Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Seeking God's Best for My Country . . . and Trying to LIVE It!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I am thankful that the 2022 election cycle is over. I am thankful that I no longer need to watch or listen to commercials telling how bad another candidate or person is.  I remember when honesty was at least expected of elected leaders and officials.  But, it does not take much to see through twisted truths in campaign advertisements throughout America. 

 

I do have a registered political party affiliation in Alaska.  But, and this is a BIG ‘but,’ I find my main identity as a child of God.  God gave me life. He has saved me and given me eternal life.  That defines who I am.  Yes, I am also a husband, a father, a pastor. In my home country I identify first as an American, before my political leaning or party affiliation.  With that in mind, in this time of electioneering and elections a question arises for me.  With our national division and name calling, how can a Christian act in order to live out our calling as a child of God?  Some Scripture verses guide my path.  Maybe you have heard these verses, but perhaps not.

 

First, God inspired King Solomon to give guidance in regard to dealing with contentious people.  7 "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. 8 Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. 9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning. 10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” (Provers 9:7-10)  In other words, if a person gets into an argument with someone who is unreasonable, that person, because of their lack of reason and wisdom, will not listen.  In fact, disputing with a person who will not listen will bring insult and abuse.  The person of reason may even be tempted to stoop to the level of the one lacking wisdom.  So, why argue?  Simply act with integrity!  Ultimately, knowing the Lord, the Creator and Savior of all, is the source of true wisdom. This gives me direction for life in this world.

 

Also, in the book of Hebrews we are told about Old Testament people of faith and the wisdom they had concerning life in this world.  13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country-- a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.” (Hebrews 11:13-16)  This world is not our final home.  Our true home is with our Heavenly Father, and comes through faith in His Son, Jesus.  We should not be surprised when life in this world gives trouble, difficulties, and challenges.  While we live in this world, we look forward to our home in heaven.

 

So, how does a child of God, a citizen of heaven, live in a world of sin, which is not really our home?  God gave the nation of Judah, instruction when they were in exile in Babylon, when they were not at home.  4 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 "’Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. 6 Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. 7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.’"  (Jeremiah 19:4-7)  In other words, rather than isolate ourselves from the world around us, God’s people still work to make our communities better places.  Of course, there are disagreements as to what is best.  Again, I refer to Proverbs 9:10.  For me, God and His Word tell me what is best and wise for the people He created.

 

Finally, however, we are called to treat others as people whom God also created and loves. In Galatians 6:10, God instructs us, “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”  Even if we disagree with others, we can do so respectfully, with understanding, and even seeking the good of the other person.  Most likely, we will find most agreement with other Christians.  But, God’s children also have a responsibility to those who do not know Jesus.  If we live doing good to all, we make our world a better place to live, until we get to heaven.

 

This year’s election cycle is almost over.  Perhaps Jesus’ words in The Sermon on the Mount give the best direction. “. . . let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”  (Matthew 5:16)  Our lives (especially the life of Jesus) are the best advertisement there is! 

 

A Child of God, Seeking God’s Best for My Country . . .and Trying to Live It!

Pastor Jonathan

 

P.S.  From October 30 to November 5, I golfed 3 times, and fished 4 times!  I feel a little guilty.  But, that may be why I retired.  I did preach at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, Florida, on November 6. Anyway, here are some fishing pictures if you are interested.

·       On the morning of Tuesday, November 1, I went fishing with my brother in Oxford, FL, before a funeral for a friend.  We caught 4 bass.  Here are a couple of pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEqw9FjEhBnLgPgi9

 

·       On Thursday, November 3, I went fishing on the Suwannee River.  I had to be home for an appointment, but I did catch a number of fish, and kept two.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QateAUvZDUqtMxqh7

 

·       On Saturday, November 5, because of previous success on the Suwannee River, I went fishing there again, with no need to return home early.  I caught 8 or 9 fish, and kept a limit of 5.  Here are some pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fs58mJXbQaN1DyuX6

 

·       On Tuesday, November 8, (Election Day), I went fishing in a local lake. The wind was blowing and I hoped I could hide near the shore sheltering from the wind.  I fought the wind all day, but caught 10 bass, and kept a limit of 5.  Here is a picture. https://photos.app.goo.gl/w5DqVhX8zEEmyn7E7

 

 

*****

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment