Saturday, February 4, 2012

Put Your Hope in God

Dear Fellow Children of God,

I am currently reading again some delightful books by author, Jan Karon.  She tells the story of a pastor who is serving as shepherd in a small town called, Mitford, NC. (At Home in Mitford is the first book in this series.  I am currently reading In This Mountain which I had not previously read.)  While these books are generally upbeat stories of God’s blessing and power in people’s lives, nevertheless Father Tim faces many serious problems.  As I read the 7th book in this series he personally faces the problem of depression brought on by his diabetes, brought on by a serious auto accident, and brought on by his guilt from that accident.  Perhaps like me, when you read a book you can identify with the character in the book and their life experiences.  As I have identified with Father Tim in this book I have hurt and struggled with him as he faced his depression. I am currently at the place in the book where Father Tim is about to come out of his depression.  I must say that I am certainly ready for his depression to end. 

I have now been pastor in Alaska for over 20 years, and I have known more people here who face depression than any other place.  Perhaps it is because the extreme swings between light and darkness have an effect on people’s mood.  Perhaps depression is so real in Alaska because of the long distance from family and support in the lower 48.  Or maybe people are just more open to talk with me because I have been here so long.  But I know from my time here as pastor that depression is real and it is common.

Sometimes people think if they are depressed there is something wrong with them in a way that is different from others.  But depression is not uncommon among God’s people in Scripture.  Elijah, David, and probably Saul faced depression to name a few.  Some think that Jonah and Paul also faced this crippling experience.  In other words, if a person faces depression it does not mean they are different from other children of God.  In a world ruined by sin it should not surprise us that life can get us down.

As I have read this current book the words of Psalm 42 keep coming to me.  In Psalm 42 verse 5 and verse 11 David writes, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”

In this Psalm we are told that when a person faces depression they can ‘put their hope in God.’ But I have learned from helping people as pastor that when a person is depressed it is often not possible to ‘pull themselves up by their bootstraps.’  You can encourage someone to hope in God, but often they do not feel it.  But I have also learned my feelings do not control God’s faithful love.

If, as Psalm 42 encourages, a person hopes against hope when they may be ‘downcast’ and ‘disturbed’, this does not mean that there are no troubles.  Life is full of trouble because the world is place of rebellion against our Lord and Creator.  But, God’s power is stronger than our troubles.  And, in Jesus’ dying and rising God’s love has overcome our sin and death.  And God offers forgiveness to hurting people through faith in Jesus.  So, in life’s low points a person can continue to ‘put their hope in God’.  His love is stronger than the cause of those low points.

If you get the winter blues, or if you face deep depression, I pray that this verse from Psalm 42 might give you hope.  “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”  Even when we feel down, God’s love for us in Jesus continues.

A Child of God, thankful for God’s sure, powerful love,
Pastor Jonathan


****


ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment