Friday, August 14, 2015

God's Simple Wisdom


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Sometimes, the best wisdom comes from the mouths of babes.

 

Life can get complicated, really complicated.  It would be wonderful to find a simple solution to life’s complex problems.  This reminds me of a fishing trip last February with my grandson, Henry.

 

Henry and I went ice fishing at Long Lake at mile 85 on the Glenn Highway on a Monday afternoon in February.  It was a cold and windy day, so Henry stayed in the truck while I started the fish to biting.  We did not stay long, but we caught fish.  (You can look at the pictures.)

 

As we drove home I was pointing out animals and land marks.  “That’s King Mountain, Henry,” I told him as we passed the large tent looking mountain across the river to the left of where we drove. 

 

The thought patterns of a 3 year old can be mysterious.  Henry’s response went something like this.  “Poppy, do you see that mountain.  We could take our sleds up there and slide down.  Do you see where?  Or, if we can’t go there, the mountain next to it would work.  We can ask King.”

 

“We can ask King.”  After all, it was King Mountain.  I sort of understand his logic there.  And, the solution is very simple.  If the mountain belongs to King, as Henry thought, we just ask him.  Surely he would listen and help us out, as any reasonable person would.  That was Henry’s logic at least.

 

There is a simple wisdom to Henry’s logic.  If I have a question of someone, just ask them.  Such a solution is simple, direct, and assumes the best of the other person.  It’s such a simple solution!  How many times do we become distraught because we have trouble going to someone else with our questions or concerns?  Perhaps our thought or request might seem to be pushing the envelope. Maybe we are asking more than might be comfortable for the other person.  Or perhaps our question might be considered criticism.  So, we hesitate in our communication.  But, the first simple solution is, “We can ask King.”

 

Actually, God tells us the same thing that Henry assumes about our relationship and conversations with Him and others.  Listen to these verses that follow.

 

Psalm 50: 15 “and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."  That’s pretty simple.  If we have trouble, call on or ask God!

 

Matthew 7:7, 11 7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. . .  11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”  Again, God calls us to simply ask Him, about anything.  God will answer as a loving father.

 

Matthew 18: 15 "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.”   Before talking about someone, I go and talk to that person.  That’s pretty simple.

 

John 16: 23 b, 33  I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. . . 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  The world is full of trouble. We can go to the Father in Jesus’ name.  He has overcome the world and its sin when He died on the cross and rose again!  He will listen and answer.

 

I confess to worry at times.  I do worry about personal issues and I do worry about church issues and I do worry about people issues.  Jesus is saying that He has some simple solutions for our complicated worries.  When we talk directly to God and to others as our first line of communication we often do away with life’s complexities before they happen.  You see, God wants what is best for His people.  God wants His people to live together in love.  And, Our Heavenly Father answers prayer.

 

A Child of God, Trying to Live in the Simple Wisdom of God,

Pastor Jonathan

 
P.S.  Here are some pictures of that fishing trip on February 2 with Henry.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/IceFishingWithHenry222015

 

P.P. S.  These recent fishing pictures have had additions in the last week.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/FishingSummer2015

 


 

 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am always adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment