Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Do You Worry, or Pray? The Devil Fears Christians Who Pray!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Do you worry?  Are there things in life that are going in a direction you don’t like, which concern you?  Are there troubles in your life which rob your sleep?  Do you fear for the future? 

 

In truth, God tells not to worry.  In The Sermon on the Mount Jesus himself instruct God’s children, saying, 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” In other words, Jesus teaches us: Don’t worry – Trust God’s providing love.

 

Yet, even knowing the word of God, I confess that I still worry.  There are things that trouble me and which I would like to fix.  For example, I worry at times for my family.  I hope the best in faith and life for my children and grandchildren.  But, we live in a sinful world.  Life has real challenges and temptations.  When the lives of those I love takes turns which possibly endanger their welfare or their faith, I am concerned.  Will my children and grandchildren be ok?  What kind of world are my grandchildren inheriting?  Will they remain strong in their faith in Jesus, show that faith in their lives?  Will they pass Jesus’ saving love on to their children?

 

I admit that I worry about my country. Obviously, each generation has a different view on the world around us. But, when I grew up there was a value placed on individual freedom for law abiding citizens. We expected integrity from our leaders. While no specific denomination was pushed, because our constitution says that the government does not establish religion, nonetheless the country acknowledged the existence and importance of God.  Such witness is made in our founding documents. So, when I see our country lean toward more governmental control rather than personal initiative and freedom, that worries me. When our nation turns from the Lord, turn from his authority to direct our lives and to give us strength, that concerns me. 

 

In addition, I am concerned for the Christian Church.  There are challenges from within and from without facing God’s people today, challenges we have not faced in our lifetime.  God calls His people to be faithful.  But, it seems only too easy today to turn from the truth of God’s Word.  We pray for the blessing of quiet and peaceful lives so that we can serve God in all we do.  But, if you read the news, the world around us is turning away from the Lord, turning to violence and to the desires of the flesh.  This requires sacrifice from God’s Church to witness to Jesus’ saving love.  And, even though Jesus sacrificed for us, sacrifice on our part is always difficult.  I am concerned for God’s Church.

 

Do you worry?  Perhaps it is more important to ask, what do you do when you worry?  In Philippians 4 God inspired Paul to write these words about worry, but also about prayer. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:6-7)  This practical direction for the Christian life can be summarized: “Don’t worry – PRAY!  Go to God with your concerns.  God gives peace in place of your worry.

 

On Tuesday, June 1, one of the readings in my devotions was from 1 Timothy 2:1-8. Please listen to God’s word from verses 1-3 with me.  1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior”  God calls us to pray for EVERYONE.  Yes, we pray for our leaders.  But, we are first instructed to pray for all people.  Prayer brings God into our lives, into all our concerns and troubles.  Prayer helps us to acknowledge that God is Lord, even and especially in times of concern.

 

Therefore, please listen to what Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in a time of trial for the church of his day, wrote in my Tuesday devotion in response to 1 Timothy 2.  “The Church recognizes itself in prayer as an instrument of His (God’s) will, and organizes itself accordingly in active obedience.  This provides the church with its chief impulse; the devil fears a roof of thatch beneath which the church is at prayer more than he does a splendid church in which many masses are celebrated.” (The Communion of Saints – “For All the Saints” page 52.)  Wow!  The devil fears Christians who pray!  I believe that.

 

Do you worry?  Even though we know we should not worry, even though we know that worry is a form of doubt, we all commit this sin in our weakness.  But, God who loved us enough to send Jesus to live for us and to die for our sins, this God loves us each and every day.  He listens to and He answers our prayers.  Our Lord hears our concerns and acts in love and in wisdom.  In fact, prayer is a powerful weapon in our on-going battle with Satan.

 

I have a long prayer list, which is constantly changing.  I work to begin each day in Bible reading and in prayer.  I take seriously the call of God, “ . . . that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone”  I hope that you also know the gift and blessing of prayer to bring God into your life.  And I pray that you give Him your worries and concerns. 

 

A Child of God, Turning the Concerns of my Heart Over to The Love and The Power of God,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  St. John will again be hosting the Colony Days Picnic on Saturday, June 12, preceded by an entry in the Colony Days Parade. 

            This even will be different this year because of COVID.  We are only serving hot dogs, only serving individual bags of chips, individual condiments, and individual water.  We are aalso serving ice cream.  Our music will not be available because of COVID.

            But, we will be inviting folks at the picnic to join us for worship, and offering to pray with those who attend.  This is an opportunity for growth as we serve our community and share Jesus’ love.  Come and join us in this growth and service!  J

 

P.P.S.  The rumor is that . . . on the Sunday after the picnic St. John plans outdoor worship!

 

P.P.P.S.  My boat has been in the shop, so I have not been fishing in the Mat-Su.  But, I do keep working on our garden. We picked volunteer spinach this week, re-seeded from last year’s crop.  All my vegetables are now planted.  There is still some weeding to do on one flower garden and on the raspberries, but now it is time to let the Lord give growth.  Here are some new pictures from this past week.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/X34yy15BurAUXPGF8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment