Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A Personal Story - Moved by Jesus' Loving Sacrificial Humility for Me!

 

Dear Fellow Children of God,

 

I have saved this story for a couple of months.  Perhaps it will give you a laugh, and we can learn a lesson together.

 

In December of last year, having finished quarantine time for COVID exposure, I went to get my hair cut.  These days I go to Stan’s Country Cutts.  While in the chair, with one of Stan’s stylists cutting the little hair I have, Stan made a joke.  “Don’t move the part,” he told the young lady working my hair.  Being bald as I am, pretty much my whole head is a “part.” 

 

My reply to Stan was, “I could shave it all off.”  I do have two sons who already wear their hair, or lack of it, by shaving their whole head bald.  Stan then came back with another zinger.  “You know, they’re doing some creative things with tattoos on bald spots these days.”  If you know Stan, he has such a tattoo.  Stan continued to joke, “You could get a cross tattoo, or something like that.  I’ll even pay for it.”

 

At the same time, sitting in the chair next to me was St. John member, Marta Kopperud, with her long blond locks.  At this point Marta chimed in.  “I’ll help pay if you get a tattoo on your head.” (I taught Marta in confirmation classes over 25 years ago.)  I asked Marta, “You want me to get a tattoo?  Do you even have one?”  I’m sure you know that tattoos are very popular today with people younger than I am.  Marta continued, “No, none of us Kopperud children have tattoos.  But, if you’ll get one, I will too!”  I considered the situation and responded to Marta, “Your mom wouldn’t be very happy with me if you got a tattoo because of Pastor Rockey!”

 

Maybe you have had a little laugh as you read this account of some “barbershop banter.”  The thing that makes this whole conversation funny, to me at least, ridiculous even, is that getting a tattoo is just not who I am.  I don’t have anything against people who decide to get a tasteful tattoo.  I understand it is a form of self-expression.  In fact, two of my children sport some ink.  But, I am a traditional person.  I seek to find my values, my likes and my dislikes, from Scripture.  I try to let my life and my actions adorn my life and speak for me, more so than some outward sign.  Those who know me would say that something has changed if I decided to get a tattoo.  It’s just not me!

 

Perhaps you also know that it took a little humility to poke fun of myself and share this story.  It actually would be nice to have a full head of hair.  But, that’s not me today either.  Maybe, being willing to humble myself in this very small way gave you a chuckle.

 

Now let’s talk about real humility, real lowering of oneself.  Do you know what Scripture says about Jesus?  Please consider a few verses.  In Philippians 2:5-9, God inspired Paul to write, “5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!  Now THAT’S humility!  The Son of God Himself, gave up His divine nature to become a man and to die the death of a criminal, bleeding and suffocating to death on a cross, for us!

 

Or, consider these words from 2 Corinthians 5:19 b, and 21.  19 . . . God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.  . . 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”  The holy Son of God took our sin, and the punishment for that sin, on Himself, suffering and dying for us, that we might be made righteous in the sight of our Heavenly Father.  For the holy Lord of all to take our sin upon Himself, THAT is humility.

 

During the season of Lent, in response to the humble sacrifice of Jesus, some Christians give up something for this short period of time.  If self-denial comes from a heart thankful for the love of Jesus, and if it helps us in a small way to understand the so much bigger sacrifice of Jesus, then Lenten sacrifice can be a helpful exercise.  But, what God really wants is not just a small part of my life, for a short period of time.  Consider one more verse from 2 Corinthians 8:9 which describes the humility and servant attitude of Jesus.  “9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.”  Jesus gave up heaven for me, so that I might gain heaven with Him!  How should I respond?  Please consider also what Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 5:15.  15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 

 

Yes, we are observing the church season of Lent, a time to consider the opposition, the suffering, the death of Jesus, His humbling of Himself in love to save us.  Yes, as we observe Lent some give up something in order to remember the bigger sacrifice of Jesus.  But, if Jesus humbled Himself by giving His life for me, don’t I want to live my life for him?  This Lent, please consider not just what you will give up.  Consider how you might more fully live for the one who humbled Himself for us.

 

A Child of God, Humbled by Jesus’ Loving, Sacrificial, Humility for Me,

Pastor Jonathan


P.S.  2 Corinthians is one of the books of Scripture which speaks loudly to my heart.  2 Corinthians 5 is one of my favorite chapters.  I have included verses 14-21 of 2 Corinthians 5 below for your consideration.

 

P.P.S.  I went fishing in Florida a number of times.  Here are some pictures. 

·       On Thursday, February 25, I tried to fish in one lake, but it was closed, so I went to another close lake, Watermelon Pond.  I had no bites, but . . . it was a GLORIOUS evening.  Here is a picture of a sunset.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/yuypwarCNuFMzjWG9

 

·       On Sunday, February 28, I took a late trip to a favorite lake.  The weather was windy, but near sunset I had a couple of bites.  Here are a couple of pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/RBqWMsm2T2rros35A

 

·       On Tuesday, March 2, I drove to the Suwannee River.  The river is already near flood stage from recent rains, and it rained on me some more.  I did have two bites in this favorite fishing spot, and caught 1 bass.  Here are a few pictures.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/fuAEEqvgguzFPG9F6

 

*****



ABOUT THIS DEVOTION - I retired at the end of August 2019 from serving as senior pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Palmer, AK.  I was writing a weekly devotion previously entitled, "Thoughts from the Pastor."  When I retired many asked me to continue writing these devotions.  So I have continued writing.  However, with life's changes I now call this weekly devotion "Journeys Through Life as a Child of God." 

Since I am no longer senior pastor at St. John, I felt it right to only send this message to those who asked to receive it.  (Though I am now serving again part-time at St. John as assistant to the pastor.)  Perhaps you also know that I “killed” my computer on November 7, 2020.  In so doing I lost, for a time at least, all my e-mail contacts.  So, I was really goofed up.  Many who were receiving this devotion each week were no longer receiving it.  I tried to rebuild my distribution list, but I am not sure how accurate I have been. 

            So, if you stopped receiving these devotions and wondered why, now you understand.  And, if you are now receiving these devotions and do not wish to receive them, please let me know, and I’ll gladly remove your name from my distribution list.  My e-mail address is jonrock53@mtaonline.net.

            My prayer is that these devotions help each of you in your daily walk with our Lord, Jesus.

 

 

                                                                        *******

 

2 Corinthians 5:14-21  (A great section of Scripture about God’s Gracious Love in Jesus!)

14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.



Jonathan Rockey

Child of God

Husband, Father, Son, Grandfather

Pastor Emeritus, St. John Lutheran Church

E-Mail: jonrock53@mtaonline.net


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read! Your family activities and photos are a joy as well as this! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete