Saturday, June 21, 2014

Interesting Opportunities to Share God's Love


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you know James “Bim” Hoylman?  Bim is one of the newer members of St. John.  He attends late worship on Sundays, regularly riding the wheel chair van to church.  Bim was baptized on March 16 of this year.  But, perhaps you know Bim better as a man who helps Carrs customers carry out their groceries at our local grocery store.  Bim has worked there for about 15 years.  Because of his friendly, outgoing nature many know Bim by name.           

 

Bim and I first got to know each other on the baseball diamond about 12 years ago when I was coaching my son Tim’s Little League team.  Bim and his friend Pete were umpiring as I was coaching the team.  After that when I would see Bim in the grocery store he’d say, “Hi coach.”  When Bim later told me he was no longer umpiring, I told him I was now helping out as an umpire.  Bim asked if he could umpire with me.  So we have now served together for about ten years.

 

Anyway, Bim knows that my weekly devotions are printed in the paper and he asked, “Pastor, could you write an article about me umpiring?”  Actually, Bim has asked me that question regularly for the last month.  (Bim usually calls every day to check in.)  But, what do you write in a Christian devotion about umpiring?  Actually, it may not seem that there is a connection between baseball and faith in Jesus. 

 

But, perhaps this helps to show that faith grows from relationships.  Baseball was the first reason that Bim and I grew to be friends for the last 10 years.  Bim knew I was a pastor and we didn’t just talk baseball, we would also talk about faith issues.  Mainly, Bim would share that he knew Jesus loves him, that God answers prayer, and that God takes care of us even through difficult times. 

 

A few years ago, while he was carrying out groceries at work, Bim was hit by an auto in the parking lot and seriously injured.  During the recovery, even as he went through surgery, Bim reaffirmed his faith that God was taking care of him.  As our friendship grew, so did our faith in God’s love.

 

 Baseball doesn’t seem to be about Christian faith, but anytime a relationship grows there is an opportunity to share.  Baseball first gave Bim and me an opportunity to become friends and share God’s love and faithfulness with each other.  Now we talk more about Jesus than baseball.  Is there anyone in your life with whom you can share Jesus’ love?  In Peter’s first letter he tells us, But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,  (1 Peter 3:15)

 

By the way, you may wonder what kind of umpire Bim is.  Well, in the last game I umpired others questioned two of my calls, possibly with good reason.  In all his calls as umpire this year, even the close ones, Bim seems to have gotten the calls right.  Way to go, Bim!

 

A Child of God, Thankful for my friend and fellow child of God.

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  There is an old joke about the Bible and baseball.  “Do you know there is baseball in the Bible?  (pause)  Scripture does say, ‘In the big inning.’” (see Genesis 1:1)

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment