Friday, October 28, 2011

As a Father Loves his Children

Dear Fellow Children of God,

I remember this day 24 years ago.  Around 8:00 on the morning of October 27 Kathy had gone into labor.  Her mom was staying at our home with us.  Our young sons, Josh who was almost 7 and Andy who was almost 5, were waiting to walk across the street to school.  Around noon the doctor told us to come to the hospital.  We arrived at Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville and then we waited and waited and waited.  Finally around 5:00 p.m. Kathy’s labor picked up, and at 6:00 p.m. the doctor held up our first daughter.  You could see right away she had red hair.  What a joy and blessing our daughter Mary has been to Kathy and to me!

Over the years Kathy and I have received God’s blessings through each of our children.  What a gift!  I think you can see we love our daughter.  We love our children, all 4 of them.

So, considering the love of a parent for their children, please hear what God says to us in Psalm 103: 13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
 
Many of you are parents and you know how you love your children.  If you are not a parent most of us know the love our parents have had for us.  There is a passion deep in my soul that loves each of my children.  Do you know God loves you like a father?  With the passion and compassion of a father, God cares for each of us. 

Do you ever want to take your children, even your grown children, into your arms to hug and love them?  As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;

What a blessing to know and live in the love of our heavenly Father!!

A Child of God, thankful for the love of my Heavenly Father,
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  Here are a few of my favorite pictures of Mary, 24 today!  Happy Birthday, Mary!!


**********

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment