Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Praying that I Respond Faithfully to God's Goodness and Grace

Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

Recently, after going to the post office, I arrived at home and started looking at that day’s mail in the presence of my wife.  I spoke out loud as I perused what we had received.  “Request for money, Request for money, Request for money, Request for money, Request for money, Request for money.  Hmmm, offer to spend.”  I had 6 letters asking for donations, and one credit card offer.  In fact, I had two requests from one place in the same day!  Does that sound familiar?

 

Actually, I’m thankful to live in a country where not all good causes are paid for by my taxes.  The government doesn’t just take all my money and dole it out to what it considers to be worthwhile causes.  We have the privilege of deciding what needs we want to help alleviate, and which ministries we want to support.  But I confess, sometimes when the mail comes I wonder.

 

Do you ever feel that way about God’s church?  Does it ever seem to you like the church is always asking for money?  As pastor I get all sorts of advice concering financial issues.  I’ve been told by more than one person, “Pastor, you don’t talk about giving enough.”  Others tell me, “You talk about money too much!”  As you can see, finances are always a sensitive topic. 

 

As I read through the Bible again in my daily devotions, a September reading from 1 Chronicles 29 really struck me.  David was gathering resources so his son, Solomon, could build a temple for the Lord.  David contributed personally to the temple project and then he gave an opportunity for others to respond.  This is part of what we are told.

 

6 Then the leaders of families, . . . gave willingly. 7 They gave . . . gold, . . . silver,  . . . bronze and . . . iron. 8 Any who had precious stones gave them to the treasury of the temple of the LORD . . .

9 The people rejoiced at the willing response of their leaders, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly to the LORD. David the king also rejoiced greatly. 10 David praised the LORD in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, "Praise be to you, O LORD, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. 11 Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. 12 Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. 13 Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.  (1 Chronicles 29:6-13)

 

The leaders and the people of David’s day “gave willingly” and "wholeheartedly."  David not only gave, but acknowledged that “everything in heaven and earth” is really God’s!  (v. 11)  This was one of the few moments of clarity in the history of Israel.  On this day David and the people confessed that all they had belonged to the Lord.  In faith, they responded to the God’s love and returned generously what He had given. 

 

But, even more than the surprisingly faithful giving, do you hear the praise of God by both the people and by David?  Why do you think they praised God?  Acknowledging God, rather than taking credit ourselves, is rare. And, generosity is not always a natural reaction.  So, on this day of willing generosity, David and the people praised the Lord.

 

This Sunday at St. John we have an opportunity to think about the grace and provision of God, and to consider our response.  We will consider how God provides us with all we need to live  and more - our "cup overflows.”  (Psalm 23)  We will meditate on how God is gracious to sinful people like us, in Jesus. As Paul writes, For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.” (2 Corinthians 8:9)  God’s goodness and His grace to us in Jesus does not make sense.  But God IS gracious and loving.  God’s goodness and grace call for praise, for a response.

 

I pray that all God’s people are aware of His goodness in our lives and His grace in Jesus.  I pray that we willingly and wholeheartedly want to respond and contribute to His work, both in our local congregations, and for His work around the world.

 

Let me share with you about that mail which I recently received, the letters asking for donations.  All the requests I received were from places where I had already contributed.  In fact, the ministry which sent two letters on the same day, Lutheran Hour Ministries, is one of my favorite places to give.  It seems the more we give, the more we are asked.  But, when God’s people recognize His goodness and grace and respond willingly, it is reason to praise God.

 

A Child of God, Praying that I Respond Faithfully to God’s Goodness and Grace,

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Pastor Aaron Spratt was commissioned in Anchorage on Saturday, October 14, to be pastor at Faith Lutheran Church in Juneau, and Missionary to SE AK for the Alaska Mission for Christ.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/zRlBQ7AXFIzu13742

 

 
******

 

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

No comments:

Post a Comment