Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Thankful for Friendship Through Jesus

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

The week of September 27 was a struggle. I felt well during worship that Sunday morning, but after arriving home that afternoon I began to experience symptoms of a raspy voice, which turned into a sore throat, a cough, and congestion.  Add that to a headache and digestive issues.  I fought that cold / flu most of the week.  In fact, after a Wednesday chartered fishing trip, (scheduled in August) I considered visiting the Instant Care facility.  However, as the week went on my health slowly improved.

 

However, perhaps as frustrating as my cold, was the experience of limping along that same week with a new computer. My previous laptop died on September 21, for the fourth and final time. Following advice, I bought a new tablet, but, my software and documents were not all immediately available.  I did my best to accomplish my tasks, in spite of less than optimal tools.  Yet, in the midst of this frustration, as new software was installed, I had a pleasant surprise.

 

That surprise had to do with my distribution lists for my weekly devotion.  Every week I write these devotions and send them out, almost exclusively to people who have asked to receive them.  So this list is a list of acquaintances, people with whom I have history. It is a list of family and friends! Some are people to whom I have ministered.  As I copied the old list to new lists on new software, I saw a number.  Six names were listed and then a box which read “+497 more.”  I guess these devotions are emailed to over 500 people, including posting them on Facebook and Blogspot. 

 

The tedious task of adding names one by one to new distribution lists was actually a pleasant reminder. I thought about each person as their name came forward.  I know much of their stories.  I have been through joys and sorrows with many of these people.  I have prayed for many of the folks receiving these emails.  I became thankful for the many friends, the many brothers and sisters in the faith with which God has blessed me.

 

The Bible has a lot to teach us about friends.  Proverbs 17:17 shares God’s wisdom, “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”  True friends stay with you in the tough times.  God also teaches that true friends are better than many friends. “A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (Proverbs 18:24) However, I consider that having many good friends is a true blessing.  Unfortunately, sometimes friends can also disappoint us.  Psalm 41:9 is a prophecy which Jesus applies to Judas. “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.”

 

But, when Jesus is present in a relationship, that can make all the difference.  In John 15, the night he was betrayed, Jesus taught, “13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.” (John 15:13-17)  Jesus loved us enough to “lay down His life for His friends.”  Thankfully, Jesus laid down His life for us.  Jesus’ love helps friends to love each other in a Christ-like way.

 

As I read through my distribution lists I thought of baptisms, weddings, and funerals.  I thought of fishing trips, hunting trips, and worship services.  I thought of tears and laughter and Christian love.

 

The old hymn is true, “What a Friend we have in Jesus.”  I am also thankful for the friends I have because of Jesus!

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Friendship Through Jesus

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S. I am now serving as Vacancy pastor at Anchorage Lutheran Church in Anchorage. 

 


·       Call Committee – The Executive Leadership Team (ELT) of Anchorage Lutheran has re-started the call process. This committee consists of Lynn Boots, Danielle Bowman, Caleb Fluege, Tim and Genae Meerstein, Alexa Mix, Joel Mix, Joe Pollock, and Karen Quintieri.  Also attending meetings will be ELT President, Steve Fibranz, DCE Matthew Murphy, Vacancy Pastor Jonathan Rockey, and Circuit Visitor Tony Schultz.   The committee met on September 10 for a beginning meeting, and again on Sunday, September 27 after worship to evaluate our self-study.

BEGINNING SUNDAY, OCTOBER 4, ANCHORAGE LUTHERAN MEMBERS ARE AGAIN BEING ASKED TO GIVE INPUT TO THE COMMITTEE ABOUT OUR CONGREGATION, AND ABOUT THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A PASTOR WE BELIEVE WOULD BE SERVE GOD’S WORK IN THIS PLACE.  For 3 Sundays, October 4-18, people will have an opportunity to fill out a questionnaire.

PLEASE PRAY FOR GOD’S BLESSINGS ON THE CALL PROCESS AT ALC!

 

·       Consecration (Stewardship) Sunday – The ELT also voted to conduct a Stewardship Emphasis which will provide education on God’s plans for Christian Stewardship, and will give ALC members an opportunity to consider and plan ways to respond to God’s grace in their lives.  In November worship we will consider a) God’s many blessings in our lives, and b) God’s plan for Stewardship.  In worship on November 15, ALC members will have an opportunity in worship to respond to God’s love, and we will celebrate with a special meal after worship. Please plan now to be part of this growth opportunity.

 

Bible classes –


·       On Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. we have been studying the book of Ephesians downstairs in the fellowship hall, using the CPH “Lifelight” Bible Study. Class begins at 9:00 a.m. downstairs in the Fellowship Hall.  On October 4 we continued studying Ephesians 5, especially talking about marriage.  We hope to begin Ephesians 6 this coming week, to talk about parenthood and possibly ‘the armor of God.’

                        PLEASE FEEL FREE TO JOIN US!.

 

·       New Member Class? –Beginning October 4, I am teaching an Adult Membership Class after late worship.  The class is being held in my office.  This would not only be a way for non-members to join Anchorage Lutheran, but also a good refresher for current members.

 


Other Activities of Faith:


 

·       I am again taking a two-year journey with my Lord, by reading through the Scriptures using the “Today’s Light Devotional Bible.”  On Wednesday, October 7, I read Nehemiah 2 and 3, about rebuilding the city of Jerusalem after the exile to Babylon.

You are welcome to join in this journey of reading God’s Word.  You may also contact me at 907-841-4066 if you have any questions about these readings.  Or send an e-mail question to jonrock53@mtaonline.net  I have received questions and comments about the readings.  It is always good to consider our Lord’s love and guidance. I will TRY to answer, but some things only God knows!

 

P.P.S. Family Fun, Friends, and Fishing!   


 

·       FAMILY BAKING DAY – Kathy and Mary and Megan spent Saturday, October 3, baking “pasties” meat pies.  Here is a picture.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/HWkBUyiRZCzCBUKJ8

 

·       FISHING - I did go fishing on Wednesday, September 30, on the Kenai River.  Gerry Zellar and Harvey Kolberg joined me.  We chartered a trip with long-time guide, Murray Fenton, who also happens to be Harvey Kolberg’s brother-in-law.  The rain stayed away and it was a good day of fishing.  Here are some fishing pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/GGwYnansBJB8K3Uf9  

 

·       I PUT MY BOAT AWAY AND CLOSED UP MY CABIN ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 1.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/6LtHnWjAV14LCDUb8

 

·       FALL AND WINTER – The golden leaves were beautiful at the end of September this year.  But, snow is sneaking down the mountains foretelling the coming of winter.  Here are some pictures from October 1.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/5nENNeEJGvmgp2Wc6  

 

P.P.P.S.  Travel to Lutherland? – I mentioned in a previous devotion that I have been asked again to serve with Wittenberg English Ministry, leading English worship services in Wittenberg where Martin Luther did much of his ministry.  This time Kathy and I will serve from June 15-29, 2027.

When I mentioned that, a number of people asked if we would be leading a tour.  Actually, we had NOT planned to do that.  But we consulted with our friends at Luther Tours, and Donna Taylor worked up 2 tours beginning at the end of our service and going for about another week.  IF we have 15 or more people, Kathy and I would consider leading a tour.  Here is a brochure in case you are interested in going.   Germany 2027 Proposal.pdf

 

*******

 

 

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (I finished for now serving as Assistant to the Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL. I am now serving Anchorage Lutheran Church as Vacancy Pastor.)

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Vacancy Pastor, Anchorage Lutheran Church, Anchorage, AK

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK


 

 

 

 

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment