Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Knowing My Lack of Wisdom – Trusting Our Lord’s Wisdom in Scripture

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

In the past week I have had a number of conversations with fellow Christians.  In the Acts Bible Class I teach on Sunday mornings, we read in chapter 13 about Paul and Barnabas “shaking the dust from their feet” and asked, “When do we move on from one person or group of people, and share the good news of Jesus with others?”  We looked at Matthew 10:13-14 and listened to the Lord. 

 

On Sunday afternoon, in a “Basic Teachings of the Bible” Class, we discussed many topics, including baptism and the Lord’s Supper.  We looked at God’s Word for direction and understanding.  We read Ephesians 5:26 and Acts 2:38-39, and Colossians 2:10-12 concerning how God acts in Baptism, and what this gift of God means to us.  We also considered Matthew 26:26-28 and 1 Corinthians 11:23-29 concerning the Lord’s Supper.  We let the Lord speak to us as we sought to understand how important these gifts are to Christians as we seek to follow the call of our Lord.

 

On Tuesday evening I attended another group.  There were a number of questions about worship and church practice and about calling a new pastor.  We discussed Bible verses and sought answers from the Lord.

 

Some think a pastor does not want to be confronted with difficult questions.  I will share with you that I don’t believe I personally have answers to life’s tough questions.  I am weak.  My mind is limited.  I am sinful.  I do not have wisdom for some of the easy questions in life.  Never mind the difficult questions.  I don’t personally have the answers, but our Lord does.  I believe in the wisdom and knowledge of God, I believe in His judgements and His ways.  Listen to Romans 11.  33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable a0re his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 34 "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" 35 "Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?" 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.”  (Romans 11:33-36)

 

You see, I need God’s wisdom and His answers.  And, I believe that our Lord shares His wisdom in Scripture.  Therefore, an important verse to my faith and my practice of that faith is 2 Timothy 3:14-17.  14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”  Wisdom of God for salvation comes from the ‘sacred writings.’  Scripture, breathed by God, gives teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness.”

 

When it comes to tough questions, I am not sorry to have them asked.  Personally, I enjoy being asked questions where I have to go to the Bible and let God speak.  For over 70 years, He has taught me that He is wiser than I am.  He has taught me His love.  He has taught me that He wants me to trust Him and follow Him.

 

Do you have any questions?  I would be glad to hear from you.  I may not have the answers, but we can go to God’s Word together.

 

A Child of God, Knowing My Lack of Wisdom – Trusting Our Lord’s Wisdom in Scripture,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  NEWS AND MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES AT First Lutheran Church – Gainesville!

           

THE FIRST LUTHERAN FISH FRY / COOKOUT, VOLUNTEER AND TIME AND TALENT SUNDAY saw lots of food, lots of fellowship, and people volunteering to help do the Lord’s work at First Lutheran.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ej8G2h1ptuvfqsNQ9

 

CALL COMMITTEE NEWS – Members turned in names of potential people to consider as the new pastor for First Lutheran.  On Monday, President, Mark Hoyer, sent 8 names to the FL-GA District Office.  District will check the availability of these men to receive a call, and return a list to us to consider for the next pastor at First Lutheran.  Please keep this process in prayer.

 

A STUDY OF THE BOOK OF ACTS continues on Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m. in the Besalski Fellowship Hall.  We are currently studying chapter 14, the beginning of Paul’s missionary journeys.  Come and join us in studying about the history of the early Christian Church!

 

WE CONTINUE TO READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE IN 2024 and 2025 using the Today’s Light Devotional Bible.  On April 23 we read Deuteronomy 27, which shares the blessings of serving the Lord and the curses of forsaking Him.

Feel free to contact Pastor Rockey if you have any questions at 907-841-4066, or at jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

SUNDAY SCHOOL IS HELD EACH SUNDAY DURING WORSHIP.  PLEASE bring your children and grandchildren!

 

BASIC TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE / NEW MEMBER CLASS –This class began on February 11thand finished after the Fish Fry on Sunday, April 21.  We expect to receive two unew members for First Lutheran.  We will receive them into membership the end of June or beginning of July. (We are waiting for a UF student to return to Gainesville.)

            If anyone else is desireing to be received by transfer or reaffirmation of faith please call the church office or let Pastor Rockey know.

 

P.P.S.  PICTURES – AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

 

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST – I went fishing once since my last devotion.  On Friday, April 19, I went fishing at Orange Lake to provide the final few fish for the First Lutheran Fish Fry.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/tU6mVYTUgHtLDu9r5

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

 

 

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment