Saturday, October 18, 2014

Who is Your Family?


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Who is your family?  That may seem a strange question, but it is a question worth considering.

 

You see, Kathy and I have just finished visiting family in FL.  We spent a lot of time with my dad, and we spent a good amount of time with my brothers and my sister and their families.  We worshiped together, ate together, played together (golfing and fishing).  We rejoiced at the baptism of the newest member of our family, Nathan.  After living 5000 miles away from where my birth family lives, it is a joy to get back together and catch up and enjoy God’s blessings together.  I guess that one answer to my question is that Dad, and David, and Martha, and Stephen, and James, and their families are my family, in Florida at least.

 

In addition Kathy’s brother Pat, and his wife Cindy, and their children Lauren and Michael live in Memphis, TN.  We haven’t been there for a while.  So, that is our Memphis family. I also have cousins and other relatives in New England.  That’s our New England family.

 

I admit that while in Florida we missed our children and grandchildren in Alaska.  After all, Kathy and I are blessed to be parents of four children, Josh, Andy, Mary and Tim.  We love them and miss them when we are away.  And, we have six wonderful grand children in Alaska.  Often when they see us they come running to hug us and tell us what is happening in their lives.  What a joy to be the recipient of such un-conditional love.  So, Josh and Erin, Andy and Justine, Mary and Tim, and Jacob, Jackson, Emma, Kendall, Henry, and Annabelle are our family, in Alaska at least.

 

But, while on vacation I confess to missing another family.  I missed my family at St. John.  Some have told us that because so many people have moved to Alaska from other places that your friends and your church become your family.  Think of the time we get to enjoy together.  We spend time receiving the blessings of love and forgiveness from God in worship and Bible Class.  We grow together and enjoy each other’s company.  We laugh and cry together as we share joys and sorrows.  Have you ever thought as your fellow church members as family?  As I sat in worship last Sunday in Gainesville, FL, I realized I longed to be back worshiping at St. John in Palmer.

 

Actually it is God’s plan that His children live as family.  After all, we all share a Heavenly Father through creation.  And, because Jesus left heaven and became a man to save us, we all share Jesus as our brother through God’s saving work.  Hebrews 2 tells us, “10 In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. 11 Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.”  (Hebrews 2:10-11)  There is a song which says it well, “We are brothers and sisters in Christ.”

 

Who is your family?  At first you may think of parents and siblings and other extended family.  But, God also expects His children to provide love and compassion, correction and direction, encouragement and support.  We love one another as God has loved us.  I pray that your church family is a blessing to you in this way.

 

A Child of God, Missing ALL my family in Alaska,

Pastor Jonathan

 


 

P.P.S.  Kathy and I are home until April or May.  We hope to attend the graduation of St. John member, Hunter Richards, from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis in May.

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’    I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . . Or, if you know someone who would like to receive one of these e-mails, please send me their e-mail address.

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment