Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Trusting God's Wisdom When I Lack it!


Dear Fellow Children of God,

What do you do when someone asks you a question for which you don’t have an answer?

On July 12 at the wedding of Chebon Jimenez and Laurelee Zola I asked Chebon’s aunt a question.  Ellen Lentz Bang is a nurse practitioner who operates All Seasons Family Health Care.  As we discussed the situation with the coronavirus I asked her what she thought.  Ellen’s answer to my question was, “That’s above my pay grade.”  She didn’t have an answer.

Sometimes people think that pastors have most, or even all the answers to life.  If anyone wants to come talk with me, I can educate you on my lack of knowledge in many, MANY, areas.  But, I am still often asked, “Pastor, what do you think about the coronavirus?”  I could give my opinion.  But, you know what is said about opinions – they are like armpits.  Everybody has one.

COVID-19 Numbers are increasing.  In some states more of the infected are in hospitals.  How serious is this disease?  And what about the many who are a-symptomatic?  What about those with pre-existing conditions that make them susceptible to the lung problems caused by this virus? What is the best way for us as a society to face these questions? The truth is, I don’t know.

I an saw article from the Barna Institute which studies churches.  The article says, One in Three Practicing Christians Has Stopped Attending Church During COVID-19.”  For a while, when states suspended worship in order to stop spread of the disease, many Christians were attending worship on-line.  But, reports are that those numbers have greatly decreased.  And what about the third commandment where God commands, “Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep it Holy?” What about keeping our faith strong through the word and sacraments, through worship and service?  How does the Jesus’ church deal with the dangers, the fears, and also answer the call to serve our Lord?    The truth is, I don’t know.

I have 2 grown children who are teachers.  The School District has a plan for starting school again.  They will teach as directed by their leaders.  But, what if students pass on the disease to other students.  What if teachers get sick?  And if the schools close, what will happen to parents who need to leave home for work?    The truth is, I don’t know.

I do not have the answers to these questions.  But, perhaps I can share 3 bits of wisdom which are directing me in this time of my lack of knowledge.  First, throughout Scripture the 2 great commandments according to Jesus are, 29  . . . "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:28-31)  How do these commandments help me face the questions we have about this disease?  I am relatively healthy, so I am attending church services to worship my Lord regularly.  In addition, even when I don’t have the answers to these questions, God calls me to love Him and to love others.  So, I’m trying to follow a promotional poster I saw from the state of Arizona which said, “My mask does not protect me.  It protects you.”  Therefore, when in public I hope to remember to wear a mask so that I don’t hurt someone else unknowingly. 

Second, Lutheran Christians have many teachings based on Scripture.   I find direction in a document called “The Formula of Concord,” in the 10th thesis of this document.  Lutheran Christians say that if something is commanded or forbidden by the word of God we are bound by the clear word of God.  However, in areas where there is no clear word of God commanding or forbidding, we have freedom, freedom to serve God and to love others.  I should not criticize your freedom, nor should you criticize mine.  Unfortunately, because of the lack of clear direction, this whole epidemic has become very divisive.  My oldest son says that he has been publicly criticized, or as he says “given the stink-eye”, both for wearing a mask and for forgetting to wear a mask.  My wife, Kathy, was asked her opinion by a friend about how to deal with this epidemic.  She has said to family and friends that, “I won’t change anyone else’s mind.  I will do what I think is right.”  She shares her opinions when asked, and seeks to live as a child of God.  I hope to do the same thing.

Third and finally, in 1 Corinthians 1 God tells us about His wisdom.  22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” (1 Corinthians  1:22-25 )  In a world that raises questions for which we don’t have clear answers, there is one who has all wisdom: the Lord.  God’s wisdom is greater and stronger than our opinions, or our so-called wisdom.  God’s greatest wisdom is Jesus, who was crucified to pay for the sin of the world.  Death by crucifixion does not seem wise.  But Jesus is the greatest wisdom of the world, God’s wisdom.  In Jesus’ life and death and resurrection God offers eternal life.  When we don’t know how to answer, there IS one who is wise.  We find that wisdom in Jesus. 

I don’t have the answers to questions I receive concerning the coronavirus.  But, I hope I will choose to love and trust God and His wisdom.  I pray I’ll work to love my neighbor and act in freedom to serve my Lord and to serve them.  Finally, I will trust the wisdom, the power, and the love of my Lord and Savior of the universe.  I don’t have the answers, but I trust that God has answers for life here, and for eternity.

A Child of God, Trusting God’s Wisdom When I Lack It!
Pastor Jonathan

P.S.  I have been on the Kenai peninsula for over a week.
·       Here are pictures of family fun.
o   A walk with some of my grandchildren.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkjYbVaTtWMBeRqY8

o   Twelve Rockeys camping together.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3QDZ5sqg5rYfsK2A

o   Taking grandchildren fishing.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6ABycD2iJYrn3Ch6

·       I have done some fishing, but not yet catching.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/9JobFbJrk5b1Pc9n9



*****

ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.
            A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving them.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.


Child of God
Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather
Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church
907-841-4066 – cell
907-746-5131 – home




No comments:

Post a Comment