Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Missing My Friend, "Bim" - Thankful He is With Jesus!


Dear Fellow Children of God,



I received a surprising phone call on Sunday afternoon, June 28.  As I was relaxing after Sunday lunch with my wife, Kathy, my phone rang with a call from Tina Everly, the niece and guardian of James “Bim” Hoylman.  Bim had died that afternoon from a heart attack.  I was surprised because just about 10 days earlier Bim and I had umpired a senior league game for the Palmer Little League.  He seemed healthy.  But, we never know when God will call.  In fact, when word got out about Bim’s passing St. John member, Diana Christensen called me.  Diana worked with Bim for years at Carrs.  She said Bim had called her that Sunday.  Diana too was surprised.



I first met Bim when he was umpiring a baseball game with his then caregiver, Pete, about 16 or 17 years ago.  I coached the Palmer Little League Majors team of my son, Tim, for 3 years.  Pete and Bim called some of our games.  You see, Bim stood out.  He was a mentally handicapped adult.  In some ways Bim was a big child.  But he loved baseball, and he loved umpiring.  One day as I was buying groceries at Carrs I saw Bim bagging groceries.  He said, “Hi Coach.  How’s your team?”  Well, Tim had progressed beyond my level of baseball knowledge.  So, I told Bim I was umpiring rather than coaching.  Bim indicated that he and Pete were no longer umpiring and he would like to do so again. I estimate that Bim and I umpired games for Palmer Little League going on 15 years. 



When I umpired with Bim he would make a call and then look at me to see if he got it right.  Before the games I would tell the coaches that if they disagreed with a call we could talk it over and try to make it right.  Our last game of umpiring was June 18.  Bim had a call at third base, and the coaches did come to me and ask for clarification.  But, they were glad Bim was there.



I would pick up Bim for the games and he knew that I was a pastor, so he would talk with me about faith issues.  He talked about his prayers.  He shared some concerns.  Then, after a couple of years Bim told me that he wanted to be baptized.  So, at his baptism on March 16, 2014, Bim became an active member of St. John.  He received a ride so he could attend Sunday worship.  Then he started also attending worship on Wednesdays.  After a while, Bim began to usher for both services.  He loved helping with the Colony Days Picnic and Parade at St. John.  And he wouldn’t miss a Church Camping outing.  Bim found a home and a family at St. John.



That doesn’t mean that Bim’s child-like behavior was always easy to deal with.  Bim would call the office to tell me he needed a broom for umpiring.  Of course, I was often out of the office.  So Judy Stahancyk, our Administrative Assistant would take the calls, and the calls, and the calls – even in the middle of winter.  Judy told me, “Buy that man a broom!”   At a marriage retreat one year we had a number of people who drove on Sundays and picked up people for church, including Bim.  Somehow one person mentioned him, and the majority of the men started sharing stories.  It seems that on Sundays Bim liked to go home last.  But, he also liked to stop at the store to “get a paper.”  Somehow, “getting a paper” always included more than just a paper.  And, if he got your phone number Bim would call, often.  It seems some others had told Bim I was busy and not to call me so much.  So, when Bim called to talk, he would then apologize for calling.  I told him he could call when he needed to do so.



But, for all Bim’s idiosyncrasies, I will miss him.  St. John will miss him.  I had some quick reactions from St. John members after learning about Bim’s death.  Karl Kopperud is current president of St. John, and often drove Bim to and from church.  Karl said, “Bim and I were set to get his paper this morning.  I had wondered why he didn’t answer his phone when I called.  He always said that Jesus was coming soon.  I guess this was the day!” 



Dave Nufer is often in the sound booth taking care of details there for worship, and Bim would ask Dave to fill out prayer cards for him.  Dave commented, “I know he is in a better place and no longer in pain.  He told me last week to remember to invite Pastor Schultz to his birthday.  He said he didn’t think he would be in church today.  Bim is camping with Jesus.  Praise the Lord!”



Dave Sutton has organized drivers at St. John for many years.  Dave responded, “Thanks, Pastor, for sharing.  We will miss him so much.  He is a colorful member of our congregation.”



Bim often told me he believed in Jesus, that he loved Jesus, and that He IS coming.  Yet, in spite of any struggles he had, Bim loved life here.  I believe the words of St. Paul in Philippians 1 are appropriate for Bim, with a different ending.  21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.” (Phil. 1:21-23 ESV)



Jesus taught his disciples, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' (Matt. 25:40 ESV)  Yet, I wonder.  When family and friends and church members helped Bim, who gained more, us or him? Who really was “the least of these”?



A Child of God, Missing my Friend, Bim, Thankful He is with Jesus!

Pastor Jonathan



P.S.  Here are a few pictures of Bim from 2019, and a picture from his baptism in 2014.    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2agoNmXgSxcu7GkX7





P.P.S.  I did some fishing. . . again.

·       My daughter, Mary, and I took a halibut charter out of Ninilchik with Pastor Tony Schultz and friends on Friday, June 26.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PeDEZHsqpPiNFAaX9


·       I went fishing with friend, Fred Deusing, near his home on Monday, June 29.  We had discussed salmon fishing, but when I mentioned 4:30 a.m., Fred decided he was more interested in the fishing and the fellowship than working hard to catch a big salmon.  We had a great day, which included lunch prepared by Fred’s wife, Ellen.  Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7cEVnwni8Gj1frag8







*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

            A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving them.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.





Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net




No comments:

Post a Comment