October 3.  We then wrote a check for $262.40, 10% of our PFD’s, to our home congregation, St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  I urge you to manage God’s gifts to you in a way that helps His church spread the good news of Jesus!

 

P.P.S. Some staff from First Lutheran Church in Gainesville attended the Florida-Georgia District All Workers’ / President’s Equip Conference.  It was held in Orlando September 28-30.  We heard presentations, worshiped our Lord, and visited with other workers.  Here is a picture of Open Arms Director, Angie Burr, Vacancy Pastor, Jonathan Rockey, and former First Lutheran pastor, John Roth.  We had lunch together on Friday, September 29. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpC3GVtvLp3Bu4Pm6

 

P.P.P.S.  I read a story at the Open Arms CDC on Tuesday.  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/AL3UpHkQoRgy4Ayr7

 

P.P.P.P.S.  I have been busy and it had been a couple of weeks since I went fishing.  I plan to fish the week of October 1.  Here are some pictures of a fishing trip on Monday, October 2.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/qfuGE5VM31JVzuE27

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

        Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

         

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

No comments:

Post a Comment