Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Thankful that God is in the Time, and in the Times, of My Life


Dear Friends and Fellow Children of God,

In recent months I have been led to consider the time, or even the timing, of life.  I guess retirement can cause a person to think about the span of life.  Interestingly, we are not the only ones with thoughts about our own lives.  For a number of years before my wife and I transitioned, a number of people asked us the question, “Aren’t you ready to retire?” The number of our years had increased.  And, in Alaska, those who worked for the state have had generous opportunities for early retirement.  With that background I answered the retirement question many times over the last 4 or 5 years.  But of course, once Kathy and I did make our decisions about new directions, and once retirement dates were set, many others had different opinions to share with us.  Quite a few folks told me. “You’re too young to retire.”  What is the right time, or the right timing, in life?



However, recent events have me thinking about these issues even more.  Last March, when visiting family in Florida, Kathy and I enjoyed supper with our niece, Sarah, and her mom, Jan Rockey.  Jan was excited because she was in her 42nd year of working for the University of Florida.  She had been to a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Class, and she had paid off her home.  Jan’s retirement date, as she would turn 62, was in October.  She was excited for some new opportunities and new direction in her life.  Of course, with 3 daughters and 5 grandchildren, Jan had all sorts of plans. 



But, in September we heard from my sister that Jan was not doing well.  When we arrived in Florida on October 7 the word was that Jan might have cancer.  Kathy made a friendly visit as a nurse / sister-in-law to Jan on Thursday, October 10.  Jan was very weak.  On Monday, October 14, Sarah called Kathy to come to Jan’s home because she was in worse condition.  An ambulance took Jan to the hospital.  On Wednesday, October 16, Jan was placed in a hospice facility.  And, on Friday evening, with family at her bedside, Jan passed away.



Such an unexpected death causes a person to think about the time, or the timing, of life.  Jan was only 62 years old!  In March she had been excited about the future.  And then, seven months later, in the month when she was to retire, Jan passed away.  No wonder Job prays, “Remember, O God, that my life is but a breath;” (Job 7: 7)



Of course, as I write this devotion, life has given me another reason to consider this topic of life’s time, or timing.  Kathy and I are driving to the reunion of the 40th year of my graduation from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis; 40 YEARS!  It seems like just yesterday that I was sitting in class at the seminary, or that I was learning lessons from my supervisor on my vicarage – my internship, in Detroit.  It seems so recent that we spent time in St. Louis working with the dear people of St. Paul Lutheran Church and School.  Those 8 years in Jacksonville, FL, when we served with God’s people of Our Redeemer Lutheran, when God worked in our midst to build a new church on a new site, and when we worked to start a mission congregation in Georgia, seem like yesterday.  And, 28 + years at St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer went by in a flash!  We raised 4 children.  God blessed us with 6 grandchildren.  We worked with the people of God at St. John to bring the Good News of Jesus to the Mat-Su community.  David’s words in Psalm 39 are like the words of Job.  4 "Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. 5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Selah 6 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. 7 "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. 8 Save me from all my transgressions;” (Psalm 39:4-7a) 



But, just because life goes by quickly, that doesn’t make the passing of time bad news.  This world is full of evil, and full of things that pass away, but since God’s love gives grace today and gives grace eternally, our hope IS in God!  Since life speeds by so quickly, every day is precious.  Every day is an opportunity to spend time with loved ones.  Every day we have the privilege of serving the Creator and Ruler of the Universe.  Every day we can live in the grace of God’s love in this world, and we can know even more how precious is the eternal life God offers in heaven through the life and death and resurrection of His Son, our Savior, Jesus.



So, the words of God in Psalm 90 strike a chord for me!  12 TEACH US to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)  It takes wisdom from God to have the right attitude about life’s time, and about life’ timing.  People can waste the time of life with meaningless activities, or even in sinful pursuits.  (You can figure out what those activities might be on your own.)  Or, we can use the gift of time each day to love our families and friends, and to share the love of God.  We can use the gift of the time of our lives to make a difference in the world.



Jan died at the early age of 62.  But, my dad lived to almost 91 years.  Maybe I have another 25 or 30 years to love my family, to tell people about Jesus, and to cause my wife to shake her head, and then send me fishing.  J



Yes, Lord! 12 Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”



A Child of God, Thankful that God has His Hand in the Time, and in the Timing, of My Life,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here is a picture of Jan and her daughters. https://photos.app.goo.gl/CaBuszRTYJWyo7Ct7



P.P.S.  I am learning better the art of fishing in Florida. 

·       On Friday, October 18, I had 5 or 6 bites, and caught a bass which fed us that night.  That was my first bass caught this Fall. 

·       Then on Monday, October 21, I went fishing with my sister’s husband, Mark.  That was the best fishing trip I have ever had in Florida.  I think we both caught between 10-20 fish.  We kept 4 nice bass. 

·       And, I learned a lesson . . . AGAIN!  (Put the plug in the boat before you put the boat in the water!)

·       Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/xyEtAPjPqwUc1erb9





******



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION – I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  This devotion was previously titled, “Thoughts from the Pastor.”  However, with life’s changes I will now call it, “Journeys Through Life as a Child of God.”  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  You can also view this message on my Facebook page.



******






No comments:

Post a Comment