Friday, April 21, 2017

Comforted by Jesus' Love in Thomas' Time of Doubt


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

On April 23, the Sunday after Easter, the traditional assigned Gospel lesson for St. John and many Christian churches is John 20:19-31.  Many know this Scripture lesson as the story of “Doubting Thomas.”  However, the older I get the more I dislike that title for this disciple of Jesus. Yes, Thomas doubted Jesus’ resurrection. But often this term is used in a way that speaks critically of this man of faith.  There is so much more to this event in Thomas’ life.

 

As a man of faith myself, who has experienced life for over 60 years, I have learned that most of us have doubts from time to time.  We have questions.  Especially in the middle of times of trouble we wonder where God is in our lives.

 

Thomas had actually been a man of bold faith among the disciples.  In John 11, before Jesus travels to raise and heal Lazarus, Jesus tells his disciples of Lazarus’ death.  Jesus also lets them know he is going back to Bethany, near Jerusalem, where Lazarus lived.  The other disciples wonder why Jesus would return to this area after the religious leaders of the day had recently tried to kill him.  But Thomas speaks up in courage, and encourages the others to follow Jesus.  "Let us also go, that we may die with him." (John 11:16)  Thomas trusted Jesus enough to believe Jesus was worth dying for.  Thomas showed real faith and courage!

 

However, Thomas’ faith was rocked to the core of His being when he saw Jesus arrested, and when he saw Jesus tried unjustly, and when he saw Jesus brutally executed on the cross.  This man, Jesus, whom Thomas followed and trusted to be the Son of God and promised Messiah was dead!  How can God die?  How can we follow a dead man?  No wonder Thomas doubted.  The other disciples doubted too before Jesus appeared alive to them.  Thomas simply was not with the other disciples when Jesus appeared and showed them His victory over death and sin and Satan.  So we have the account of Thomas’ famous declaration,  "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."  (John 20:25)

 

The older I get, and the more trials I have faced, the more I understand this man we call “Doubting Thomas.”  As I live my own life, and as I help others as pastor, I sympathize with this man in his loss.  I have faced trials, and helped others face failure and loss and pain.  Doubt and questions are natural.  But, I also know that doubt today can be the seed of stronger faith tomorrow.  When we go through loss and trouble and doubt, and when we then see the hand of God for our trials, we are strengthened to know God’s love more deeply. 

 

I am encouraged that Jesus also seemed to understand Thomas and treated him personally and gently.  Thomas had told the other disciples that he could not believe Jesus was alive until he saw Jesus himself.  So, when Jesus appears to the disciples again, this time while Thomas is present, Jesus speaks these words to Thomas.  "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

 

Jesus understood Thomas’ hurt and grief.  Jesus heard Thomas doubt.  Jesus cares for this disciple.  So, Jesus appears to Thomas personally and, instead of scolding him, Jesus calls Thomas back to faith.  "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."  (John 20:27)

 

Please notice that Thomas responded with a declaration of faith that is one we can seek to imitate.  "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28)  Thomas not only trusted that Jesus is ruler and creator.  Thomas declares that Jesus is his Lord.  Jesus is His God!

 

If you face loss and pain and trial, if you fail as you seek to follow Jesus, please know that Jesus cares for you just as He cared for Thomas and loved Him.  That is why Jesus died on the cross, because He loves you in the midst of your struggles.  Don’t be ashamed of your doubt, but turn to God and seek His love.  He is there to help you through the trials you face so that you are even stronger in living for Him the next time you are tested.

 

Jesus told Thomas, Stop doubting and believe."    What Jesus didn’t say, but did demonstrate in His actions was “Thomas, I am with you, and I love you.”  I pray that seeing Jesus’ love and presence for Thomas, even in his moment of doubt, can give each of us assurance when life stops us in our tracks

 

A Child of God, Comforted by Jesus’ Love in Thomas’ Time of Doubt,

Pastor Rockey

 

P.S.    We had a blessed Holy Week at St. John.  Here are some pictures of Holy Week Activities


 


 

  • Some of our Easter Musicians. https://goo.gl/photos/WLF9FkYm3pWNMzvC7

 

P.P.S. I did go fishing Monday. This was probably my last ice fishing outing of this season.  Here are some pictures from a fishing trip on April 17 with Kym Miller. 







 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you don’t want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment