Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Thankful to the Lord for My Faithful and Loving Christian Wife

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Last week a friend of mine, Rev. Dr. Jerry Kieschnick, posted a humorous and timely blog.  I don’t remember the anniversary date for Jerry and Terry.  But Kathy and I celebrate 45 years of marriage on Saturday, August 20.  Jerry wrote,

A long-time friend of mine sent this to me last year. Source unknown.

A group of women were at a seminar on how to live in a loving relationship with their husbands. The women were asked, "How many of you love your husband?" All the women raised their hands.

Then they were asked, "When was the last time you told your husband you loved him?" Some women said “Today.” A few said, “Yesterday.” Some couldn't remember how long ago they had spoken those words.  

The women were then told to take out their cell phones and text their husbands:  "I love you, Sweetheart."  Next, the women were instructed to exchange phones with each other and read aloud the text messages they had received in response to their love notes. Below are some of their replies:

1. Who the heck is this?  

2. Uh, mother of my children, are you sick or what?  

3. Thanks. I love you, too. What's wrong?  

4. What now? Did you wreck the car again?  

5. Don't beat around the bush; just tell me how much you need. 

6. Am I dreaming?  

7. I thought we agreed you wouldn't drink during the day.  

8. Your mother is coming to stay with us next week, isn't she?

The moral of this story is not to let the words “I love you, Sweetheart!” be used so rarely that they cause the person who hears them to wonder what’s really motivating the person who speaks them.

I love you, Sweetheart!

 

Perhaps you laughed at this writing as I did.  But, I have recently run across a number of devotional writing on the gift of a Christian wife.  Roland Bainton, noted Luther scholar, wrote about Katherine Von Bora, the wife of Martin Luther.  “She presided over the first well-known Protestant parsonage and did much to give the tone to German domestic life – authoritarian, parternalistic, with no nonsense, and at the same time tenderly affectionate and marked by utter devotion. . . Luther was fond of the saying: ‘Let the wife make her husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.’” (For All the Saints, Volume IV, page 303)  Katie was a blessing to the great Reformer, Martin Luther.  I feel many blessings in my own ‘Kathy/Katie.’

 

When I look at 45 years of marriage, I am overwhelmed by the blessings Kathy has brought into my life, personally. Let me quote to you from Proverbs 31.  “10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. . . 29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.  In the past I have preached on Proverbs 31 on Mother’s Day. but then I discontinued doing so.  In many ways Proverbs 31 describes a “super-woman.”  I know that all of Proverbs 31 is not necessarily true of every wife or mother.  They have their own gifts and talents.  Yet, I do feel like the words of this Proverb actually describe my wife, Kathy.  I know that I am truly blessed!

 

A faithful and loving Christian spouse is one of the very greatest gifts a person can receive in this life.  I thank the Lord above that He has so blessed me with Katherine Isabelle Tobin Rockey, and for the joys and challenges of 45 years of marriage.  What a gift I have!  Thank you, Lord!

 

I do love you, Sweatheart!

 

A Child of God, Thankful For My Loving Christian Wife!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  Kathy and my big plan for August 20 is to go out to eat in the evening, and to buy new . . . non-stick frying pans.  J  We must have been married a LONG time.  (Actually our cruise in June in the British Isles was our anniversary celebration.) Then, on Sunday evening the whole family is coming over to celebrate. 

 

P.P.S.  Silvers are in.  I recently took some family and friends fishing.

·       On Wednesday. August 10, Kym Miller and Gaelen Swigart went fishing with me.  We caught lots of pinks and chum.  Kym caught 2 silvers.  Here are the pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zxqKUtx9pdG2zuVz6

·       On Saturday, August 13, I took my daughter, Mary, my son, Tim, and Tim’s girlfriend, Megan, fishing.  Megan had been fishing before, but never previously caught a salmon on a pole.  However, she was the champion fisherperson on this day.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/nds1TAtTjH4Ug3zB7

·       On Monday, August 15, after a long weekend preaching on the Kenai, Gerry Zellar and I went fishing on the Little Susitna.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/wjJsxXHdbxDPi48t7

 

P.P.P.S. I refrained from quoting all of Proverbs 31:10-31.  I do believe God has indeed blessed me through Kathy as this proverb states.  I feel this proverbs echos MY blessings. Here are God’s words in Proverbs 31:10-31. 

 

10  A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

 11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

 12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

 13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.

 14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

 15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

 16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

 17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.

 18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.

 19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

 20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.

 21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

 22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

 23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

 24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.

 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

 26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

 27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

 29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

 

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net



1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1a)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment