Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Praying that the New Person God Made Me Will Bless Others in 2021

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,


I got a text from St. John member, Jim Summers, this week sharing a New Year’s joke.  Maybe you have seen this one.  “At 12:01 a.m. on January 1, for the first time ever, ‘Hind Sight will actually be 2020!’”  (Groan)  As you know, the calendar year 2020 is about over, or may be completed when you read this devotion.  We are at the beginning of the year called 2021 A.D.  New York holds a big party every year on New Year’s Eve in Times Square to celebrate the end of one year and beginning of another.  I’ve been told that people are really looking forward to the end of 2020. With our national division in an election year, and with the coronavirus pandemic, 2020 has been tough.  No wonder I hear people say that they are full of hope for a better year in 2021.

 

So, will 2021 actually be better than 2020?  Will the vaccine bring the end to the pandemic?  If the pandemic eases, will our country be able to meet together again in worship? Will children attend school without fear of infection? Will it be legal and safe to eat a meal in restaurants?  Might we even take in a movie?  Will the hateful divisions and fighting in our country stay in the rear view mirror?  Will our personal setbacks and losses in 2020 be forgotten in the coming year?  Will 2021 actually be a better year for us than 2020 has been?

 

No one knows what 2021 will bring, except that our Lord knows all things.  However, you and I do know from experience that there are plenty of problems to be found throughout life.  The explanation for our struggles is simple.  The Lord of All created our world in power, in wisdom, and in love.  But, the world which God created, AND all of us, have rebelled against the Creator and Ruler of all.  Our sinfulness leads to personal failures.  Our sin brings disappointment.  Our rebellion causes hurt feelings, injustice, and suffering.  We can pray that 2021 will be a better year, but we know that we will still experience problems and disappointments.  In fact, as I just finished reading through Scripture again, I recently read the book of Revelation.  As I read this book of prophecy inspired by God, I hear God’s revelation that the forces of evil will always exist in this world. In fact, opposition to God’s people and their faith will increase as the end draws closer.  Christians believe the fight against evil will always be part of our lives in this world.  Therefore, we know that the future will hold trouble, whether in 2021 or in another coming year.

 

We can’t change the fact that we live in a sinful world full of suffering and problems, full of hate and injustice, full of pain and loss.  But, there is something we can change.  We can change our lives and the way we live.  God inspired St. Paul to give a description of the new life we live.  14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”  (2 Corinthians 5:14-17)

 

In a sinful world we are made new by the love of Jesus who died for us.  Jesus died on the cross to forgive our sins and to give us new hearts.  Jesus rose to give eternal life to all who believe in Him.  In the midst of a world of pain and disappointment, Jesus offers hope and joy.  In a world where all face death, Jesus gives eternal life.  We have a sure future.  Our lives in this world are new!  We can all live as the new people God made us to be!  And . . . because Jesus has given us NEW LIFE, we can make a difference in this world.

 

To sum this up, the world around us may not change for the better, but personally, as a new child of God, I can make the world around me better.  Jesus loved me, I can love others.  Jesus forgave me, I can forgive others.  Jesus made me new, and Jesus made my world better with his grace and salvation.  I can make the sinful world around me a better place with the love God gave me.  Or as Paul also wrote in 2 Corinthians, “3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.”  (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)  Because Jesus has comforted me, I can comfort others.  As a person made new by Jesus, I can make 2021 better for those in my life.

 

The calendar year 2020 has been a tough one.  Who knows what 2021 will bring.  But, God has made me new in Jesus and I can bring God and his love to those in my life during 2021.

 

A Child of God, Praying that the New Person God Made me Will Bless Others in 2021!

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  My wife and I were surprised by a Christmas Movie we watched for free on Amazon Prime.  You may want to watch “The Perfect Gift.” The IMDB description is as follows: “A spoiled schoolgirl, her overworked executive mother, and a disillusioned young minister each receives an uplifting message about friendship, commitment, and the truest meaning of Christmas from a friendly, but mysterious drifter.”  This movie deals with the struggle of God’s church in our world to celebrate the real meaning of Christmas.  Here is a link to the movie site.  The Perfect Gift (2009) - IMDb

 

 

P.P.S.  I did go fishing a couple of times this past week.

·       On Sunday, December 27,  I took my son, Josh, and my daughter, Mary, and 5 of my grandchildren fishing.  We only caught 1 fish, but they had a LOT of fun. Here are some pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/iH1Z1qCaerM82PZY7

 

·       On Monday, December 28, Kym Miller came fishing with me.  We caught 15 fish and kept our limit of 10.  Here are some pictures of this trip.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Mnmyg2pDMw4BrpS8

 

 

*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I am now retired from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  My weekly devotion was previously titled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  However, with life's changes I now call the devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God."  I am only sending this message to those who have asked to receive it.  If you know someone else who desires to receive this message, have them e-mail me at jonrock53@mtaonline.net.  I will include them on my distribution list. You can also view this message on my Facebook page.

        HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME WHY THEY ARE NO LONGER RECEIVING MY DEVOTIONS.  Since I’m only sending these e-mails to people who ask for them, many are no longer receiving these messages.  BUT, if you read this on Facebook and would like to receive these devotions by e-mail, or if you know someone who would like to receive these devotions, send me an e-mail at jonrock53@mtaonline.net, and I will add you to my distribution list.

 

                                                                        *******

 



Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment