Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jesus, the Light of the World


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On Friday evening I drove out to Pt. McKenzie to do some business at the Goose Creek Correctional Center.  Thankfully a nearly full moon shone in the sky.  So the drive was not dark like it could have been.  If you have driven among the farms and marshes of Pt. McKenzie you know that light by which to drive on a winter night is a good thing. 

 

When driving in the dark it can be difficult to see if the road is icy, and it was icy on Friday evening.  But I saw the ice easily because of my car lights, and also because of the moonlight.  So, slower speeds were wise. 

 

In the dark night of winter, while driving these country roads, it can be difficult to see the curves coming in the road.  As you perhaps know, curves present another opportunity to lose control of a vehicle when there is ice.  But the moon was shining brightly, so the roads were actually quite visible.  I was able to drive slowly and safely into and out of the curves. 

 

And, in the dark it can be difficult to see any moose that may decide to cross the road in front of one’s vehicle.  Thankfully, I saw easily that there were no moose on the road on Friday night.  In fact, with the large moon and the clear sky I could have turned off my car lights and driven.  I’m sure that many of you have driven by the light of the moon on a clear winter night as well.

 

There are also dangers to our lives as children of God that can be difficult to see.  Many in the world around us may be involved in behaviors that lead us away from the Lord.  But, when something is acceptable to many others our eyes can be blinded to the danger.  A tragedy may rise up in our lives and cause us to doubt the love of God.  Our pain can make it difficult to see God’s loving presence.  The changes and curves of life are difficult for anyone to navigate.  How do we keep on God’s narrow path when we don’t always understand what is happening in our life?

 

So, in the middle of the dangers of darkness in this world, God gives us light.  In Psalm 119 God speaks through David to tell us, Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”  When dangers arise in our lives God’s Word points us to the dangers of sin.  God’s Word also points to the safe path of obedience and righteous.

 

But, life’s greatest dangers are not necessarily found outside of us, but come from inside.  Our desires, our proud self-sufficiency, our weakness in the face of life’s temptations and challenges can cause us to fall away from the love and life that is ours in the Lord.  That is why another statement about God’s light for our life is perhaps more important than the verse from Psalms.  Jesus told his disciples in John 8:12, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

 

Jesus, the righteous Son of God, whose sacrificial love is so contrary to the ways of this world, Jesus is the source of light and life.  When we fail the forgiveness of Jesus gives life.  When we struggle, the sacrificial love of Jesus assures us of God’s presence and help through the hard times.  Following Jesus in faith gives eternal life.  Following Jesus in faith gives direction to the paths of our life in this world.  Jesus is light in a dark world of sin.

 

Driving on icy roads in the middle of a dark winter under a bright moon made me thankful for light that helped keep me safe.  In the darkness and dangers of this world, Jesus is the light of the world. Whoever follows [Jesus] will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

 

A Child of God thankful for the grace and guidance of Jesus, the Light of the World,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  After 7 ½  weeks of recovery from shoulder surgery I will finally be able to go ice fishing.  On Saturday and on Monday I have folks who have offered to pull the cord on the ice auger for me.  I’ll let you know how the fishing goes in next week’s devotion.

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment