Friday, February 12, 2016

A Little Child HAS Led Us


Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I was blessed during worship last Sunday in a manner I had not previously experienced.  After the sermon and communion preparation were completed in the worship service, I was kneeling at the altar.  I received the Lord’s Supper from our Elder, John Lee.  Then the acolyte followed with the basket for me to place my cup there.  As I laid my cup in the basket Brooke Lehman leaned over said quietly said to me, “God bless you always, Pastor!”

 

People have blessed me before in many ways.  But for a third grade girl, who was not being prompted, to give me such a heart-felt blessing in the middle of worship, I was touched.

 

I shared my feelings about Brooke’s blessing in an e-mail message with her mom, Kelly, and then I told my wife.  Kathy shared with me, “I went into the sacristy after worship to thank Brooke and Kelly too.  As (our grandson) Henry was placing his communion cup in the basket, Brooke told him, ‘Thank you, Henry!’”

 

I shared these stories at our men’s Promise Keepers’ gathering on Tuesday night and a number of the men said that Brooke had also thanked them at the altar.  And, all this came from Brooke after her active singing that day of our hymns and worship songs.  Brooke is usually quiet and almost a little shy when I speak with her.  But, on Sunday she bounced up and down and did hand motions to the songs she knew.  She was truly into worshiping God with her heart, soul, mind, and body.  Brooke was exhibiting joy to worship and serve her Lord, Jesus.  And, even as a child her actions were an example of faithful worship and service to the rest of us.

 

In Isaiah 11, as Isaiah describes the coming Messianic Kingdom, he shares a prophecy.   “The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. (Isaiah 11:6)  That prophecy about a child leading ultimately points to Jesus, the Son of God who came to this world as a child.  But, children can also lead as they teach the rest of us the joy of serving our Lord and Savior.

 

However, on Sunday, Brooke was not the only one who joyfully and willingly offered their service for the Lord’s work.  Karl Kopperud offered to meet and discuss some church business. When I told Gerry Zellar I had been really busy, but a lot was left to be done, Gerry offered, “What can I do to help you?”  Al Kastar offered to reach out to a father in need.  And, Hunter Richards, without being asked, offered to lead noon Lenten worship services for those who can’t attend evening services.

 

I share this because we sometimes struggle with joyfully serving the Lord.  Maybe our schedules are busy.  Maybe we have been hurt by a fellow church member or by a congregation.  Maybe we are angry at God about a life tragedy.  Or, maybe we want to be served, rather than to serve.  But sometimes all people, even Christians, can have issues with giving of our voices and efforts and our time to serve the Lord.  We can especially resist serving joyfully.

 

One of my favorite worship Psalms is Psalm 100.  Listen to what this Psalm says about joy and gladness.  “1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. 2 Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. 3 Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. 5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”

 

God is good.  His love does endure forever in Jesus’ perfect life, in Jesus’ death for us, and in the victory of Jesus over death.  When we realize all that God has done and continues to do to bless us, we really do want to serve Him and worship Him.  And when the grace and mercy of God catches us, our worship and service are a response that the Psalm calls for, glad and joyful.

 

It is such a blessing to know the love of God and to joyfully serve Him in His church.  And, last Sunday a little child, and many of our fellow brothers and sisters, led us and taught us to “Worship the LORD with gladness!”

 

A Child of God, Learning Joy again from the Little Children,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Here are two fishing pictures from my Monday ice fishing trip this past week.  https://picasaweb.google.com/114993745799525883148/IceFishingWinter20152016#6249170923405400930

            and


 

****

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

****

 

No comments:

Post a Comment