Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Waiting for Jesus - Waiting for His Forgiveness, His Love, and Redemption!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

Have you heard the sarcastic prayer, “Lord, I want patience.  And I want it NOW!”?  In a way that prayer is a prayer for our times.  We all need the ability to wait, to be patient.  But, we truly lack patience!  We do NOT like to wait! I’m not sure that patience has ever been a natural inclination of human beings.  But, with the speed of our lives today, our patience seems to have grown less and less.  Microwave ovens have heated and cooked food more quickly for the last 50 years.  With cell phones we can be in touch with people instantly.  With the internet we know the news as it is happening.  Our world has gotten faster, and our patience has almost disappeared!

 

That might be one of the reasons why Advent is one of my favorite seasons of the year.  Advent looks forward to the coming of Jesus. So Advent is a time of . . . waiting.  Advent is a time of patience.

 

Do you know Psalm 130?  The older I get, the larger my list of favorite Psalms becomes.  But, Psalm 130 is one of my favorites, and it speaks what we need to hear for Advent.  Consider verses 5-8 of the Psalm. (But, at home you might want to read the whole Psalm.) “5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; 6 my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. 7 O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption. 8 And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.” Waiting is another definition of patience.  And this Psalm identifies what we wait for.  We “wait for the Lord! 

 

Sometimes we get the mistaken impression that Advent is the time of waiting for Christmas.  Advent does lead up to the celebration of the birth of Jesus.  But, today Christmas is such an extravagant holiday, that the celebration can hide the one who whose birth we celebrate.  Christmas can hide Christ.

 

Advent gives us time to consider our misplaced priorities, and time to repent.  That is how John the Baptist called people to prepare for the coming of the Savior.  Advent is a time we can grow to understand just how much we need our Lord, how much we need His wisdom, His guidance, His love, His grace, His forgiveness, and His salvation.  As take time to consider our need, then the gift of Jesus becomes more important.  We need Jesus so much that . . . He is WORTH WAITING FOR!

 

Christians have historically understood this need to wait, and yet we still forget that need in the moment.  Advent wreaths require 4 Sundays to light all the candles in order to finally arrive at the lighting of the white Christ candle.  Advent calendars have 24 doors before a person reaches the Christ door, the Christmas door.  Again, Advent is a time of waiting . . . for Jesus!

 

The Psalmist begins Psalm 130 with the expression of his need.  “Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord!”  The trials of this world lead us to realize the depths of our sin, and the heights of God’s love.  Jesus is exactly what we need, and waiting helps us to understand our need. 

 

So with the Psalmist I say from my heart, 5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; 6 my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. 7 O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption. 8 And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.”

 

A blessed Advent season of waiting for Jesus to each of you!

 

A Child of God, Waiting for Jesus – Waiting for His Forgiveness, His Love, and Redemption!

Pastor Jonathan

 

 

P.S.  Perhaps you wondered about the title on my devotion last week.  The title of my e-mail, for a while the title of my Facebook Post, and the title of my article in the Frontiersman read, “Do you Desire to Be Unique – Lie as a Christian.”  I did not want to encourage you to lie.  But, I even received a phone call from Alaska asking if I had changed my beliefs. 

Well, here’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!  My computer is growing old, and some of my computer  keys are not working well.  Others are not working at all.  Among the keys which are sticking are the “F” and the “V.” So, just because I strike the key does not mean that the letter shows in my document.  When I typed the title for the devotion, my “v” stuck.  So, my title said “Lie” instead of “Live.”  I hope you took a second look, and then perhaps you had a good laugh.  One of those who called from Alaska told me, “Don’t talk to me about a sticking F and V.”  I laughed at her scolding. 

However, if you look closely, I’m sure you might find another “typo” or two in other e-mails of mine.  J

 

ESPECIALLY FOR MEMBERS AND FRIENDS OF FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH.

 

SPECIAL HOLIDAY WORSHIP - Special Advent and Christmas worship services will be offered at First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, as follows.

·       Wednesday, December 6 - Open Arms Children’s Christmas Program at 6:00 p.m.

·       Wednesdays, December 13 and 20 – First Lutheran will use Holden Evening Prayer at 6:30 p.m. to consider the Advent theme of “Hope.”  Sermons will include a skit by First Lutheran members.

·       Sunday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Day we will celebrate Advent 4 in our regular Sunday morning service at 10:00 a.m.

·       Sunday, December 24 - Christmas Eve worship will be held primarily with children in mind at 5:00 p.m..

·       Sunday, December 24 - Christmas Eve candlelight worship will be held at 6:30 p.m..

·       Monday, December 25 – Christmas Day worship will be held at 10:00 a.m.

 

FIRST LUTHERAN CHOIR -   The First Lutheran Choir is practicing for Christmas worship on Wednesdays after Advent worship.  COME AND JOIN THE CHOIR IN LEADING FIRST LUTHERAN IN PRAISING THE LORD!

 

READ THROUGH THE SCRIPTURE? Today’s Light Bible – Pastor Rockey is inviting you to join him in reading through the Bible starting January 1, using the “Today’s Light Bible.”  This Bible leads a person through Scripture in 2 years and includes daily devotions.  It may be purchased online at CPH or at Amazon.  Here is a link to purchase this devotional Bible.  https://www.amazon.com/Todays-Light-Devotional-Bible-Fryar/dp/0758643519/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18IZZOYD5KP0Z&keywords=today%27s+light+devotional+bible&qid=1701895876&sprefix=Today%27s+light+devotional%2Caps%2C432&sr=8-1

 

MEMORIALS AND SCHOLARSHIP FUND - If you would like to make a donation in memory of Pastor Robert Besalski, the Besalski family asks that you either make a donation to First Lutheran Church, or to Lutheran World Relief.  This information was supposed to be included in the obituary in the Gainesville Sun.  However, it was omitted when the obituary was printed.  Donations to First Lutheran will help fund a Besalski Scholarship for Church Work Students.

 

P.P.S.  FISHING J  - This week I spent time with friends, and golfing with friends, and did NOT make it fishing.  I hope to fish a number of times in the next week.  J  https://photos.app.goo.gl/dxhYHEVbRFm8K7uq9

 

*******

 

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as full-time senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Currently I am serving as Vacancy Pastor for First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, FL.)

        So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

        My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

                                                                        *******

Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

            Vacancy Pastor, First Lutheran Church, Gainesville, FL

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church, Palmer, AK

       


 

1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (1 John 3:1 a)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment