Saturday, July 5, 2014

God's Gift of Rest


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Have you seen or heard the advertisements for “5- hour energy?”  Energy drinks have become big money makers.  Why do you think so many people feel a need for more energy?  The reason these drinks sell is that people are tired and weary. 

 

There are many reasons for being tired and weary.  We live in a fast paced world where people do more and where more is expected of us.  There are also more opportunities for entertainment, so people busy themselves and don’t always get as much sleep as they need.  Add to this increased busy-ness, the burden of trouble and failure, and you can understand why people today are tired and weary. 

 

In the Gospel lesson assigned in many churches for this coming Sunday Jesus tells those who are following him, 28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

 

 It is good to remember that Scripture talks about rest in a number of ways. The Sabbath is given as a day of rest.  In the ten commandments we are told, "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.” (Exodus 20:8)   Sabbath rest is part of God’s plan for His people in the busy lives we live.  We take a rest from work and spend time with our Creator and Savior.  Worship and rest with our Lord renews the soul.  In addition, when we take a rest from work we place responsibility to provide on someone other than ourselves.  We trust God to provide.  But, how many times have you heard someone suggest Sabbath worship and rest as a solution to being weary and tired?  However, this is part of God’s plan.

 

In Hebrews 3 and 4 the writer talks about “entering God’s rest.”  That rest is found in heaven, where the tears and pain and death of this world are gone.  Many long for the rest of the trouble free life of heaven.

 

But Jesus’ words from Matthew point to the ultimate source of rest.  Jesus calls, "Come to me.  Jesus promises, “I will give you rest.”  When people are tired and weary, Jesus says He is the solution to weariness.   If we are overwhelmed from too much activity and work, Jesus helps us set priorities. “Come to me.”   Sabbath rest is a gift.

 

If we are weary from trouble and failure, Jesus says, “Come to me.”   In the midst of life’s responsibilities and troubles and failures, Jesus assures us, “I love you.”

 

When sin overwhelms us, whether someone else’s sin and a grudge we hold, or our own sin and the guilt we experience, Jesus says, “Come to me.”   “I forgive.

 

When we face death, whether our death or that of a loved one, and know of no solution, Jesus says, “Come to me, I give life”. “whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

 

5-hour energy won’t do any good on the shelf.  A person has to buy and use it the product.  Jesus may give rest, but if we do not trust Him and receive the benefits of his love and mercy and forgiveness and life, it does us no good.  But, when we turn to Jesus, when we trust and follow Him, He helps us.  His love and forgiveness, His presence and the eternal life he gives, help us deal with the troubles of life, with the responsibilities and failures.  Jesus’ forgiveness gives real peace and rest to those burdened with grudges or with guilt. 

 

So, what do you think, will Dr. Oz talk about being tired and weary and tell people about Jesus?  I don’t expect him to do so.  But, I trust the rest Jesus gives the weary and troubled more than I trust dried peas.  Jesus promises,  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

 

A Child of God, Finding Rest in Jesus

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  After worship I Wednesday evening I got to take some young men and their grand parents fishing at a near by lake.  Here are some pictures.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6032452163529441489?banner=pwa

 

P.P.S.  Last week my plan was to write on rest during the slower days of summer.  The lesson for this coming Sunday was the perfect opportunity.  But, if you were in worship on Wednesday, these words may seem familiar.

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment