Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Focusing on the Saving Love of God Through the Trials of Life

 

Dear Fellow Children of God, 

 

For many years, when the Alaska pastors from our Lutheran tradition would gather, we would spend time sharing.  Our practice was that we each shared a high and a low in our lives at that time.  Then we would pray for each other.  In this way we worked to keep connected and to encourage each other in life and in faith and in ministry of our Lord.  However, while this was mostly a good idea, there was a drawback.  Some ministries were smaller, or more difficult.  When some pastors shared month after month of how well things seemed to be going in their congregations and in their lives, others felt that they only had struggles to share.  In fact, this became a problem for some of the pastors.  The truth is that we all have struggles in this sinful world.  We all experience good times and bad times.  Yet, it can seem that life is somehow easier for some.  Those who may face more trials and difficulties can be discouraged.

 

I have written these weekly devotions now for more than 13 years.  In sharing the truths of God, as I seek to share His love in my life, I have told stories that often come from my own experience.  I have chosen to share mainly the blessings I experience.  However, I understand that people can read my devotions and think everything in my life is good and easy.  Please let me assure you, EVERYONE goes through struggles, serious struggles.  I am a sinful person in a sinful world.  I need a savior.  I need Jesus, as we all do.  No one is immune to the struggles of life. 

 

On Sunday, August 1, in our weekly adult Bible class, we studied about Daniel.  We looked at the first seven chapters of this book and considered Daniel’s life.  This prophet faced temptations to deny faithful religious eating practices.  He was threatened with death by the king.  Daniel and his companions were confronted with the demand to worship an idol.  Daniel had to bring bad news to King Nebuchadnezzar, and to his son, Belshazzar.  Ultimately, Daniel was even thrown into a den full of lions.  Considering all the challenges, all the dangers, all the struggles that Daniel faced, our class discussed that life as a child God is not easy.  Somehow, people can think that following the Lord, that being a child of God, will mean everything will go well in our lives, all the time.  The truth is that, throughout time, followers of the Lord have faced the same struggles, losses, temptations, and disappointments others face.  In fact, living as a child of God can even make someone a target for ridicule and persecution. 

 

In Acts 14, as Paul and Barnabas traveled through the cities of Lystra, Ionium, and Antioch, we are told in verse 22 that they were, “strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. ‘We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,’ they said.”  ‘Hardships’ are part of life as a Christian.

 

In Romans 5 we read some words that might surprise us about the blessings and struggles of the Christian life of faith.  1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”  (Romans 5:1-5)  We may stand in the grace of God, in the undeserved love of God, through faith in Jesus, but we face sufferings.  Nevertheless, God assures us He can use these sufferings, these hardships, to strengthen us.

 

Our world is broken because it is in rebellion against its Creator and Lord.  We should not be surprised when trouble arises.  As in the life of Daniel, we should not be surprised at suffering.  As Paul said, We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,’  Thankfully, through the trials of life we have our Lord and Savior beside us, strengthening, directing, forgiving, and saving.  When we look at Jesus and His love, we can endure the trials of this life, rejoicing in God’s saving love.

 

When I share with you the love of God in my life, seeking to strengthen and encourage, I do so focusing on the Lord, His love and His grace.  Yes, I am blessed.  We are blessed, no matter the trials.  We are blessed as we live trusting God and His eternal, saving love for us in Jesus.

 

A Child of God, Focusing on the Saving Love of God Through the Trials of Life,

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  We had some family time at the cabin July 26-29.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DL4VPh9hKxmvT3Zp7

 

P.P.S.  On Saturday, July 31, Sandy Kolberg and Caleb Hyldahl were married at St. John.  Here is a picture of the newly married couple.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PC5E8RdcKmsPUuWf9

 

P.P.P.S.  – I had a number of fishing trips during the last week.

·       Here are some pictures of our family fishing for red salmon on the Kenai River on Tuesday, July 27.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/rB8E983W1rDXeXob8

 

·       Here are a couple of pictures of my fishing trip on Thursday, July 29.  (Mary and I fished on July 28 and saw a LOT of fish, but did not land one legally.  L ) https://photos.app.goo.gl/9oYoP2qnW97UvUZYA

 

·       On Monday, August 2, a large group of St. John folk went fishing in my boat on the Little Susitna River.  Sara Guhl and grandson Gaelen Swigart, Mary Rockey and Alexis Barfield, Jake Colberg, and I went fishing.  We caught 9 salmon, 5 silvers, 2 chum, and 2 pinks.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtKuaSq16ddCYBdRA

 

*****

 

            ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.) 

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

cell phone - 907-841-4066

Home phone - 907-746-5131

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment