Saturday, July 27, 2013

Where do you go for Comfort?


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

What concerns you right now?  What is it that might keep you awake at night worrying, if you do that sort of thing?  Is it family?  Do finances concern you?  Perhaps the direction of our country keeps you awake.  Maybe you face an illness.

 

I am in St. Louis at the Triennial convention of our church body.  In the last couple of days I have read through many documents about proposals for action by our church, including a 170 page document with all the resolutions which might be acted on in convention.  These are all issues that concern someone.  Some people in the church want action to fix a need or solve a problem.  I confess to you that even though I have read these resolutions and know the story behind many of them, the 170 pages make my head swim.  My eyes glaze over.  There are complexities and intricacies which are beyond my wisdom.

 

What do you do when life seems overwhelming?  When life overwhelms me I go back to the basics.  Rather than building on the complexities of today’s life, I try to build on the sure foundation of God’s love for us found in Jesus.  I work to build on the sure foundation found in God’s word.  So, while I await the beginning of the complexities and discussions (or perhaps arguments) of the convention, a Bible verse speaks to my heart right now.

 

In Job 19, Job is in the midst of loss and confusion.  His property has been destroyed.  His children have died.  Job’s health has left him.   Job has no idea what God is doing.  Yet, in the midst of this overwhelming loss and trial Job writes these words, 23 "Oh, that my words were recorded, that they were written on a scroll, 24 that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead, or engraved in rock forever! 25 I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; 27 I myself will see him with my own eyes-- I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!”  In other words, when Job is overwhelmed by life, he still knows where to go.  Job goes to his redeemer and Job knows that after he dies he will see God.  So, in the midst of confusion and loss, Job has hope.  Job even yearns to see God, even though his life seems in ruins.

 

This convention is not yet started.  Sessions actually start on Sunday.  The issues of the convention in no way approach what Job was facing.  But, as I am concerned and as I am a little overwhelmed, I can say with Job, 25 I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; 27 I myself will see him with my own eyes

 

When life is overwhelming, when it is bigger than we are, life and its problems are not bigger than God.  In fact, Jesus, our Redeemer, died to forgive the sin that causes the problem of this world.  Jesus, our Redeemer, rose so that we know that when we die we will see God.

 

The issues of the convention may be bigger than my wisdom, but they are not bigger than our Redeemer is.  When life is confusing and overwhelming I return to the basics.  I trust God.

 

A Child of God, Trusting in God’s wisdom, not mine,

Pastor Jonathan

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

****

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment