Friday, April 3, 2015

A Good Day that Overcomes All Bad Days


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

On a Friday morning in the Spring of 1981 I woke up with plans for a full day of worthwhile activities ahead of me.  I was pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church in inner city St. Louis, MO.  My wife, Kathy, was leaving for work as I was in our basement showering because of interesting plumbing in a 1926 vintage church owned house.  Kathy hollered “Good-by!” as she left for work and told me that our 2 month old son, Josh, was in a baby carrier on the ground floor.  I finished my shower quickly and ran up the stairs. But I found the door from the basement to the ground floor locked.  I ran outside in pajamas to try the back door, but I found the back door locked.  Kathy had automatically locked the house as she left for work, the way we normally did when we left home.  The only difference was that I was still in the house.  Only, now I was locked in the basement and our son was one floor above.

 

I checked out the basement door again, but the hinges were not visible.  I heard Josh starting to cry.  Friday chapel service would also soon be starting at our church parochial school and I was to conduct this chapel service.  There much else planned for the day as well.  Finally, I broke the door knob on the door to get out of the basement.  Now I could take care of Josh and attend to the day’s activities.

 

But I was late to chapel service.  I rushed into the church with Josh in a baby carrier as everyone was waiting.  Then, as I was putting Josh and the diaper bag down, I spilled coffee all over myself.  For the rest of the day everything seemed to go badly.  At the end of an evening marriage enrichment retreat, the pastor and counselor who led the retreat asked me on the way out of the door why I was angry.  I guess it showed.  That morning I had a promising day in front  of me.  But one thing after another seemed to go badly.  I do confess that I was frustrated, and yes maybe even a little angry.

 

I tell this story because I believe that everyone has had one of those bad days.  We expect good, but sometimes event after event causes trouble and our troubles make us throw up our hands in frustration and wonder.  Can you remember one of those days in your life where it seems everything went wrong?

 

This Sunday, however, we are told of a day when people expected loss and sorrow, but instead God’s power and love worked victory and life and joy.  The women went to the tomb of Jesus to anoint His dead body.  They had seen Jesus die on the cross and were convinced that evil had won.  Yet when the ladies arrived at the grave they found the tomb empty, and an angel told them, "Don't be alarmed.  You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him.”  (Mark 16:6)

 

Instead of expecting good and having everything go wrong, the ladies expected grief and were surprised by God’s love.  The ladies were so surprised that they had trouble believing that Jesus had risen.  But, Jesus did rise, even if it took the ladies and the disciples days and weeks to fully comprehend the blessings and victory of Jesus’ resurrection.

 

In fact, Jesus’ rising from the dead changes all the bad days we have ever faced.  We may have faced loss and sorrow, grief and struggle, but God’s love is victorious.  Jesus took our sins to the cross and paid for them, sins which cause life’s trials.  And on Easter, Jesus rose from the dead defeating sin and death, and promising eternal life in heaven for all who believe in Jesus’ victory over death.

 

When Kathy came home from work on that Friday in 1981 she instantly apologized after I told her that I had been locked in the basement.  I confess, and the retreat leader saw it, it took me a little longer to apologize, but I did too.  But, as Christians who know Jesus forgives us and has heaven waiting, we know we can face anything.  As Christians who know Jesus’ Easter victory, we are able move forward in faith because, no matter how many bad days life brings, God has forgiven us and has eternal life waiting as we believe in Jesus.

 

I pray that this Easter you again realize that when Jesus rose He has assured His love for our lives eternally.  Jesus’ rising from the dead overcomes all of our bad days of the past, and all our bad days to come.  We get to live in His love and victory and joy!

 

A Child of God, Seeking to Live in Jesus’ Resurrection Victory,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are pictures from the Basic Teachings of the Bible / Adult Member Class, last Saturday, March 28. 


 

 

P.P.S.  Here are pictures from Stephen Ministry Commissioning last Sunday, March 29.  https://plus.google.com/photos/114993745799525883148/albums/6132567565160737057?banner=pwa

 

 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message. . .

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment