Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Seeking the Love of Submission in My Marriage, In Thanks and Reverence for Jesus' Love


Dear Fellow Children of God,



Saturday, June 20, I had the privilege of officiating at the wedding ceremony of Hans and Lauren (Saffer) Colberg.  The wedding was held at the home of the groom’s parents, Sig and Mary Colberg.  Family and friends gathered and celebrated the love and the marriage of these two Christian young people.  The wedding was beautiful.  The ceremony took place outside, with a breath-taking view of Pioneer Peak and the mountains.  Family and friends had worked for hours to set up a place where all could gather.  Arrangements had even been made for a washing station and masks, because of COVID-19.  The forecast had predicted rain. Nevertheless, the Lord smiled on us and by the time of the ceremony the rain had long stopped, and the sun shone through the clouds.  In fact, I should have worn a hat to protect my head from sunburn!  The bride and groom beamed, and the attendants were all dressed in their finest, as we sought God’s blessings on the couple and all sent them into married life with love and prayers.



However, this is not my only wedding ceremony planned for this summer.  I have been asked to perform other weddings in June, in July, and in August.  In addition, two other people have talked with me about possibly performing a Christian wedding for them.  June is known as a month for weddings.  And, I feel a need to share some personal feelings with you about weddings and marriage based on God’s Word.  Basically, I wish couples would exert as much effort on their marriage as they do on the ceremony.  The fruit of the labor to grow and strengthen a marriage is worth what it takes.



Scripture tells us that during Jesus’ ministry some Pharisees tried to test Jesus with a question about marriage.  3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, ‘Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?’" They were asking about all the ways a husband could end a marriage.  Jesus’ answer was not what these men expected. 4 "’Haven't you read,’ he replied, ‘that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’  5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?  6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.’"  (Matthew 19:3-6)  Perhaps you see the direction of this conversation.  The Jewish religious leaders were asking about how to get out of a marriage.  Jesus tells them that God’s plan is for people to work instead on strengthening their relationship and to remain in their marriage.



This is a very complicated subject about which I have taught long Bible classes.  But the basic premise is simple.  Grow your marriage in faith and love rather than spending time trying to end it.  I know from personal experience this is not always as easy as it sounds.  God did allow divorce for good reason.  But, when I see so much planning, so much effort, so much love, so much money spent on weddings, I wonder how often people spend the same time, effort, and finances on growing their marriage.



There is a hidden treasure in Jesus’ words above.  Many think that in verse 6 Jesus is just commanding the Pharisees what they, and we, are supposed to do.  But, Jesus is also speaking of real help.  6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Couple are “joined”, not just by their love, or their effort, or their commitment.  GOD is joining them together in His plan since the beginning of creation for men and women.  To know that God is active, working to join a couple together is a real gift!



My wife told me a story recently which I shared with the couple at Saturday’s wedding.  A lady asked Kathy at work about our marriage, and Kathy responded that we have been married for 42 years, going on 43 this summer.  The woman then asked, “How did you do this?”  To which Kathy responded, “Well, our marriage began with our faith life.  And, we laugh a lot.” 



I’m convinced that one of the most important, and forgotten verses of Scripture, when it comes to marriage is Ephesians 5:21.  21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.  In a section of Scripture which describes God’s Church, and also describes marriage, this verse tells how God’s perfect plan for sinful people can and should work.  Marriage is not me getting what I want.  Nor is marriage you getting what you think or want in our relationship.  Marriage is knowing the love of Jesus and seeking together to follow Him.  We submit ourselves, together, to know and follow Jesus.  Then the undeserved love of Jesus will help us to love one another even when love is tough.  The merciful forgiveness of Jesus will help us to forgive each other, and confession and forgiveness always include some difficulty.  As we put our faith into action in our marriage, our relationship to God grows.  And as our relationship grows with our Lord, who loves and forgives even sinners like us, then our marriage grows and is strengthened.



As I watched last Saturday while this couple began the adventure of their married life together in a beautifully planned ceremony, I pray for the same effort, and submission to one another out of reverence for Christ, for their whole marriage.  I was also thinking, that the same reminder, to “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. would be good for us older married folk too.



A Child of God, Seeking The Love of Submission in My Marriage in Thanks Reverence for Jesus’ Love,

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here are garden pictures from this week.  I told my wife and daughter, “If you want to see something that really gets you excited, go look at my garden!”  Mary looked at me with one raised eyebrow.  J  We have eaten two pickings of radishes, spinach, and red leaf lettuce so far.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/v9CibLezUgRoXqMU9



P.P.S.  Here are some pictures of our flowers. The columbine are doing wonderfully!  https://photos.app.goo.gl/riVJCXTvEBauL3Kh6



P,P.P.S.  I did some fishing.  On one trip grandson, Jake, reeled in his first king.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/rBMth1JSaJURU5eZ6





*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving them.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.






Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


No comments:

Post a Comment