Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A Goal for My Life - Recieving and Giving an Example of Faith


Dear Members and Friends of St. John,

 

What goals do you have for your life?  Often when asked that question we may think of big things.  Athletes may want to win championships.  Leaders may want to see great accomplishments for those they lead.  Perhaps pastors think of large growing churches.

 

However, my wife, Kathy, a very wise woman, has been known to tell other nurses,  “A lot of people can be a nurse, but I’m the only one who can be my husband’s wife.  I am the only one who can be my children’s mother.”  So, as you look at your life goals, how are you doing in your relationships with those closest to you?

 

I ask this question because I was reviewing some things I learned at my dad’s death.  Actually, when my dad died last August, I learned some things I had never heard, or realized.  I learned he had served in every position of leadership at his church, First Lutheran in Gainesville, FL.  Yes he had been president, vice-president, treasurer, financial secretary, elder, trustee, etc.  I hadn’t realized he had also served as Sunday School Superintendent.  In addition, my dad’s financial advisor told my siblings and me a story about a conversation he had with my dad about his estate.  None of us had ever heard that story before.  Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.  After my mom passed, and after Kathy’s mom passed, in both cases we learned things we had not previously known.  We learned of struggles.  We learned of perseverance.  We learned of faith.

 

Last November I was in FL to visit family and take care of business after my dad’s death.  While there I attended a concert with Pastor Bob and Elaine Besalski.  Bob was pastor of First Lutheran in 1965 when our family moved from Massachusetts to Gainesville, FL.  In many ways Bob is still our family pastor, and my pastor.  As we were at the concert a man came over and talked with us because he knew Bob.  His name was Daryl Pring.  As we visited Daryl shared a story about my dad I had never heard.

 

Daryl told me that one night, when he was serving as an Elder at First Lutheran with my dad, they had an especially long and difficult meeting.  They made it through the meeting and my dad told the other elders, “This was a tough one.  I think we need to spend time together.  Let’s go to (a local restaurant) and I’ll buy everyone a beer.”  Daryl said everyone went and it was an important bonding time for these men who were dealing with difficult spiritual and congregational issues, simply as committed volunteers.  I had never heard that story of struggle, of perseverance, and faith about my dad.

 

Back to my opening question.  “What goals do you have for your life?”  Looking back I know that I have been blessed by the faith and the example of my parents and grandparents, blessed in a way that no money could buy.  I also know that what my wife says is true, “A lot of people can serve as a pastor, but I’m the only one who can be my wife’s husband.  I am the only one who can be my children’s dad, my grandchildren’s paternal grandfather.”  Even more than accomplishing what others may think are great accomplishments, my goal is that I want to give an example of facing struggle, of persevering, an example of faith in Jesus to my family.

 

In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul, a founder of the church in Corinth and spiritual father, wrote to the people, Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”  Peter wrote to the Christians of the dispersion and encouraged them in their trials, “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.”  (1 Peter 2:21)  In both of these churches, the believers were asked to look to others’ as examples of Christian faith and living.  They are especially called to look at the example of the love, at the sacrifice, and the suffering of Jesus.  These Christians are then called to follow these examples.

 

But, perhaps the writer of the Hebrews says best how we benefit from the example of faith and perseverance of others, especially Jesus.  “1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  (Hebrews 12:1-3) After writing in chapter 11 about the faith of God’s Old Testament people, the writer calls the believers to whom he is writing to follow their example of faith and perseverance.  As they face persecution and trials, He especially points to Jesus, and encourages them not to lose heart, but to believe and persevere.  Examples of faith make a difference in the lives of those who witness this faith!

 

I pray regularly that my children and grandchildren know and believe in the saving love of Jesus.  I pray that they follow Him in their personal and professional lives.  So, “What goals do I have for my life?”  I continue to hope to leave my children and grandchildren an example of perseverance in times of struggle, and an example of not only believing in Jesus, but living my faith.

 

“What goals do you have for your life?” 

 

A Child of God, Thankful for Examples of Faithful Perseverance from Those who Loved Me!

Pastor Jonathan   

 

P.S.  the St. John Evangelism Board met on February 3.  Here is a picture of the Evangelism Board this year.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/as8uuctCVknYBu9a6

 

P.P.S.  On Monday, February 4, I went fishing with Gerry Zellar.  We caught 9 rainbow trout and kept 5.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p779zrnvG7tQFGucA

 

 

******

 

ABOUT ‘THOUGHTS FROM THE PASTOR’ -   I am sending these e-mail messages, hopefully weekly, to all St. John members and friends whose e-mails I have.  (I am regularly adding new names of friends and members – in case you are just receiving this e-mail for the first time.)  However, if you do not want to receive this e-mail, please let me know, and I’ll gladly leave your name off my list for this message.

 

******

 

No comments:

Post a Comment