Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Just What We Need - Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega

Dear Fellow Children of God,


December has arrived.  Decorations are displayed everywhere.  Most people think of the Christmas season and the church season of Advent as a time of anticipation, a time of expectation and joy.  But, for those who have experienced deep loss at this time of year, the memories of tragedy and loss do not bring joy, but often grief and sorrow.  What perhaps makes this sorrow more difficult is that, when everyone else seems joyful and excited, but we are experiencing memories of grief and sadness, our loss and sadness can feel worse by comparison.  In fact, when everyone else might experience Advent and Christmas as the “happiest time of the year,” those who have experienced tragedy and loss can fall into deep depression.


I was shocked and saddened to read this week about the murder of 4 individuals in the 

Mat-Su community.  But other experiences have also seemed to pull me toward sadness.  While in Florida I found out that the brain cancer of a pastor friend has steadily grown worse.  I’m told he recently had his third surgery in the last 6 months.  I learned that the mother of one of the members of St. John passed away after being ill for a long time.  But, perhaps closest to home, one of the young men who is part of the St. John family died this past week at a very young age.  These realities of loss and tragedy can bring the joy of the season into question.


However, I’m convinced that our Lord still speaks to us today.  For me God speaks most often through His Word.  I am often surprised by how timely my daily devotions are in relation to what is happening in my life at that time.  So, on Wednesday, December 2, my daily devotions included reading Revelation 1.  In this time of losses and tragedies, this Word from our Lord spoke to me.


Chapter 1 of Revelation tells us that the Apostle John was to share these words of Jesus with seven churches in what is now in the country of Turkey.  These congregations needed assurance and help because they were all facing persecution of some kind.  It is natural in times of trouble to ask, “Where is God?”  The Christians in Asia Minor were wondering, “If Jesus has died and then risen from the dead, if Jesus really is victorious, why are we facing these trials and tribulations?”  


In this very first chapter of the final book of Scriptures Jesus begins His answer to these questions about the why of our suffering and losses by simply sharing who He is.  “ ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘“who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’”  (Revelation 1:8)  In other words, Jesus is the beginning and the end.  He has always been the Almighty, the All Powerful Lord of all.  Jesus was there when the foundations of the earth were laid.  But, this all powerful ruler of all is still with us, and He is coming again!  Jesus gives this assurance to the persecuted church at the end of John’s life,   Jesus assures us in our times of grief and loss that He is with us and, He always will be with us.


For those whose loss includes the illness or death of a loved one, and we all do experience these losses at some time in our lives, Jesus gives even more assurance, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.”  (Revelation 1:17b-18)  Jesus assures us that He died, but He then rose again and is alive.  Jesus comforts us with the fact that He is the one who holds the keys to, the one who rules over death and judgement.  In other words, Jesus who died to pay for the sin of the whole world, to pay for our sins, has overcome these sins.  He is stronger than death!  We may experience losses and tragedy, illness and death, but our Lord and Savior even rules over these enemies of ours.


Even in the joyful seasons of Advent and Christmas tragedy and loss can hit us and cause grief and suffering, questions and doubts.  But, Jesus’ message to us in this world of sin and death, this world of loss and grief is that, even if we don’t understand, He is still the Almighty Lord ruling all things for His people.  “Fear not, I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” Actually, that is what Advent and Christmas is about.  Jesus has come.  Jesus is present in our lives right now.  Jesus is coming again!  That really is reason for peace and joy, even in this world of sin and pain and death. 


A Child of God, Thankful That Just When We Need it, Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  This past week was a busy one.





    • On Tuesday, December 1, my brother-in-law, Mark Reaves and I went fishing on Alto Lake.  (It was cold and we only caught one fish.  I took no pictures.)





*****


ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

        HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.




No comments:

Post a Comment