Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Learning God's Love Through the Trials of Life . . . And Fishing!


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,



Recently my fishing adventures have been more fishing than catching.  I have been on four trips this year seeking to catch a king salmon, but so far neither I nor anyone in my boat have caught one king.  I might not even have had a bite!  Perhaps a series of texts between my wife, and I capture fishing so far this year.  Kathy sent me a text message on June 5 asking for a “Fishing Update?”  My first set of messages read, “Cold, rainy, windy, flat tire, No Fish.” 



That message was sent after the trip I took to the Deska River with my daughter, Mary, and our good friend, Dave Nufer.  While fishing on that day we saw about 50 boats and watched only 4 of those boats actually catch a fish.  But, we were not among the four boats doing the catching.  Some people have asked me, “Why would you want to sit in the cold and wind and rain for hours not catching any fish?”  In fact, Kathy herself replied to my text with her own, “Not fun!”



I can understand that there are people who might not have enjoyed that trip.  However, the reply I sent to Kathy had a different tone. “Had fun; Laughed a lot; Helped a family that was stuck; Left boat at Diversified for new tires and bearing grease.”



We didn’t have to catch fish to have fun.  Actually, even on that cold, windy, rainy day we enjoyed the outdoors.  We saw wildlife.  We helped some others.  We enjoyed one another’s company and we laughed A LOT.  There is a reason my hobby is called “fishing” and not “catching.”  But, if you can learn and enjoy from the fishing part of this exercise, then any fish caught are a bonus, and those fish can even be seen as a gift from God.  If you can enjoy the journey, then the destination might even be more sweet.



In a way fishing can be a picture of our Christian life.  At first being a child of God sounds like an easy choice, a “no-brainer.”  The All-Powerful Lord and Creator of the World loves us.  He sent His Son to pay the price for our sin so that, by believing in Jesus, we might live with Him in heaven, eternally.  God calls us to follow Jesus through a life of faith, and obedience, and love.  What can go wrong when we follow the All Powerful God who loves us enough to die for us?  What can go wrong when our end is heaven?



But, even though God loves us (John 3:16-17, 1 John 4:7-10), and even though Jesus has “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18), following Jesus can be a difficult journey.  Time and again Jesus warns and teaches His disciples that when we follow Him we will face trials like he faced.  Consider the words of Jesus in John 16:33, I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." 



Or, consider also the experience and teaching of St. Paul in 2 Corinthians 1:3-5.  “3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.  The life of a Christian is not just eternal life in heaven.  The journey to heaven goes through the wilderness of this world, a wilderness that is full of failure, pain, and loss.  (See also Romans 5:1-5, 2 Corinthians 2:8-10, etc.)  Just like people ask me about fishing, some have asked about following Jesus, “Why would anyone want the trouble?”



Actually, the answer to why one would follow Jesus can take a lifetime to explain.  But, at the risk of oversimplifying the answer, I would tell you three reasons to follow our Lord in faith, in obedience, and in love.  First, life is full of difficulty whether one follows Jesus or not.  Don’t you want the God who loves you to be with you through the trials of life?  Second, the end of the journey is worth the trials we face.  Knowing that Jesus has “overcome the world” and has heaven waiting, makes it worthwhile to endure the troubles of following Jesus.  Finally, and practically, in this world, there are lessons to be learned and joys to be experienced even in life’s trials.  So, I follow Jesus trusting Him to teach me, to forgive me, and to save me.  I pray you will do the same.



On June 5th, though we did not catch any fish, we did spend time with good friends and family.  That in itself is worthwhile.  We were able to share God’s love by helping a family in need.  And, I did prepare my boat for more adventures by getting new tires, AND new bearings on my trailer.  Maybe we will catch a king salmon later this year.  When you can enjoy and learn from the journey, then the destination is even more sweet!



A Child of God, Learning God’s Love Through the Trials of Life . . . and Fishing,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here are some pictures from our Family Camp held at Eklutna Lake Camp, June 16-18.  https://goo.gl/photos/YFgsTB7evXQdsauP6



******



ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.





******

No comments:

Post a Comment